Photo review Pamukkale from Kusadasi

Hi Y'all,

This is avery picture heavy review of our taxi trip from Kusadasi to Pamukkale. It was a very long, but comfy ride in a Fiat Doblo taxi (extra seat in back+extra head room). The experience was wonderful, totally worth it for us and it can definitely be done in just one long day in port. I have to add that this was our 4th time in Kusadasi and we were looking for something new to experience.I hope that this trip report might inspire others to do the same thing and help with their planning.

DSC_0760.JPG

We are back in Turkey...

DSC_0595.JPG

..experiencing the sunrise over Pigeon Island in Kusadasi.

IMG_1213.JPG

The Promenade area is still deserted.

DSC_0706.JPG

Our friendly driver Yucel Bor, who we have used on previous visits to the area, is picking us up at 8 am for a day trip to Pamukkale.

This was our fourth visit to Kusadasi and we were not interested in revisiting any of the geographically closer tourist attractions. I read a lot about the trip to Pamukkale and was not sure that it could be accomplished in just 1 day. Yucel assured us that it was doable, so we gave it a try.....and were not disappointed. After about 2.5 hours we arrived at the site. Yucel with his 7 seater Fiat Doblo taxi was able to take us on a short cut, that regular buses, due to their size are not allowed to take.

DSC_0600.JPG

There is a huge plaza filled with souvenir shops and street vendors right next to the entrance.

IMG_1214.JPG

A short walk led us past the archaeological area,

DSC_0640.JPG

Through the newly developed and landscaped picnic area

IMG_1215.JPG

To the actual terraces of carbonates left behind by 17 hot springs.......it only looks like ice!

IMG_1218.JPG

It is magical and unbelievable

IMG_1219.JPG

This dog seems to enjoy running through the warm water. Tourist are restricted to certain parts of the site to preserve the fragile travertines. It is strictly enforced by guards.

DSC_0615.JPG

The terrace pools get very crowded close to the picnic area....

DSC_0635.JPG

..but tourist traffic gets a lot lighter after a 20 min walk down a few hills.

DSC_0676.JPG

DSC_0661.JPG

DSC_0677.JPG

I walked for about 20 minutes on slippery grounds ( no shoes allowed) and was pretty much by myself bathing in the pool. It was a great experience!

DSC_0678.JPG

I left my camera with my parents due to encountering lots of pushy tourist in the upper, busy parts and due to my fears of accidentally drenching my camera.

DSC_0680.JPG

We spent about 2.5 hours at the site and really enjoyed the incredible views and atmosphere.

DSC_0699.JPG

After visiting a local market to purchase snacks, we stopped at the community thermal spa, that was open to the public and free of charge.

DSC_0701.JPG

We were the only tourist there, while quite a few locals were getting treatments for their ailments.

DSC_0711.JPG

Piping hot water runs out of this opening

DSC_0702.JPG

DSC_0704.JPG

..... and down the cascades to fill up the pools.

DSC_0713.JPG

DSC_0719.JPG

Unfortunately we had to continue on back to Kusadasi.

IMG_1226.JPG

We passed a huge geothermal area, where steam erupting from the earth is used to produce electricity.

DSC_0727.JPG

DSC_0729.JPG

I noticed these showers next to restaurants and gas stations on the road and was told that people are using them to cool off their cars during the heat of the summer.

DSC_0737.JPG

The area produces a lot of fruits and veggies, of which some of them are sold right next to the busy highway.

DSC_0744.JPG

DSC_0756.JPG

We were back in Kusadasi by 5pm. It was a wonderful daytrip. Totally worth it for us, even though the total driving time or time spent in a car was 5 hours.

I was in Pamukkale when I had a couple of weeks to spend in Turkey. I would love to go back -- not for the terraces (which are pretty, I grant you) but for the Roman ruins next door at Hierapolis.

Can you advise how long you were able to spend at the site? I'm guessing that since you left at 8am and were back by 5pm (with 5 hours of driving time), it would be possible to spend about 4 hours at the site?

I have asked various tour companies in the past, and none were willing to do the trip, calling it "too close" to departure. :( Can you post how to contact Yucel?

I was in Pamukkale when I had a couple of weeks to spend in Turkey. I would love to go back -- not for the terraces (which are pretty, I grant you) but for the Roman ruins next door at Hierapolis.

Can you advise how long you were able to spend at the site? I'm guessing that since you left at 8am and were back by 5pm (with 5 hours of driving time), it would be possible to spend about 4 hours at the site?

I have asked various tour companies in the past, and none were willing to do the trip, calling it "too close" to departure. :( Can you post how to contact Yucel?

Hi cruisemom42,

I'll be more than happy to share Yucel's contact info

Yucelbor@hotmail.com

http://www.kusadasitaxiport.com

He responds very quickly and is very reliable!

We were in port from 8 to 6 and it would have been very possible to spend 4 hours at the site. We were only there for 2.5, but also visited the market and the "spa".

Hope this helps

Petra

Thanks for posting. Great info. We will be in Kusadasi in 3 weeks and have been to Ephesus. Can you remember how much you paid for the taxi and what time of year you were there?

Hi sunandsnow,

We visited in Sept. 2014 and we paid 150 Euros for the cab. There was plenty of room for 4 passengers!

Hope this helps

Regards

Petra

Thanks again for all the info! We are booked with Yucel in a couple of weeks. Can't wait. We always like to explore and see new things when we travel to ports we have already been to. We would've never known that this was doable from Kusadasi. Thanks for sharing!

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...