What do categories of balconies mean?

Schmoopy

We are in a B1 balcony. What does that mean? How is it different from B2 or BA or all these other Bs I keep seeing?
Most of them our just better locations, hold more people, and or bigger balconies!;) You can see the descriptions on most website deck plans!:D Edited by *Luv2Cruz*

A generalization:

Think of it in terms of Realty - LOCATION - LOCATION - LOCATION !

Higher up - better (unobstructive) view - more stable ride (midship) - and

perhaps a slightly larger balcony or cabin based on unique LOCATION.

AND then the cruise fare - a BA cabin will perhaps sell for more than a BB

and so on - - - because of the above factors.

Shop (plan) several months out in advance of cruising and note the rise and

fall in pricing of staterooms. The popular spacious prime rate cabins tend to

stay put while lessor desirable locations will sell for less and remain unsold

to almost the end with the fare fluctuating with supply and demand.

And as always YMMV !

We are in a B1 balcony. What does that mean? How is it different from B2 or BA or all these other Bs I keep seeing?

If you have a B1, you are aft facing and will have one of the best balconies on the ship imho!! :D

If you have a B1, you are aft facing and will have one of the best balconies on the ship imho!! :D

So all B1s are aft-facing? Good to know. We had only cruised once before 3 years ago and we had aft-facing then, so it was a requirement this time around.

But I did NOT realize that aft = more movement. And for me, that may explain why I was so sick on the first sea day of our last cruise. Hoping that won't happen this time. That was a much smaller ship (Rhapsody of the Seas) than the Getaway, and according to the ship announcements, the seas were especially rough. There were so many sick people on that ship, they were passing out sea-sick tablets to anyone who needed them.

In the front (bow) of the ship expect up and down motion and in the stern (aft)

expect side to side motion plus perhaps engine (propeller/screws) vibration

the closer to the water line (bottom most decks).

Therefore mid ships a deck or two above the Promenade deck is the preferred

zone for the least amount of motion discomfort.

One factor be it in a Inside Cabin or one with Balcony/Ocean View if you are

very motion sensitive and can see or feel the motion therein lies the problem -

try to isolate yourself away from this. Medication may be of help also an ole

salt (seaman) told me to keep the stomach full at all times - an empty stomach

causes noticeable internal stress making motion sickness more evident !

Odd but it works for me and has for years - never go hungry on a cruise ship !

So all B1s are aft-facing? Good to know. We had only cruised once before 3 years ago and we had aft-facing then, so it was a requirement this time around.

Did your TA mention that B1 cabins range in size (according to the cruise line's website) from 250-516 square feet? Did he/she negotiate the largest one available in that class for you? If not, you may want to check out what, if anything, is available to maximize your space.

But I did NOT realize that aft = more movement. And for me, that may explain why I was so sick on the first sea day of our last cruise. Hoping that won't happen this time. That was a much smaller ship (Rhapsody of the Seas) than the Getaway, and according to the ship announcements, the seas were especially rough. There were so many sick people on that ship, they were passing out sea-sick tablets to anyone who needed them.

That is interesting, because Rhapsody is (at 90,000 tons) still considered a "large" ship. We were on the Holland America Statendam (55,000 ton) sailing through 40' seas coming out of AK at the end of the season last September. Those Holland America S class ships have excellent seakeeping ability.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That is interesting, because Rhapsody is (at 90,000 tons) still considered a "large" ship. We were on the Holland America Statendam (55,000 ton) sailing through 40' seas coming out of AK at the end of the season last September. Those Holland America S class ships have excellent seakeeping ability.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were in those same rough seas last September in Alaska, but on an NCL ship. Yeehaw!

There were so many sick people on that ship, they were passing out sea-sick tablets to anyone who needed them.

At least on NCL they do that all the time, just ask at guest services desk if you need some.