Boston Transportation

Sunkissed Mommy

I'm glad you're happy with the results. No hotel location in Boston is "perfect" - you will always have to travel a little to get someplace else. IMO for one night precruise, the 4* Waterfront hotels are a perfect location for folks flying in and cruising out and one of them is often on Hotwire at a good price. Downtown is very accessible by the T or by cab as well as the airport and the Cruiseport. Best of all possible worlds for a quick visit to Boston.

There is also a 7-11 across Northern Ave next to the World Trade Center.

There are quite a few restaurants in the Seaport District now - http://www.zagat.com/c/boston-ma/seaport-district-restaurants. You may need addresses for some of these places in order to find them since they might be off street or on a pier.

Hi,

We'll be docking in Boston on sept.18th and would like to take a daypass for public transportation.

What is the closest location to Black falcon to buy our daypasses?

Can we buy it on the silverline or do we have to walk to a station (closest was a 30 minute walk)

looking forward to visiting Boston :-)

My understanding is that you can buy a day pass on a Charlie Ticket from a fare vending Machine. The closest station with a fare vending machine would be World Trade Center, but it's possible Silver Line Way could have a fare vending machine. Perhaps someone else knows more about Silver Line Way.

Hi,

We'll be docking in Boston on sept.18th and would like to take a daypass for public transportation.

What is the closest location to Black falcon to buy our daypasses?

Can we buy it on the silverline or do we have to walk to a station (closest was a 30 minute walk)

looking forward to visiting Boston :-)

The closest I could find to Black Falcon would be the Patriot News (boston-financial district). If you go to "sales location" ....Financial district or Waterfront is really the only search areas close to the port.

http://www.mbta.com/fares_and_passes/passes/

I believe the "sales locations" are to get Charlie Cards (plastic) and the more exotic T pass offerings including commuter rail 10 trips. It's my understanding that the Charlie Tickets (paper) will hold a one day pass for $12 and can be bought from any ticket vending machine, which are typically located in the subway T stations. I know they have vending machines at the World Trade Center station, so that is where I would suggest trying first before the OP walks all the way to South Station.

The sale location closest to the cruiseterminal is south station (closer then the financial district).

So i'll take up Carol's tip to check out the vending machines at World trade center, i read on mtba that daypasses can be bought in vending machines.

Hi All, Original Poster back again!

This may seem completely off the wall, but is it possible to walk from The Boston Tea Party Ships & Museum to Black Falcon? I am trying to plan what we will do each day and saw they were somewhat close. If it's not walkable, an estimate on cab fare?? Any other types of transportation to do this?

We're thinking of dropping our bags at the port Sunday morning, going over to the Tea Party Ships and museum, and then checking in for the cruise when we're done with that.

PS Were going to buy a trolley pass for that Saturday and saw that it would also be valid on a second day, so Sunday. Possible to use the trolley to get between the port and museum?? (We will take a cab to the port to drop off our bags, wouldn't drag those on the trolley)

Edited by smileyperry

This may seem completely off the wall, but is it possible to walk from The Boston Tea Party Ships & Museum to Black Falcon? I am trying to plan what we will do each day and saw they were somewhat close. If it's not walkable, an estimate on cab fare?? Any other types of transportation to do this?

We're thinking of dropping our bags at the port Sunday morning, going over to the Tea Party Ships and museum, and then checking in for the cruise when we're done with that.

PS Were going to buy a trolley pass for that Saturday and saw that it would also be valid on a second day, so Sunday. Possible to use the trolley to get between the port and museum?? (We will take a cab to the port to drop off our bags, wouldn't drag those on the trolley)

Can you walk it, yes, but it is almost a 1 1/2 mile walk. Not sure about the trolley though.

That would be my plan.

Hotwire is using last years prices for Early Nov, when the SOX were in the World Series. Hope they drop prices soon. Sorry Sox fans..

Besides the Waterfront--what is the next best area to look with T line access to Black Falcon

Thanks for the help!!:)

It may be possible to use the trolley, but who knows what their early Sunday schedule is like? I don't think they run the Seaport trolley loop if there is not a ship in port for the day, and I don't think a turnaround day counts.

You can get the Silver Line right there on Black Falcon Ave and ride to the Courthouse stop and walk over to the Tea Party ship near the children's museum.

I think Hotwire is still high because you are looking for a room on a Thur night.

IMO T access with luggage tends not to be good from other areas of downtown. The downtown stations are the oldest stations and have been retrofit for accessibility, but it is often hard to figure out how to avoid the stairs.

I'm used to going from Alewife to Logan Airport, which is an easy trip with luggage. Alewife Station was built in the 1980's and has lots of escalators and elevators. South Station was completely revamped when they built the Silver line almost 10 years ago, so it has plenty of escalator and elevator access and it is an easy transfer from the Red Line to the Silver Line.

Recently I had to fly out of Logan for a cruise and I took the train to North Station instead of South Station. The North Station Orange/Green Line was fine, but the accessible transfer at Downtown Crossing required walking through the pedestrian tunnel to the Park St Station to get on the Red line via elevator!!! Downtown Crossing is a MAJOR transfer point, so I find it incredible you have to walk underground with luggage to Park St, the other MAJOR transfer point, to change trains!!

The Green Line is all trolleys with steps - I don't know how it works with luggage because I've never tried it.

Anyway, I wouldn't plan on using the T to go to Black Falcon from other areas of downtown unless you plan it out carefully and get more info about accessibility. A cab to Black Falcon will not be super expensive from any downtown hotel.

once you've gotten to the Tea Party Museum, you're 2/3 the way to Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market. Much better tourist attraction than the Tea Party ships, in my opinion.

Most Green Line trolleys are 2 cars. One car is usually the old 7 series cars with all the steps, the other is the newer 8 series that has low boarding. It's still a step, but only one and only about 6".

It may be possible to use the trolley, but who knows what their early Sunday schedule is like? I don't think they run the Seaport trolley loop if there is not a ship in port for the day, and I don't think a turnaround day counts.

You can get the Silver Line right there on Black Falcon Ave and ride to the Courthouse stop and walk over to the Tea Party ship near the children's museum.

Perfect that solved the dilemma for me. We'll rely on the Silver line for that morning :)

I think I figured out how to get around without using the Trolley.

Thank you so much for the advice, it's been a tremendous help.

once you've gotten to the Tea Party Museum, you're 2/3 the way to Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market. Much better tourist attraction than the Tea Party ships, in my opinion.

We will be walking the Freedom Trail the day before, so we'll get to see those. I'm trying to squeeze in everything I want to do as well as some things for my son to enjoy!

Here's our plan thus far. Like I said, I am trying to squeeze in everything I want to see in about 48 hours! Please let me know if any of this seems impossible.

Friday.

Arrive at airport at 10am.

Take Taxi to Hyatt Regency, drop off luggage.

Grab a quick lunch.

Hop on Red Line to JFK Library.

Red Line back to Hyatt (Downtown Crossing)

Check in to room.

Nap time for kiddo.

Walk from Hyatt to Boston Children's Museum for $1 Target Fridays. Grab light dinner along the way.

Walk or Cab back to Hyatt.

Saturday.

Breakfast.

Walk Freedom Trail from starting point to USS Constitution. Stop at sites along the way. Possible lunch.

Taxi to Harvard University for some pictures and possible late lunch in the area.

Red Line from Harvard to Hyatt.

Afternoon Nap time.

Walk around Boston Common. Cheers photo op... Real World House (don't judge me)... Dinner near Boston Common...

Sunday.

Light breakfast.

Drop luggage at Black Falcon.

Take the Silver Line to Courthouse, walk to Tea Party Museum & Ship.

Take Silver Line back to Black Falcon.

Board cruise ship.

Collapse from exhaustion ;)

Just a note, DH and I are fabulous walkers. We explored Vancouver by foot from 8am-8pm after our Alaskan cruise a couple years ago because we had a flight out at midnight. I did San Francisco by foot, subway, and HOHO trolley about 5 years ago. We're bringing a rugged umbrella stroller for DS and plenty of snacks, toys, and water to keep him busy.

Edited by smileyperry

Wow.

Sounds like a good plan, I hope you get through it.

Try this for light lunch near the Children's Museum, especially if you have children with you.

If you don't have children with you, the whole area down Congress street from the museum is great restaurants, just yards away.

You have to remember that there is nothing sacred about walking every inch of the Freedom Trail. It's just a suggested path through downtown Boston to ensure that you can find all the historical sites that are nestled between the more modern buildings. My suggestion would be to do it essentially in reverse. Take a cab to the Constitution. The museum opens at 9 am and the ship at 10 am. Then take the MBTA water taxi from the Constitution wharf to Long Wharf, which is at the east end of Faneuil Hall. This is a very nice inner harbor cruise for $3.25. Walk along the waterfront into the North End to the Old North Church and walk the trail backwards to the Paul Revere House, Faneuil Hall, and back through the downtown streets to Boston Common. At the Park Street Station you can get the Red Line to go out to Harvard.

If you're on a Red Line Train inbound from Harvard, get on the front area of the train. At Downtown Crossing follow the signs to Chauncy Street. About a half block down there is a parking garage entrance on the right that leads into the lowest level of the Hyatt Hotel., which saves you the longer walk around to the front entrance.

(I thought I posted this earlier, but don't see it... if I did, sorry for duplication!)

Is is possible/probable to make a 9:45a flight out of Logan? - we're returning Sun 9/28 to Boston on Royal's BoS at 6am. Check in says 11:30 or later is suggested. In other ports, and often much larger ships, we're in our car in less than an hour after our disembarkation time. But I've never sailed from Boston and don't know how efficient they are. I hate to wait another 2+ hours for the next flight. TIA!!

Just a note, DH and I are fabulous walkers. We explored Vancouver by foot from 8am-8pm after our Alaskan cruise a couple years ago because we had a flight out at midnight. I did San Francisco by foot, subway, and HOHO trolley about 5 years ago. We're bringing a rugged umbrella stroller for DS and plenty of snacks, toys, and water to keep him busy.

I'm with you. I'm going to Halifax next month and plan on walking from one end of the city to the other and back to the ship. Gotta work off the buffet somehow :)

I only wish the cruise lines would allow bikes on board. I'd love to bike the port of calls. BTW....City of Boston has 'Hubway' bike rentals. I'm not sure how much but I think they are very reasonable and they have lots of pick up / drop off places around town. Might be an option for sightseeing the city? I'm sure you can google it.