Subway & Bus to Cunard's Brooklyn Dock

cedric1902

With the high cost of taking a taxi from Midtown Manhattan to the Cunard Dock in Brooklyn,I am now thinking of taking the subway to Brooklyn and then transferring to the bus to get to the Cunard Dock when I go board the QM2 on October 19th.I just want to be sure that I board the right train and get off at the right station and then board the right city bus.Since I live in Northern New Jersey I will take a commuter bus that goes to the Port Authority Bus Terminal in Midtown Manhattan.And from the Port Authority Bus Terminal would I take the A Train to the Jay Street-Borough Hall station in Brooklyn and then transfer to the B-61 bus that goes by the Cunard Dock? I just want to be sure that this is the right directions. Regards Cedric1902(Jerry is my real name)

With the high cost of taking a taxi from Midtown Manhattan to the Cunard Dock in Brooklyn,I am now thinking of taking the subway to Brooklyn and then transferring to the bus to get to the Cunard Dock when I go board the QM2 on October 19th.I just want to be sure that I board the right train and get off at the right station and then board the right city bus.Since I live in Northern New Jersey I will take a commuter bus that goes to the Port Authority Bus Terminal in Midtown Manhattan.And from the Port Authority Bus Terminal would I take the A Train to the Jay Street-Borough Hall station in Brooklyn and then transfer to the B-61 bus that goes by the Cunard Dock? I just want to be sure that this is the right directions. Regards Cedric1902(Jerry is my real name)

High cost?

Cost me $35-$40 from ship to Waldorf=Astoria by cab. A bargain compared to carrying luggage on the underground.

Matthew

I'll be packing just 1 large suitcase and 1 I'm not sure what it is called but it has a zipper and hand straps and shoulder straps and a carrying case for my portable dvd player.Concerning crime in the subways maybe I should forget this idea and take the taxi from the Port Authority Bus Terminal in Midtown Manhattan to the Cunard Dock in Brooklyn instead.Does anyone think that it is to risky to go into the subway with lots of cash and valuables because of the possibility of being a criminal target in the late morning? I definately would not go into the subway late at night with lots of cash and valuables. Regards Cedric1902(Jerry is my real name)

I have a great vision of you trying to get more than one piece of luggage through the turnstills on the subway and then onto a New York City bus.

But seriously, I'd take the cab from midtown.

It's easier being a victim if one is burdened down with large bags, or parcels.

Not to mention the stress it'll impose on your back.

And I've read somewhere on this board that the nearest subway stop is quite a distance from the Red Hook terminal. So you'll end up taking a taxi anyway.

Do your back (and sanity) a favor, and take a cab from midtown.

You'll be glad you did. :)

I'll be packing just 1 large suitcase and 1 I'm not sure what it is called but it has a zipper and hand straps and shoulder straps and a carrying case for my portable dvd player.Concerning crime in the subways maybe I should forget this idea and take the taxi from the Port Authority Bus Terminal in Midtown Manhattan to the Cunard Dock in Brooklyn instead.Does anyone think that it is to risky to go into the subway with lots of cash and valuables because of the possibility of being a criminal target in the late morning? I definately would not go into the subway late at night with lots of cash and valuables. Regards Cedric1902(Jerry is my real name)

Jerry,

There is NO crime problem on the subway. That was years ago. The problem is logistical--getting yourself and your bag(s) up the stairs, down the stairs, thru the turnstiles, onto the bus...

There was a travelling program on today that was offering travel tips, and one tip was about packing, bag size, etc. The host suggested you pack your bag and walk around with it, going about your daily routine, for a couple of hours. If you can do that without trouble, then you could easily do the subway/bus routine.

Oh, and I believe I've also heard where you get off the bus is quite a walk to the terminal. Well, I know for a fact that the turn off/driveway from the street it is quite a walk (was there last month).

If you decide to do this, you will obviously have to write and tell us how it worked for you, and of course, we will be cheering on your effort. :)

Jerry:

I have a tough enough time in the subway with my purse and computer bag.. I can't imagine dragging my suitcase through the turnstill.

Take a cab. It'll be cheaper in the long run than the visits to the chiropracter!

All of a sudden, the Stones tune "Angie" is goin thru my mind ... :D ;)

;) When I was 15 some boys used to phone me and instead of talking, they would play the song.

However! I've never heard it played while on the subway, because everyone has iPods now instead of boomboxes. The subway is so much more civilised these days. Still a devil to navigate thru at times.

I was planning on doing exactly what you suggest last month, except I was arriving from NJ at Penn Station. However, I never got to try it since the TA crossing on the QM2 was canceled the week before. I still do want to try this route at some future sailing, so I did a C/P and sent my question and one of the responses from another CC poster to myself in an email for future reference. BTW, I also got lots of negative responses from other posters who would never do this themselves and thought that no one else should either:eek:! Here is a copy of my reference email...hope it helps:

We'll be arriving at Penn Station on Sept. 4 to make our way to Red Hook for the QM2 TA. We're big *public transit* fans and thought, rather than taking a taxi from Penn to Red Hook, that we would get the #2 or #3 at Penn and get off at Borough Hall and then hail a taxi to take us to Red Hook from there. Might this be doable? Or should we get the taxi directly from Penn to RH? I'm not at all familiar with Brooklyn, other than the infamous Belt Pky! We travel lightly so schlepping lots of suitcases is not a problem...we'll have only one each.

Downtown Brooklyn and Smith Street area has hundreds of cabs each hour. I'll take pictures to prove it. In fact what the OP suggests is doable....not recommended but doable. The reason its not recommended is because luggage and the subway just doesn't mix. However if you have a back pack and a single roll on it is doable.

If you have trouble catching a cab in front of Boro Hall walk west one Block to Clinton Street--- this is the streets the cabs use back to Manhattan with the hope of picking up a fare.

and Finally when the QM2 first docked a shuttle was provided for the crew to and from Boro Hall, if it is still being used I am sure they wouldn't mind taking a passenger(just tell them Marty Markowitz said it was ok---that isn't me but they know who it is).

I wouldn't write Arecibo for a quote the chances are they won't reply....just call them at 718 7836465 and they will tell you how much. They aren't big on reservations but come every quickly....most of the time.

You can also call them to come meet you at Boro Hall and I am sure they will be there in 10 minutes or less.

_________

You can find the entire thread here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=614755 I was amazed at how nasty some of the posters became....just because I wanted to take a subway!!! Go figure :confused:.

Just last week I talked to a travel agent, I can't remember which one, who said that Cunard provides tranfers from both Penn Station and Grand Central for a price. Since it is the first I have heard of this, I don't know if these transfers are a new service or a figment of the travel agent's imagination, but it might be worth checking out.

Cunard mentions transfers on their website. I have written to them for details and will post upon receipt.

There are post transfers from ship (Brooklyn) to Manhattan train stations.

But seriously, I'd take the cab from midtown.

It's easier being a victim if one is burdened down with large bags, or parcels. Not to mention the stress it'll impose on your back.

And I've read somewhere on this board that the nearest subway stop is quite a distance from the Red Hook terminal. So you'll end up taking a taxi anyway.Do your back (and sanity) a favor, and take a cab from midtown. You'll be glad you did. :)

Dear Jerry,

I Ditto Vic...... Please, don't fool around with luggage like this on a day that should be very restful and organzied. You will have a certain amount on your mind already, don't add this worry also. The more comfortable you make it to getting there, the more relaxed you will be arriving at the terminal.

The closet subway stop would be located at Smith & 9th Street, abit away from Redhook terminal. It is within an industrial area and I can tell you personally knowing that area very well, cabs are seen very little there. It is not like they know the Mary is in port and there are a load of them waiting there. No!, not true at this time at all. Other major stations would be located in Downtown Brooklyn by our Boro Hall.

I feel for you and others that travel, as we only have to travel 12 minutes from my home to the terminal without a hassle. Yes, I have heard from one couple on our last cruise that did take it and surprise how well they did. But as a local resident, I wouldn't until the city or Cunard would organize a shuttle service.

Hi Cedric/Jerry,

Which subway line were you thinking of taking from Port Authority? I used to take either the "A", "E" or "7" line from that bus station/subway stop and not only will you have some stairs to deal with but also a long walk depending on which entrance you use. If your luggage is too big for the turnstiles, you'll have to get the ticketing/subway agent's attention so he/she can buzz you in through the "Emergency Exit Doors" after you swipe your Metrocard. Elevators are available in the stations but often they are out-of-order or are very slow.

If you have a lot of luggage, I'd suggest taking a taxi which should be readily available, to the pier. As far as I know, the next taxi strike won't take place until we are on our cruise.

I was just browsing the thread entitled "Staying in Brooklyn" that had an article from yesterday's Washington Post about Brooklyn-- the terminal there, and the area. It also stated that the cruise lines are offering transfers from both Grand Central Station and Penn Station for $25.00. If you would like to read about it the web site is: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...100500888.html

Ooops--I tried the web sight but it doesn't work. Don't know why. I tried to transfer the web sight from the other thread but I can't figure that out either. Maybe someone else would know how to do that. I wish I knew how these things worked.

Ooops--I tried the web sight but it doesn't work. Don't know why. I tried to transfer the web sight from the other thread but I can't figure that out either. Maybe someone else would know how to do that. I wish I knew how these things worked.

Is this the link?

Some good information about the Brooklyn pier from The Washington Post yesterday:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...100500888.html

I used the helpful technique known as copy/paste. Very archaic, but it works very well. If there is a more sophisticated method, I don't know what it is. :)

I feel for you and others that travel, as we only have to travel 12 minutes from my home to the terminal without a hassle.

Ed,

Maybe you should consider opening a Bed & Breakfast for all those CC travellers looking to stay near port. ;)

Paul

Archived