What time to grab a cab to SFO

mattR

Flight leaves SFO at 17:25 on Monday May 12/14 what time should a person get a cab from fisherman's wharf area? What do you think the cost of a cab would be at that time of day? The flight check-in would be the same as a domestic flight as customs will be cleared in Vancouver.

give yourself 45 to an hour to get to airport. it will probably take less...but you are running into rush hour and one accident and you are screwed. traffic has gotten worse downtown...all the new businesses

Believe it or not, 3 pm is the front end of the afternoon rush hour. The bad news is that 30 minutes is a stretch of the imagination. The good news is that 2 runways are closed this summer for safety upgrades and your plane will probably be late.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

How long are you thinking?

First, you've got to find a cab. This is not NYC. And you didn't say if you were departing from a Fisherman's Wharf hotel.

That said, I won't put an average time on that trip to SFO. I've made it from Marin County to the north in about an hour on a good day and that means nothing. As an earlier post says: one accident along the way and you're screwed. Usually I head to the airport to arrive at least 3 hours before a domestic flight and often enjoy one of the great food outlets in the United terminal if it's a mealtime. Bradley Ogden's Yankee Pier has an outlet there.

What you are forgetting is the cabbies know what is going on traffic wise. 30 minutes is doable, but perhaps allow 45 minutes. In any event, if you leave from Fishermans Wharf by 3, and unless the world has come to an end, you will make it well before your flight. Most airlines recommend arriving 60-75 minutes ahead of a domestic flight at SFO, so you will be fine.

But what do I know...just lived here for 57 years, fly out of SFO monthly, and made to the airport from north of Marin in an hour...many more times than once.

Edited by CruiserBruce

What you are forgetting is the cabbies know what is going on traffic wise. 30 minutes is doable, but perhaps allow 45 minutes. In any event, if you leave from Fishermans Wharf by 3, and unless the world has come to an end, you will make it well before your flight. Most airlines recommend arriving 60-75 minutes ahead of a domestic flight at SFO, so you will be fine.

But what do I know...just lived here for 57 years, fly out of SFO monthly, and made to the airport from north of Marin in an hour...many more times than once.

Forgot that cabs have wings and can fly over accidents on the route they've chosen.

Petaluma to SFO in under 60 minutes during rush hour? I'm impressed. OP should follow your advice!

First, you've got to find a cab. This is not NYC. And you didn't say if you were departing from a Fisherman's Wharf hotel.

Leaving from pier 39 I just assumed there would be taxis there?