Athens- DIY walking tour?

kathew

Our ship gets in at 7 and leaves at 5. How realistic is this walking tour:

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zI4Y_gwIZN-A.kmNjfJ7q9ZKY

(It wouldn't let me draw the lines in the Acropolis, so it isn't quite accurate for the first part)

We plan on taking a taxi to get there, and then going from Monastiraki station station back to the port.

Any advice would be wonderful!!!

Well you will certainly get plenty of walking exercise and be "ruined" for your day :). We would suggest deviating from your carefully constructed course and browse the streets, shops, and perhaps have lunch, in the Plaka. We also strongly recommend that any first-time visitor take the time to explore the new Acropolis Museum (located near the Acropolis entrance) which is a perfect adjunct to visiting the Acropolis.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Thanks for your quick response! I guess I should make it clear that we're in our mid-twenties and used to walking/hiking in the heat for long periods of time. So my main concern would be if we have enough time to see these places and get back to the ship. We aren't really interested in the museum. Maybe another time if we have more than just a day :)

Yes, it's very doable given the way you describe yourselves. I did a similar walking route and I was in my late 40s and no hiker, by any means. I will note that your actual route will be a little different as you'll make better use of shortcuts, sidewalks, and paths you will discover when you get there or when you work with a tourist map and factor in the location of site entry points and such. I took the subway too/from the ship. I think I might have had an extra hour in port too, though. You can adjust yourselves in the afternoon as needed.

Edited by MeHeartCruising

All that walking and you miss the Plaka.

Not sure how your going to spend time getting from the ship to your starting point, do all of that walking, spend time seeing the sites (Acropolis, museums, etc), eat, and get back to the ship in time?

Check out the Red/Blue hop-on/hop-off bus. It will pick you up and drop you off at the cruise ship. You can hop off anytime you want, walk, site-see, eat, and hop back on. It's only about 22 Euro It will help you see all the sites on your list/map and more. Plus you can still walk as much as you want.

This is what I've got planned for May, 2014, when we visit Greece on the RCCL Splendour of the Seas.

Hop-on/Hop-off:

http://www.citysightseeing.gr/red-and-blue-route/tour-map/

PLAKA:

Edited by Ron98GT

• 2 weeks later...

(It wouldn't let me draw the lines in the Acropolis, so it isn't quite accurate for the first part)

We plan on taking a taxi to get there, and then going from Monastiraki station station back to the port.

On what date will you be at the Acropolis? My wife and I will be there June 20th and would be very interested how your day turns out. I've been doing some research to do exactly what you are planning.

Thanks!

Steve

On what date will you be at the Acropolis? My wife and I will be there June 20th and would be very interested how your day turns out. I've been doing some research to do exactly what you are planning.

Thanks!

Steve

We won't be there until later July. You will have to let me know if it works out & if you have any advice :)

We won't be there until later July. You will have to let me know if it works out & if you have any advice :)

More than happy to. We are trying to do as much on our own as possible since many of the tours are pricey and include things that we don't really want to do. I'm trying to gather as much info as possible, so if there are other things you are planning to do on your own, let me know and we may give those a try to test out.

More than happy to. We are trying to do as much on our own as possible since many of the tours are pricey and include things that we don't really want to do. I'm trying to gather as much info as possible, so if there are other things you are planning to do on your own, let me know and we may give those a try to test out.

We are the same way! Where all are you going?

We are the same way! Where all are you going?

Barcelona; Toulon; Livorno; Civitavecchia; Naples; Mykonos; Istanbul; Kusadasi; Athens; Venice

And trying to do most stuff on our own has definitely kept me busy.

All that walking and you miss the Plaka.

I find the Plaka touristy and definitely missable if you are not into shopping for souvenirs or eating what is, for the most part, food that is geared for tourists. (Yes, there are a few good restaurants in the area, but perhaps better experienced if one is staying in Athens and can go there for dinner.)

To the OP: I can't see anything when I click on your link. Can you describe what you have planned?

Barcelona; Toulon; Livorno; Civitavecchia; Naples; Mykonos; Istanbul; Kusadasi; Athens; Venice

And trying to do most stuff on our own has definitely kept me busy.

Me too!!!

We're also doing Civitavecchia, Istanbul (sort of), Kusadasi, Athens, and Venice.

Livorno:

Let me know what you decide for Livorno. I think we might have to give in and take a tour to Pisa/Florence so we're not stressing out. From what I've read it seems stressful to try to make it to both on our own. We'll see..

Rome:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/41.892872,12.484536/Trevi+Fountain,+Piazza+di+Trevi,+00187+Roma,+Italy/Pantheon,+Piazza+della+Rotonda,+00186+Roma,+Italy/Piazza+Navona,+00186+Roma,+Italy/St.+Peter's+Basilica,+Vatican+City/@41.8975963,12.4607708,15z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m28!4m27!1m1!4e1!1m5!1m1!1s0x132f6053278340d5:0xf676f1e1cc02bbb6!2m2!1d12.483313!2d41.900932!1m5!1m1!1s0x132f604f678640a9:0xcad165fa2036ce2c!2m2!1d12.476873!2d41.898611!1m5!1m1!1s0x132f6083c19d1c3d:0xa35724562e82334a!2m2!1d12.473072!2d41.899162!1m5!1m1!1s0x132f6061b7149b59:0x724bf077cd875283!2m2!1d12.453937!2d41.902167!3e2?hl=en

I got this from:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1982534

Kusadasi

Our cruise ship just switched from Izmir to Kusadasi, so I'm not sure about that one anymore. It should make it easier since it's closer to Ephesus. What are you doing for that? That's another place where we're considering taking a private tour with other CC members. With 10+ people it's $45pp w/ lunch which doesn't seem bad. I can give you more info on that tour if you're interested.

Venice

Our cruise leaves and arrives in Venice. Haven't looked at that yet either.

Istanbul

We will have day-long layovers in Istanbul, but our actual cruise doesn't stop there. I haven't started planning this yet.

I find the Plaka touristy and definitely missable if you are not into shopping for souvenirs or eating what is, for the most part, food that is geared for tourists. (Yes, there are a few good restaurants in the area, but perhaps better experienced if one is staying in Athens and can go there for dinner.)

To the OP: I can't see anything when I click on your link. Can you describe what you have planned?

Yes, thanks!

It's basically:

1) Taxi from cruise port to Anafiotika

2) Acropolis

3) Theater of Dionysus

4) Temple of Zeus

5) Ancient Olympic Stadium

6) Walk through gardens to Syntagma Square

7) Ancient Agora

8)Temple of Hephaestus

9) Monastiraki Station, or taxi if we're lacking on time to get to the port

Yes, thanks!

It's basically:

1) Taxi from cruise port to Anafiotika

2) Acropolis

3) Theater of Dionysus

4) Temple of Zeus

5) Ancient Olympic Stadium

6) Walk through gardens to Syntagma Square

7) Ancient Agora

8)Temple of Hephaestus

9) Monastiraki Station, or taxi if we're lacking on time to get to the port

I'm going to assume you've put the Acropolis first in order to get there before the crowds. However, your planned route is a little cumbersome. If you have the time, get a taxi as early as you can and have them run you by the stadium first. Grab a photo, then have them drop you off at the Temple of Zeus (you can get your inclusive ticket here for all the other sites). After seeing this, walk down Dionysiu Areopagitou to right below the Theatre of Dionysus. From here it's a pleasant walk up to the Acropolis and you can see the Theater on your way up.

Coming down, it would make sense to go to the Agora next (the Temple of Hephaestus is actually in the Agora). The Roman forum is right next to the Agora, if you want to see it; the Temple of the Winds is certainly interesting and your ticket includes it.

There are some reasonable places on Adrianou street to stop for a quick bite beside the Agora. Also, the green line metro (which takes you back to Piraeus) is right next to the Agora.

Frankly, I would recommend skipping Syntagma Square; it's not much to see (although pleasant). Use any extra time to spend in the small museum in the Agora or the Roman forum.

I'm going to assume you've put the Acropolis first in order to get there before the crowds. However, your planned route is a little cumbersome. If you have the time, get a taxi as early as you can and have them run you by the stadium first. Grab a photo, then have them drop you off at the Temple of Zeus (you can get your inclusive ticket here for all the other sites). After seeing this, walk down Dionysiu Areopagitou to right below the Theatre of Dionysus. From here it's a pleasant walk up to the Acropolis and you can see the Theater on your way up.

Coming down, it would make sense to go to the Agora next (the Temple of Hephaestus is actually in the Agora). The Roman forum is right next to the Agora, if you want to see it; the Temple of the Winds is certainly interesting and your ticket includes it.

There are some reasonable places on Adrianou street to stop for a quick bite beside the Agora. Also, the green line metro (which takes you back to Piraeus) is right next to the Agora.

Frankly, I would recommend skipping Syntagma Square; it's not much to see (although pleasant). Use any extra time to spend in the small museum in the Agora or the Roman forum.

Yes, I messed that up. Acropolis first. Thank you so much for your advice!

We walk a lot and essentially did this walking tour, although we didn't follow a set tour. We had Rick Steves book. We also visited the Acropolis, New Acropolis museum and got there and back using the METRO from the port.

Use the METRO, unless you really need to save time. The taxis at the port try to rip you off.

Edited by 4774Papa
error

This is great - thank you Cruisemom42.

Hi, We are on a similar cruise and trying to not get into the big tours with 50 people and a guide that you can't understand. I have downloaded Rick Steve's free audio guides onto my Ipod and so far have listed to several. His tour of the Sistine Chapel is right! I can see walking around sites like the Acropolis and have crystal clear information right there. Anyway something to think about if you are doing the DIY thing. Chris

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, We are on a similar cruise and trying to not get into the big tours with 50 people and a guide that you can't understand. I have downloaded Rick Steve's free audio guides onto my Ipod and so far have listed to several. His tour of the Sistine Chapel is right! I can see walking around sites like the Acropolis and have crystal clear information right there. Anyway something to think about if you are doing the DIY thing. Chris

Hey concertfan :) We're on the same cruise!

Just wanted to pop in here and tell the OP and concertfan that we used two of Rick Steve's podcasts in Athens and it worked well (went in June 2012). I would advise both of you to go straight to the Acropolis as early as you can. We didn't arrive there until about 10:15 a.m. or so and the line was about an hour long. We did the Acropolis and then lunch in Restaurant Row/Plaka. Then we did the podcast from Syntagma Square through the shopping streets (the latter wasn't really that interesting) with some more wandering around the Plaka and window shopping before returning to the ship using the Metro.

We skipped the Agora as by then in our cruise we were a bit ruined out (had already done Rome/Istanbul/Ephesus).

Thanks!! This is our first port after 2 days at sea, so hopefully we'll be well rested and ready to explore!

Hey concertfan :) We're on the same cruise!

Just wanted to pop in here and tell the OP and concertfan that we used two of Rick Steve's podcasts in Athens and it worked well (went in June 2012). I would advise both of you to go straight to the Acropolis as early as you can. We didn't arrive there until about 10:15 a.m. or so and the line was about an hour long. We did the Acropolis and then lunch in Restaurant Row/Plaka. Then we did the podcast from Syntagma Square through the shopping streets (the latter wasn't really that interesting) with some more wandering around the Plaka and window shopping before returning to the ship using the Metro.

We skipped the Agora as by then in our cruise we were a bit ruined out (had already done Rome/Istanbul/Ephesus).

Hey concertfan :) I would advise both of you to go straight to the Acropolis as early as you can. We didn't arrive there until about 10:15 a.m. or so and the line was about an hour long.

I want to echo the advise about Acropolis.

Acropolis site does not get huge queues, except the couple of hours between perhaps 09.15am and 11.30am when cruise ship visitors arrive by thousands. For these two hours it is crowded up there. Visiting as early as possible may give you some time ahead the large groups arriving on coaches. So, basically what we are talking about is trying to beat your fellow co-passengers.

This is a constant problem in summer months: cruise ships arrive more or less at the same time, so coach tours arrive at the same time too. As far as i know no cruise ships stay longer than let's say 8pm which would probably give time to passengers visit the site in the afternoon, splitting the crowds. Acropolis site is such a different and majestic experience when you visit it early in the morning: quiet and you practically share the site with a few visitors. By 9.30am ish it is getting really crowded.

So, where the problem is:

Ticket line gets big. Entry line in the main gates is also a problem, since people have to queue there too. So, you have to wait to get a ticket ( big groups skip that i guess ), you also have to wait to get in.

Q. I am spending the night in Athens and have morning time to visit Acropolis site:

A. Go up there first thing in the morning, planning to be in front of the ticket booth at 07.40 - 07.45am, being the first person to queue. It is an early start but it will give you time ahead the large groups arriving later. You 'll enjoy the monument with less people and less heat. If you can be there so early in the morning use main Gates, main ticket booth. If you even want to skip the ticket line, only way to do it is to purchase your ticket at one of the included sites prior day and keeping the Acropolis segment to use it next morning, going directly to the gate. An easy spot to do so is Theater of Dionussus ticket booth, across the pedestrian street of Acropolis Museum.

Q. Is there a way to bypass the lines?

A. Only way to really bypass it is to be up there at 07.40am to get the first tickets, when the lines are short. A small queue forms in front of the ticket booth but, srsly, nothing too long. By 8am gates open and those on first tickets enjoy the monument for themselves.

Q. What if i cannot be up there at 07.40am?

A. If you arrive at later time when other cruise ship passengers have already arrived ( talking about the coach tours ), then you can partially bypass both the ticket line and the line on the main gate, by purchasing your ticket and using an Acropolis gate at some other point. Best point to do so is the ticket booth at Theater of Dionussus site ( included in your Acropolis ticket, adjacent to Acropolis ) just opossite Acropolis Museum. Lines form there too but not that huge. Purchase your ticket and proceed through the site towards the Acropolis. It is a shorter and steepEr way, will need at least average physical condition since some steps are there at the last part of the ascemd, but gets you to a side entrance, bypassing the main gate and the crowds waiting to get in. You 'll skip 30 minutes of waiting this way :-) It's not foulproof, since some groups nowadays use this entrance too, still the bulk of cruise ship visitors go straight to the main entrance.

Map with main access and access through Dionussus Theater: Link

Again:

If you have the luxury of time to be there at 07.40am do so!

If you arrive later, consider the possibility of entering through Dionussus Theater site instead.

Edited by nick_arch

• 3 weeks later...