Confused Texan Needs Spirit Fare Help

I’m from Dallas, Texas USA and apparently totally inept at making inquiries on the Thomson online site concerning details of a 2013 Spirit Baltic cruise. In researching and comparing itineraries, fares and reservations for other cruise lines, I have good info of the cabin categories, the costs associated with each type, and the dates and itineraries for 2013 sailings.

Then we stumbled across Thomson cruises on Cruise Critic, and in particular, a 2013 August criuise with a Baltic routing. But I am totally unable to find the fares for either the cabin types or the tour excursions online. Either on the Thomson site or the Thomas Cook site. Also the Thomson 2013 brochure fails to open in my browser. We have always booked other cruises direct with the cruise line.

Could certainly use some help. Is it possible to find this information on the site; and if so, where can the details be found, or is the only way to go through a travel agent? Or does anyone have an approximate cost of a week or two trip to the Baltic on the Spirit on a per nite basis? Most of the other excursions range from US $300 to $400 per night. Many thanks.

Hi- the website that should give you the information is

https://www.thomson.co.uk/cruise.html

However, I'm not sure Thomson uk take bookings from outside the uk, so you may need to ask an agent to check it out for you. The Spirit is a small ship, about 1200 passengers, so obviously doesn't have the same kind of facilities as the big ships. Also no balcony cabins. That said, they are not cheap. Next year for 2 people in a nice cabin (Baltic cruise) is £3,240 (total for 2). It does include tips etc, and their excursions and onboard prices are cheaper than many lines.

kate

I’m from Dallas, Texas USA and apparently totally inept at making inquiries on the Thomson online site concerning details of a 2013 Spirit Baltic cruise. In researching and comparing itineraries, fares and reservations for other cruise lines, I have good info of the cabin categories, the costs associated with each type, and the dates and itineraries for 2013 sailings.

Then we stumbled across Thomson cruises on Cruise Critic, and in particular, a 2013 August criuise with a Baltic routing. But I am totally unable to find the fares for either the cabin types or the tour excursions online. Either on the Thomson site or the Thomas Cook site. Also the Thomson 2013 brochure fails to open in my browser. We have always booked other cruises direct with the cruise line.

Could certainly use some help. Is it possible to find this information on the site; and if so, where can the details be found, or is the only way to go through a travel agent? Or does anyone have an approximate cost of a week or two trip to the Baltic on the Spirit on a per nite basis? Most of the other excursions range from US $300 to $400 per night. Many thanks.

Hello,

I have just had a look for you on the Thomson Website. Based on the most basic cabin for a 13 night Baltic Cruise on 10th August 2013, the cost for a cabin for 2 is £2538.

This goes to : Harwich , Kiel Canal , Warnemunde , Ship At Sea , Riga , Tallinn , St Petersburg , St Petersburg , Helsinki , Stockholm , Ship At Sea , Kalundborg , Ship At Sea , Harwich

You can upgrade your cabin - various different grades/decks - this ranges from £65 per adult for an inside cabin deck 3 /4 to £650 per adult for a suite.

Shore excursions vary greatly depending on 1/2 day or day trips & where you are heading but to give you an idea for St Petersburgh which tends to be about the most expensive I think, full days are approx £80 and 1/2 days approx £30 - £50 per person.

I have no idea how you would book a Thomson cruise from the USA but I can recall saying somebody has done this before on here...The only email address I can find who may be able to point you in the right direction is:- cruiseexcursions@thomson.co.uk which is the contact email for booking cruise excursions.

Hope this give you some idea to start with.

You might be best to call Thomson direct to enquire. The phone number from their website is 0044 (0)871 231 4691.

Contact Centre opening times:

Mon-Fri: 09.00-20.00

Sat: 09.00-18.00

Sun:10.00-17.00

(but allow for time difference!)

You might be best to call Thomson direct to enquire. The phone number from their website is 0044 (0)871 231 4691.

Contact Centre opening times:

Mon-Fri: 09.00-20.00

Sat: 09.00-18.00

Sun:10.00-17.00

(but allow for time difference!)

You can't always use 0871 numbers from outside the UK. Here are a few numbers that may be ok:-

01792 483369

01256 321300

01223 323228

These numbers may take you through to Thomson Holiday Shops / Travel Agents but hopefully they might help!

Thank you all, indeed, for your prompt assistance, Kate, Julessmiles and Marylizcat.

I will take your advice to telephone Thomson direct to make further inquiries. The trip I was interested in was the itinerary which Julessmiles referenced. It does seem a bit on the high side with the cabin upgrade (650 for a suite). However, the excursion you found for me to St. Petersburg is the one we were most wishing to take, and Norwegian indicates their cost to be $500 per person. NCL’s excursion to Berlin was also $500. Whew! So, Thomson really does shine in that regard.

We recently traveled on NCL’s Jade, just prior to it’s badly needed refurishment. It is a big ship, too big. Thomson would fill the bill for a smaller ship experience. Just have to figure out how to book from U.S. I will ask my U.S. agent to do the inquiries if I run into more obstacles, but not sure how/if he would get paid a comission. Guess he could always decline if there is no payment in it for him.

If I end up with Thomson, I’ll post again so other folks from U.S. will know how to book. Thanks again for your generous help.

Pat

also Thomson Cruise enquiries are based in Swansea :rolleyes: I cannot see any problem at all booking a cruise if you are based in the USA, as long as you get you're own flights to UK you would be travelling like any other passenger, some Brits live in Turkey and Spain and board the ships there which means they do not need to pay for flights, so I cannot see a problem for anyone else booking a cruise with Thomsons.....however be aware, for what you get, they are expensive. I mean, many repeat customers like the Thomson way, old broken down ships with charactor, friendly staff and generally passengers however some of that seems to be changing now as more and more youngsters on the ships. If you like big things shiny and new forget Thomsons!!!

Thank you all, indeed, for your prompt assistance, Kate, Julessmiles and Marylizcat.

I will take your advice to telephone Thomson direct to make further inquiries. The trip I was interested in was the itinerary which Julessmiles referenced. It does seem a bit on the high side with the cabin upgrade (650 for a suite). However, the excursion you found for me to St. Petersburg is the one we were most wishing to take, and Norwegian indicates their cost to be $500 per person. NCL’s excursion to Berlin was also $500. Whew! So, Thomson really does shine in that regard.

We recently traveled on NCL’s Jade, just prior to it’s badly needed refurishment. It is a big ship, too big. Thomson would fill the bill for a smaller ship experience. Just have to figure out how to book from U.S. I will ask my U.S. agent to do the inquiries if I run into more obstacles, but not sure how/if he would get paid a comission. Guess he could always decline if there is no payment in it for him.

If I end up with Thomson, I’ll post again so other folks from U.S. will know how to book. Thanks again for your generous help.

Pat

That £650 was just the top price - there are differing prices depending on cabin grade - other prices are £364 for deluxe cabin:-

Deck 8/9 Deluxe Cabin with Private Bath, Shower, WC

Deluxe cabins have either a 5ft queen size bed or 2 single beds (some cabins have parallel twin beds which can be converted to a double bed) whilst a third person can also be accommodated on a roll away bed (decks 6/7 only). All deluxe cabins are fully air-conditioned and have a picture window, 2 full length wardrobes, occasional chairs and table, colour TV, hairdryer, mini bar, safe - at a charge, and en suite bathroom. Deluxe cabins are 19m². P

or outside cabin deck 3/4 £182 per adult

Deck 3/4 outside with Shower, WC

Outside cabins have either one queen size bed or two single beds, which are either side by side or in an L-shaped configuration. Four berth cabins have twin beds and two upper berths which fold down. These cabins have additional wardrobe space. All cabins have two full length wardrobes, en suite bathroom with shower and WC, colour TV, safe - at a charge, and hairdryer. All are fully air-conditioned. Standard cabin sizes are between 13 and 16m². Outside cabins have a porthole.

Not sure how you would get on with a visa for Russia - I believe they are normally included in the cost of the trip but that may only be for EU Nationals - you will have to check that out plus any other visas you may need...

Tours of St Petersburgh area as follows:-

Enjoy a scenic drive to Peterhof, the town of palaces, fountains and parks on the coast of the Gulf of Finland. It was conceived by Peter the Great, to rival Versailles in splendour. And the extravagant fountain display is indeed beyond comparison. One of the highlights is Peter's Grand Palace, where you’ll notice a flamboyant Baroque style. See the Oak Study that has survived unaltered from the days of Peter the Great. Heading out into the grounds, see the Grand Cascade with its 3 waterfalls, and the fountain of Samson Rendering, The Jaws Of A Lion, which represents Russia's victory over Sweden in the Northern War. Your guide will then take you for a tasty Russian lunch in one of the city’s best restaurants before moving on to the Hermitage, Russia's largest art museum. To give you an idea of its size – it’s home to an astounding three million pieces of art. Admire the work of the grand masters of painting and don’t miss the vast Rembrandt collection. £88 pp

A visit to St. Petersburg is always an unforgettable experience. On this trip, you’ll clap eyes on a rich parade of sights, including Menshikov's Palace, the building of 12 Ministries of Peter the Great, the Academy of Sciences and the Chamber of Curiosities. The city’s rich history will come to life as you explore the bustling avenues of the city. At Vasilievsky Island, enjoy a magnificent view of the Neva River at its widest, the Naval Museum and the distinctive Rostral Columns. Your guide will then take you to the Aurora battleship that signalled the beginning of the historical Bolshevik Revolution in 1917. Plus you’ll see the field of Mars and its tremendous esplanade. Another jewel of the city is the Church of Resurrection on Spilled Blood, built on the site where Alexander II was assassinated in 1881. Your tour carries on towards Nevsky Avenue, Russia's most famous street, and the imposing red brick castle. On your way back, spend some time admiring St Isaac's Cathedral and Decembrist's Square. Take a look at the famous statue known as the 'Bronze Horseman'. Like we said, a visit to St Petersburg is an unforgettable experience. 1/2 day £34 pp

Spend a day ticking off all the best bits of St Petersburg. The trip begins at the town of Pushkin. Formerly known as Tsarskoye Selo, this charming place is loved for its palaces and parks. One of the highlights here is a trip to the lavish Catherine's Palace, an architectural masterpiece. Feast your eyes on the gorgeous Baroque façade and be mesmerised by the Amber Room - it was once considered to be the eighth Wonder of the World. After lunch, it’s time to get to know St Petersburg. Your first stop is the Peter and Paul Fortress, built by Peter the Great in 1703. In the centre stands the impressive cathedral, the burial place of Russian Emperors from Peter the Great to Alexander III. At 404 feet tall, it’s the highest building in the city. Crane your neck and see the magnificent golden angel atop the gilded spire – it’s one of the most recognised symbols of St Petersburg. After your tour of the fortress and cathedral, you’ll get time to do some shopping. Then you’ll carry on your city tour, taking in everything from the gilded cupola of St Isaac's Cathedral to the Baroque Winter Palace. As if that wasn’t enough, you’ll see the tombstones over the graves of Alexander II and Maria, the Aurora battleship and a monument to the city’s famous founder – Peter the Great. £78 pp

Plus many other tours on offer....

Definitely salivating at touring the Hermitage (especially for only £88). Catherine’s Palace also. And a deluxe upgrade would work just fine.

Do like things shiny and new, but would trade that for character if all other checks out. Was looking at MSC ships since they are shiny and some are new, but just too many negative dings in reviews concerning unhelpful service and rude passengers. They do have the requisite thread count, but also have a for sure culture clash in cruising styles (paying for water and no coffee at dinner?:eek:) and Thomson looks even better.

We were going to use frequent flyer miles to London and then make our way overland to departure port. Seems like it should be routine to do that. And since we are not going until 2013, we will have plenty of time to obtain any needed visas from a visa service here.

Such helpful advices :D – thanks yet again. Pat

Definitely salivating at touring the Hermitage (especially for only £88). Catherine’s Palace also. And a deluxe upgrade would work just fine.

Do like things shiny and new, but would trade that for character if all other checks out. Was looking at MSC ships since they are shiny and some are new, but just too many negative dings in reviews concerning unhelpful service and rude passengers. They do have the requisite thread count, but also have a for sure culture clash in cruising styles (paying for water and no coffee at dinner?:eek:) and Thomson looks even better.

We were going to use frequent flyer miles to London and then make our way overland to departure port. Seems like it should be routine to do that. And since we are not going until 2013, we will have plenty of time to obtain any needed visas from a visa service here.

Such helpful advices :D – thanks yet again. Pat

A friend of mine has just returned from MSC - ship was nice but she said she'd never go with them again - service was not good - unless you are Italian (which she's not!) and like you say, the passengers weren't the nicest or friendliest - very loud and pushing their way through all the time!! She was glad to have a cabin with a balcony to get away from it all!!:)

We've been on the Spirit - older ship, I agree but entertainment, service and food was all good and they were constantly cleaning it; the staff are very proud of looking after their ship. Glitzy, big American ship she's not but I would go back on her!

Departing from Harwich ?

I think there is a rail link direct to the port from one of the main London stations -we've never sailed from there, other members can advise on that.

Leger coaches do return connections from main cities and towns in conjunction with Thomsons cruises - reasonably priced as well. Contact Thomsons for specifics.

No idea about visa requirements for US nationals - fortunately for St.Petersburg it's a group visa if you go with the organised tour. Trying to arrange one for Russia on your own is both expensive and administatively difficult, according to what we've been told

• 10 months later...

I have just finished booking 8 people on a Thomson cruise Spirit in August and it took me 6 week trying to get an online booking answers for Thomson. Finally we called them ($50) and were told that they could not help with a online booking because they received no commission. I then got in touch with a Uk travel agent Cruise 118 and they took great care of us. I have been booking online for the last 8 cruises and I have never tried to book a cruise with a cruise that acted as if that didn't care if I gave them my money are not. I am looking forward to the cruise because it goes with we want to go but DON'T expect any help from Thomson Cruise line.

to be fair, Thomsons dont market internationally, Thomsons cruises are aimed at an almost exclusively British audience, I dont expect their online systems are geared for international transactions......You would most likely have the same problems if you tried to book online with Aida (German) or Pullmantur (Spanish)

I'm pleased to hear that you have found a british based TA who has helped you organize this....I'm sure you will have a enjoyable time once onboard Spirit and its a great itinerary too

hope you enjoy

I think it has been said on here many times that if the service on the ships could be replicated at Thomson Head Office we would all be happy.

I'm glad you found a TA that helped you book your cruise. I have been on the Spirit and she is lovely ship, with a wonderful staff, not big and glitzy, but with a warm and friendly atmosphere and great entertainment :)

I hope you all have a wonderful time :)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I have wanted to book a Thomson cruise for several years but have not found an agent to take US customers. I wrote an email to Cruise118 mentioned above and got a prompt reply and offer to book. Good deal and thanks for the info.

Are you with the group from TX on the Cruise 27 Aug?

Pat

You will see a huge difference between NCL and thomsons - we like their laid back approach but the spirit is tiny compared to what you have cruised on so be prepared for an older ship with 5 star service

Archived