Tours/tour guides in Tangier

Two Happy Cruisers

My DH and I will be doing our very first O cruise in April, a TA from Miami to Barcelona, and are very much looking forward to it.

One of the stops is in Tangier and we'd love to get some tips and ideas for tours we could take. Both privately organized and ones by O. Any info you have would be much appreciated! :)

Thanks so much!

~Benita

In November 2005 we used Abdelhamid Idrissi Kaitouni.

I can't vouch for him myself because I had a torn meniscus and chose to stay on board that day. But everyone else in our group (8 of us) thought he was excellent.

Try http://www.privateguide.com/tangiertour/ and

http://casablanca-privatetours.com/about-us.php.

Mura

My DH and I will be doing our very first O cruise in April, a TA from Miami to Barcelona, and are very much looking forward to it.

One of the stops is in Tangier and we'd love to get some tips and ideas for tours we could take. Both privately organized and ones by O. Any info you have would be much appreciated! :)

Thanks so much!

~Benita

Check into the Roll Call for your cruise and you should be able to get private tour information.

Check into the Roll Call for your cruise and you should be able to get private tour information.

Thanks - we have been in contact with some fellow cruisers and gotten some info already, but I'd also like to hear from people who have actually gone on some of the tours. Either private or organized by Oceania. :)

In November 2005 we used Abdelhamid Idrissi Kaitouni.

I can't vouch for him myself because I had a torn meniscus and chose to stay on board that day. But everyone else in our group (8 of us) thought he was excellent.

Try http://www.privateguide.com/tangiertour/ and

http://casablanca-privatetours.com/about-us.php.

Mura

Mura - we will check this out. Would love to hear from people who have used him, or done any other tours in Tangier - either private or organized by Oceania.

~Benita :)

We did some research and knew what we wanted to see (don't remember the details--it was the same cruise Mura was in in 2005) and negotiated with a guide when we got off the ship. Had a great day, and it was quite reasonable (less than $100 for 4 people).

We took Oceania’s “Culinary Discovery Tour” with Chef Kelly. We saw the city, visited the colorful market, had a scrumptious Moroccan lunch in a beautiful restaurant, bought tagines, then went back to the ship and cooked! A fun, educational and delicious experience, worth every penny.

-Sukey-

If the market tour option had been available when we were there, I'd have jumped at that chance. Yes indeed. But of course that is more recent, and you need to be on Riviera or Marina to take advantage of it. (At least, I THINK you do.)

Our first visit to Tangier was on Renaissance in October 1999 and on that occasion we just negotiated with a cab driver. He gave us a good tour, but yes, there was the obligatory shopping stop!

Mura

Edited by Mura

I have been looking for a caftan for AGES!

Do you recall where you bought it? In the market? Did you haggle?

Thanks for any info! Will be there in April.

Can't remember offhand, but I ordered my credit card statement for Nov/Dec of 2011 and it should have the name of the merchant. If you email me mmyron@hotmaildotcom, I will let you know in 10'days or before. It was a lovely merchant and I did haggle a bit. Maria