Crazy cabin question

Simbar

I was looking at Youtube videos last night to get an idea of what our room selection might look like...I know, I know different ships and all. We plan on taking Brilliance of The Seas from Tampa to Cozumel/Grand Cayman April 2016 and will book an outside stateroom midship.

While watching some videos on Youtube, I noticed that it seemed rooms on Decks 2/3 (what I am being offered as I price this cruise multiple ways) are low enough that waves will splash onto the window.

Here's the question:

Has anyone ever experienced this? And is it loud/bothersome? I have no worries during the day as we "wont be in the room much" but at night while sleeping. I do get awakened at home when a good rainshower comes through and the bottom falls out.

Just wondering about the noise of the waves. I know.....silly, but it peaked my curiosity.

Edited by Simbar

Hmmm...interesting question! Once when we were on deck 1 with a porthole, we were cruising through a tropical storm from Galveston and waves were definitely hitting the window! It was literally one of those where we had to grab the glasses at dinner to keep them from sliding off the tables! :eek: But, that was a rare instance, I hope. There are many factors that might come into play that could mean waves would hit your deck 2 porthole window - wind, sea state, direction of the swells/waves, etc. So, my advice would be to relax and have a great cruise!

HA! Not really worried about waves crashing through my window, but more of the noise of going through rough seas and there happen to be higher waves. In fact the other night when I posted the question we had a rainshower come through and, yup, I was awakened when it first started, but I do love falling asleep to rain and waves......

However after talking with the hubster yesterday about cruise plans, we decided that with there only being a $300 difference in price, we could move up to a balcony if I wanted to. Still pondering over that. However DD is pulling for the balcony....don't know why, she's 7, but she wants to fall asleep with the door open and listen to the ocean. I told her she was sleeping on the couch.

Edited by Simbar

We just got off the Brilliance last Thursday......loved that ship!!!

We had a mid ship balcony on Deck 9. What deck are you looking at if you decide to move up?

Hi GTO-Girl,

If we move up to a balcony, I am looking at decks 8 or 9. I was planning on mid ship (the cruise line keeps offering me a bump out cabin mid ship), but it's near an elevator so I'm not sure, but upon looking at deck plans ysterday I realized that balconies look bigger on the forward or aft end of the ship along the sides...is this correct?

Hi GTO-Girl,

If we move up to a balcony, I am looking at decks 8 or 9. I was planning on mid ship (the cruise line keeps offering me a bump out cabin mid ship), but it's near an elevator so I'm not sure, but upon looking at deck plans ysterday I realized that balconies look bigger on the forward or aft end of the ship along the sides...is this correct?

The hump (bump out) balconies are nice, I am surprised they have some left because those usually book first....so definitely go for one of those if you can. Both deck 8 or 9 are great and don't worry about being near an elevator......you won't hear a thing and it will be so convenient. We always try to book our rooms as close to one as we can get.

I would stick with a mid ship balcony......the front and aft balconies may be nice but will get more motion. (think of a see-saw......more stable in the middle with each end up and down)...

The Brilliance is so nice and has a lot of windows so you can see the ocean from everywhere. Even some of the elevators face out so you can see the ocean while you are riding on them too.

If you have anymore questions let me know......enjoy your cruise!!!!

Edited by GTO-Girl

HA! Not really worried about waves crashing through my window, but more of the noise of going through rough seas and there happen to be higher waves. In fact the other night when I posted the question we had a rainshower come through and, yup, I was awakened when it first started, but I do love falling asleep to rain and waves......

However after talking with the hubster yesterday about cruise plans, we decided that with there only being a $300 difference in price, we could move up to a balcony if I wanted to. Still pondering over that. However DD is pulling for the balcony....don't know why, she's 7, but she wants to fall asleep with the door open and listen to the ocean. I told her she was sleeping on the couch.

Try to let your daughter know that sleeping with wave sounds may not work out. 1-Open door screws with the airconditioning. 2- there won't be much to hear on the usual typical calm Caribbean night. 3- if you can hear something, it is probably that you have a storm and you won't want the door open. I love balconies, encourage you to go for one if it fits your budget, but I think you should just try to discourage the open door policy.

Try to let your daughter know that sleeping with wave sounds may not work out. 1-Open door screws with the airconditioning. 2- there won't be much to hear on the usual typical calm Caribbean night. 3- if you can hear something, it is probably that you have a storm and you won't want the door open. I love balconies, encourage you to go for one if it fits your budget, but I think you should just try to discourage the open door policy.

Gotcha.....Just the dreams of a 7 year old girl.

Hdon't know why, she's 7, but she wants to fall asleep with the door open and listen to the ocean. I told her she was sleeping on the couch.

this will also depend on when you are looking to sail-

In the places where its hot and humid you want to keep that door closed. Air conditioning turns off and the room starts to feel wet from condensation building up in the room from the humidity.

expectations could prove to be a HUGE disappointment especially for little kids

this will also depend on when you are looking to sail-

In the places where its hot and humid you want to keep that door closed. Air conditioning turns off and the room starts to feel wet from condensation building up in the room from the humidity.

expectations could prove to be a HUGE disappointment especially for little kids

Good to note.....and since we have never cruised before and I know the ship isn;t one of those huge ones, I am keeping her in check. However, she's already decided that we will be hitting the pool when we get on the ship, and has already planned what's in her carry on bag. LOL!

Good to note.....and since we have never cruised before and I know the ship isn;t one of those huge ones, I am keeping her in check. However, she's already decided that we will be hitting the pool when we get on the ship, and has already planned what's in her carry on bag. LOL!

good for her-- a planner after my own heart.

good for her-- a planner after my own heart.

Oh, you haven't meant me....I make lists....I make lists of lists. I even have a list in our breaker box of what switches and appliances to turn off when we go on a long vacation. We used to travel to Disney World a few times a year, we have a box alone called "The Disney Box" and yes, it has a list. ;)

Oh, you haven't meant me....I make lists....I make lists of lists. I even have a list in our breaker box of what switches and appliances to turn off when we go on a long vacation. We used to travel to Disney World a few times a year, we have a box alone called "The Disney Box" and yes, it has a list. ;)

You must be my long lost twin. That is hilarious.😃

Im in my planning stages of Disney for August/ Sept 2016 Followed the Free dining stuff that came out today so I can know what I need to do for next year.

Went in Dec 2013 and upgraded to AP and went 5 times last year. And wanting to upgrade tickets again to AP so we can go on everyones birthday for a long weekend each trip

I got Punta Cana booked for August this year so planning on those excursions.

Freedom Of the Seas April 2016 for my dads 88th birthday so planning that stuff. There just is not enough time in the day for all this:rolleyes:

To the OP: your question reminds me of this video I saw on YouTube. Must have been huge waves. In any case, the video is pretty cool!

HA! HA! Yes, I saw a video like that one. And my question is answered, because it can be heard. But no worries for us, we decided to go with a balcony. Can you say "surfboard" if the waves got really high? (but I doubt they will).