Seattle, Homewood Suites on Western Ave

asubaru

We are staying there for (2) night on our upcoming Alaskan cruise. I am not really concerned about anything, but wanted to see if anyone had any tips/comments about it.

I did research and, although it didn't have 5* reviews, it was one of a very few places that had 2 bedroom suites under $900+/night :-)

Any experience?

Thanks, Sue

Ok I live in Seattle. The Homewood on Pike is great right in the middle of everything. Your location on Western while not 'terrible' isn't very convenient to much. Yes you can walk to Space Needle but your downhill on a busy street (Western) I'd highly not recommend trying to 'walk' to the port. If you had the ability to change hotels I'd suggest it.

Ok I live in Seattle. The Homewood on Pike is great right in the middle of everything. Your location on Western while not 'terrible' isn't very convenient to much. Yes you can walk to Space Needle but your downhill on a busy street (Western) I'd highly not recommend trying to 'walk' to the port. If you had the ability to change hotels I'd suggest it.

I agree. Not my fave location - pretty long hike on trafficky streets to the Pike Place market, Seattle Center is up a pretty steep hill, and not much in the way of restaurants in walking distance.

Thank you for your opinions. I understand what you're saying, but it's too late to change hotels/locations. I knew about the location through research, but it was a really good price where (4) could stay in one room (2 br suite)...that was important.

I had anticipating using Uber. I've coordinated our touring into areas. We definitely won't be walking to port; my friends do not travel light!

If I recall, there's a pub close by where we can have a night cap?

Thank you for your opinions. I understand what you're saying, but it's too late to change hotels/locations. I knew about the location through research, but it was a really good price where (4) could stay in one room (2 br suite)...that was important.

I had anticipating using Uber. I've coordinated our touring into areas. We definitely won't be walking to port; my friends do not travel light!

If I recall, there's a pub close by where we can have a night cap?

Queen Anne Beerhall, right around the corner. http://www.queenannebeerhall.com/

• 3 weeks later...

There were four of us and we stayed Friday and Saturday nights before our cruise. We had connecting rooms; studio and one bedroom king with a bay view. It certainly isn't clear view but you do see water and mountains from afar....you're not looking at parking lots and buildings only. Free to join Hilton Honors and you're given free WIFI along with a discount on rooms when booking. I am Honors Gold which entitles you to an upgrade, if available. We received Bay view rooms.

Admittedly, I was leery, given the location and some reviews/comments. It turned out to be a wonderful experience. Never saw a beggar/homeless type while walking in the area or hanging outside with the smokers. Actually, never saw any "questionable" people for the 2 1/2 days we were in Seattle.

Even though I am not much of a breakfast eater, I was impressed with the spread. They had a large variety: cereals, yogurts, breads (bagels, muffins, toast) scrambled eggs were reg. and vegetable seasoned, potatoes, juices, grapefruit halves, bananas, apples, 2 types sausage, huge variety of condiments (incl peanut butter). I'm sure I forgot some things. The coffee was excellent and available day/night, along with tea. They have several employees refilling and cleaning up constantly. I went down to refill coffee on Saturday after their posted closing and everything was still in place, so obviously they don't rush you.

A very large seating area that doubles as a lounge and gathering place. People used this during day/ night for games and cards. The beds and pillows were some of the most comfortable I've experienced. We all our frequent travelers and in agreement. The room decor and bathrooms are a bit dated, but nothing was in disrepair. Shower and water pressure were fine.

They have an honor type sundry room that had some drinks, snacks and necessities. The evening front desk staff was exceptionally friendly and helpful with all our questions/requests. One of the gals came to our room to help with Internet connections; never had that offer before! One of us was having security blocking issues which the employee quickly resolved.

The end of the block was Queen Anne Beer Hall and a convenience mart with take out foods and an impressive/large selection of wines. Very nice store with variety of items. The beer hall was very loud and we only had a drink there.

Used Uber many times with no problems. IMO, you don't need a great location given Uber is cheap transpo and even though some places may convenient, walking can be a challenge in hilly terrain for some. Example price: from Homewood to Elliott's @ the water front, it was under 7 bucks each way, tip incl. Pike Market would be similar, just to give you an idea. Seattle Center area was about the same price. You are within walking distance if you're a billy goat lol Seriously, none of us wanted to walk the hills/ inclines. We didn't do public transpo since Uber is so convenient, quick and in most cases, cheaper because it's not a per person charge.

We had no desire to walk the pier even though it's reasonably close. I had to order an SUV, due to lots of luggage, through Uber and it was $20.00. It happened to be a Cadillac Escalade and it held our 10 bags and the 4 of us comfortably. There was a transpo company (large vans) selling tix/taking res'v to pier for $10 a person, so we saved $20!

I give this Homewood a 5* rating. Certainly wasn't a Ritz Carlton, but was better for our needs and the price was reasonable. The front desk staff, full refrig/kitchen area, beds, and a good quality breakfast with great coffee more than make up for more modern/luxurious rooms. I will stay here again if I return to the area.

I just posted my review and had a terrific experience. All 4 of us loved it. Since Uber is so cheap, location wasn't an issue for us.

The decibel level at Queen Anne was off the charts, but otherwise a nice place for a nightcap :-)

There were four of us and we stayed Friday and Saturday nights before our cruise. We had connecting rooms; studio and one bedroom king with a bay view. It certainly isn't clear view but you do see water and mountains from afar....you're not looking at parking lots and buildings only.

Used Uber many times with no problems. IMO, you don't need a great location given Uber is cheap transpo and even though some places may convenient, walking can be a challenge in hilly terrain for some. Example price: from Homewood to Elliott's @ the water front, it was under 7 bucks each way, tip incl. Pike Market would be similar, just to give you an idea. Seattle Center area was about the same price. You are within walking distance if you're a billy goat lol Seriously, none of us wanted to walk the hills/ inclines. We didn't do public transpo since Uber is so convenient, quick and in most cases, cheaper because it's not a per person charge.

We had no desire to walk the pier even though it's reasonably close. I had to order an SUV, due to lots of luggage, through Uber and it was $20.00. It happened to be a Cadillac Escalade and it held our 10 bags and the 4 of us comfortably. There was a transpo company (large vans) selling tix/taking res'v to pier for $10 a person, so we saved $20!

Having never used UBER I have questions

There is for us traveling

Do I call and ask for a SUV ?

Did you take one from the Airport is so how much ?

Did you take it to the Pier etc?

Post cruise

From the Ship back to the Airport ?

Sorry for all the questions .

Look forward to your reply

George

No need to be sorry for all the questions, many don't understand how it works. I sure don't know all of the workings, but enough to use it and be satisfied.

You need smart phone/device and internet capability.

Uber X - cheapest service and is for up to 4 people.

Uber XL - seats up to 6 people, usually a mini van or SUV

Uber Black- high end sedan and is up to 4 people

Uber Plus/Select- Luxury sedans

Uber SUV- Seating up to 6 persons Larger version of Black

They also have a shared ride service, which I have never used, but wouldn't be opposed if I was traveling alone.

My explanation is brief and not complete. Their website explains all the details such as licensing, type of cars and such. You can also get quotes. You can check what the city you are traveling to, or are in, offers as far as categories...not all cities have the same categories available. The higher the service/category, the more you pay.

A surcharge may apply during peak times but you will know in advance and can decline.

Download the app (you must have a smart phone/device). When you want a ride, use your app and give your location and destination. You select what lind of service you want. It differs from city to city. I usually select Uber x, except when we have 5+ pieces of luggage and then XL or SUV. Most often phone will know your location. You can type in your destination (there's a search feature).

It will give you a price (sometimes a small price range) and you can accept or decline. They immediately send a picture of driver and description of vehicle. The driver often calls when close, sometimes to confirm where you are or what you're wearing.

You will have a credit card on file (you do when you download) and your card will be charged. It includes tip. Many people tip over the amt. I do, especially when luggage is involved; I have always been helped with luggage.

They have a rating systems for drivers and passengers which is nice. It really is easy. Once you use it, you'll see. It definitely saves money and it's unlikely you'll get long hauled. They use a construction/traffic app and they avoid sitting in traffic as much as possible. I have never waited more than 5 minutes for a car. Ex: at the port in Miami, we waited 2 minutes.

I got a smart phone just because of Uber. I was tired of getting long hauled, especially in Las Vegas where it's out of control (my opinion and experience) It has been a great experience every time I have used them.

I did not use to/from Seattle airport. I did use in the city though and it was great every time.

Having never used UBER I have questions

There is for us traveling

Do I call and ask for a SUV ?

Did you take one from the Airport is so how much ?

Did you take it to the Pier etc?

Post cruise

From the Ship back to the Airport ?

Sorry for all the questions .

Look forward to your reply

George

No need to be sorry for all the questions, many don't understand how it works. I sure don't know all of the workings, but enough to use it and be satisfied.

You need smart phone/device and internet capability.

Uber X - cheapest service and is for up to 4 people.

Uber XL - seats up to 6 people, usually a mini van or SUV

Uber Black- high end sedan and is up to 4 people

Uber Plus/Select- Luxury sedans

Uber SUV- Seating up to 6 persons Larger version of Black

Thank you so much for the reply.

Hi, since the topic has morphed into Uber I just wanted to mention that while ordering an Uber xl makes sense from the port or from the hotel from Seatac it will be more expensive than the onsite towncar and limo provider the airport provides. Other advantage is the airport cars will come to the curb and pick you up at baggage claim instead of bringing your luggage over the skybridge into the parking garage. STILA is onsite at Seatac and you call them by calling Ground Transportation from the phones near baggage claim.

Hi, since the topic has morphed into Uber I just wanted to mention that while ordering an Uber xl makes sense from the port or from the hotel from Seatac it will be more expensive than the onsite towncar and limo provider the airport provides. Other advantage is the airport cars will come to the curb and pick you up at baggage claim instead of bringing your luggage over the skybridge into the parking garage. STILA is onsite at Seatac and you call them by calling Ground Transportation from the phones near baggage claim.

What is STILA ? I just want to move 4 people from the Airport to the hotel then to the port ( cab ) then from the ship back to the airport

• 3 weeks later...