Rough seas seattle to Alaska?

We're taking our whole family from Seattle to alaska on rhapsody June 13. I originally saw that it was an inside passage trip but now I see that it's open seas. Has anyone taken this cruise that can tell me if it is rough. Thanks

We are sailing Rhapsody the week before the OP's cruise. We are excited to make our first journey to Alaska and hope for smooth sailing for all.

How does the cruise line determine whether to sail out in the open seas or the inside passage?

We did it and yes, it can be very rough. My wife was very seasick on the first night and I was teasing her about it as I thought we were both experienced and seaworthy cruisers. On the second day the seas were rocking pretty hard and the swells were huge and I was the one who was seasick. Not a good feeling. After that it was smooth sailing though.

For the most part, ships to Alaska sailing from Seattle sail on the west (Pacific) side of Vancouver island. On our trip, we had very rough seas heading north and very smooth heading back to Seattle. Rhapsody is a great ship with a great crew. You will have a wonderful time.

Anne :-).

The round trip cruise from Seattle always sails along the west coast of Vancouver Island. On our 2010 Alaska cruise going up was fine but the sea day back to Victoria was pretty rough. We did have a beautiful day in Victoria after that day/night.

Julie

The weather cannot be predicted, you could have glassy seas or some big swells, but as a function of time, a huge part of your cruise you will be in protected waters. You will start with the very long cruise out of Seattle to the Strait of Juan de Fuca, once you clear that, you will be in open ocean as you transit to the west of Vancouver Island. However, sometime on the 3rd day of your cruise, you will enter the inside passage and remain there until you head south for Victoria. The final night of your cruise will be very smooth as you move from Victoria to Seattle.

I agree with other posters. Sailing northbound out of Seattle is usually rough for the first night and most of next day, same thing coming back. I've been on 2 ships that actually closed the outside decks due to high seas. I found it better to be safe & take meds. There were many folks that read Inside Passage and took that to mean "smooth as glass" and all I can say in my experience that is not the usual. I felt sorry for the crew, despite all of the sick bags put out all over the ship, folks often did not make it to one.

Taking meds...the best way to do this is to take them BEFORE you board the ship...not AFTER you feel any effects.

Pack ginger snaps.....anything you like with ginger. It naturally settles your tummy. Along with the patch or pills, don't let your tummy be empty. Fruit is an excellent choice. We bring some back to our emptied fridge so it's chilled.

You may want to try Sea Bands. You can find them online at Marine stores like West Marine or Defender. Many swear by them. Accupressure button on the band presses on the magic spot in your wrist and.....poof, no nausea. Such a fashion statement in basic grey----haha.

Hopefully it will look like a pond. If not, maybe the easy fixes will work.