Why is Progreso looked down on by so many people?

maldenmusic

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Yeah..if we take a cruise going to Progreso again, I don't think I'll be getting off the boat!

I'm with you. Worse port ever. If i want to see a "border town" I'll just drive down to South Texas and cross over. If I want to see murky brownish-blueish water I just drive 50 miles to Galveston.

The best thing about Progresso was leaving.

Worst port I have ever visited. The town is squalor. I cannot understand why a cruise ship would stop at Progreso.

I am used to the locals pimping what they are selling in the ports, but, the locals at this port take it to a higher level of rudeness and disrespect.

People just don't understand...

Progresso is just a small port and is more like a village. The stop is more about surrounding area. A lot of history, Mayan ruins and Merida. Have you been to Merida? Great city, lots of things to see...

I don't like touristy places so I think this stop is awesome.

Edited by webzila

I'm with you. Worse port ever. If i want to see a "border town" I'll just drive down to South Texas and cross over. If I want to see murky brownish-blueish water I just drive 50 miles to Galveston.

The best thing about Progresso was leaving.

Border town? What does Progresso / Merida border?

I am guessing you have never even been to a border town...

• 3 months later...

I live here and agree that Progreso is dumpy. And the vendors are terrible. I think Carnival needs to do a better job of informing people where they are stopping and why.

If people weren't expecting the Disney-fied resort with white sand and blue water then they could make an informed decision about whether or not to book this cruise.

If people knew that Carnival stops here to give folks the opportunity to get inland and see a three thousand year old culture; to see a 500 hundred year old colonial capital city with the oldest cathedral in North America; then people would book the cruise with that in mind.

But if Carnival is selling beach and more beach, and then stopping at Progreso, then they are doing their guests a disservice as many just do not have a clue where they are going.

• 2 months later...

We have never been on a cruise before. I understand that this port isn't fancy..not expecting that. But we would love to shop a little and sit on the beach. Are there any excursions that do this from carnival? Also.lif you pay for a beach excursion..do you still have locals coming up to you all the time?

Thank you

• 5 months later...
I will be bringing my Momz who uses a scooter to get around. Are there any tours/busses with a lift? Thanks!

I just found out that the Uxmal ruins are now handicap accessible, but the transportation to & from is questionable. If your mom can do a few steps up into a tour bus (approx. 4 steps - similar to a Greyhound bus) and her scooter is one where the handlebars fold down, she should have no trouble. But I haven't seen anything with a lift at this point. Please let me know if you find one, and I will also let you know if I do. ;)

• 2 weeks later...