Any real need to fill out disability forms?

dakwriter

My DH and I are going on our first cruise in September. I told our TA that I would be using my wheelchair on board this Carnival cruise but would not be requiring a modified or fully accessible cabin because I can walk short distances. As a result, we booked a regular inside cabin guarantee.

In a later letter to the TA I mentioned the fact that I would be requesting a shower bench from the room steward, as I have read of others on this forum doing so with no problem. I just wanted to verify that this was the correct procedure for Carnival. In response, the TA insisted that we fill out a "Special Requirements Information" form and send it to Carnival. I received this form in today's mail and am surprised to see how detailed it is, even down to asking for the dimensions of my wheelchair.

Is this form really necessary in order to get a simple shower bench? I'm not asking for a special cabin and am concerned that once Carnival gets the form that my DH and I will then be restricted to modified cabins instead of possible upgrades.

I would like to hear of the experiences of others about the consequences of filling out the form versus not filling it out. What would happen if my DH and I simply showed up at check-in with me in a wheelchair? I could understand the need for the form if my medical problems needed extensive accommodations or if I was taking my service dog with me, which I'm not. But for a simple shower bench? Should I take my own bench with me instead?

I'm sorry that I'm so new at this I don't understand the need for special forms or the possible repercussions if I do fill one out. I clearly need to hear the voices of experience here.

Thanks,

Deb K.:cool:

Why are you reluctant to fill out the form, no matter how detailed it may be? If this is what Carnival says they require and you have need for the shower bench, simply fill it out and send it in. Failure to do so could lead them to believe you dont have real need, and you could jeopardize your future with Carnival if your condition worsens and you need an accessible cabin. Almost all the cruise lines are asking questions because they have had so much criticism of laxity in the past. We have had to do similar routines recently with Royal Caribbean and Holland America. Stop trying to fight it and just send the damn form in.:) :)

personally, I'd just send them a note saying you require a specific type of a shower chair.

That's all they are required to know under the ADA, especially since you have not requested an accessible cabin. (but even if you had, you only need to note the accommodations you require, and not why you specifically require them) For example, " I need an accessible cabin with a roll-in shower"

i would not give them any specifics of your disability (it's not required) , just what equipment you need.

Truthfully that is all they are allowed to ask.

Candy

That's all they are required to know under the ADA, especially since you have not requested an accessible cabin. (but even if you had, you only need to note the accommodations you require, and not why you specifically require them) For example, " I need an accessible cabin with a roll-in shower"

i would not give them any specifics of your disability (it's not required) , just what equipment you need.

Truthfully that is all they are allowed to ask.

There is nothing in the OP's missive that indicates she is being asked specific questions relating to her medical condition. Further, I'm guessing the cruiselines are pretty savvy and know what they may or may not ask from a legal standpoint.

Hi All,

If filling out a form to certify I'm disabled will help with the problem of cruise lines giving Accessible Cabins to ABs then I'm all for it. I've done consulting work regarding ADA for 10+ years & I don't know of any requirement for such a form within ADA.BTW I'm a disabled power WC user.

:)HAPPY CRUISING:)

I think that you need not fret about the form, because they are trying to help.

I also think that Queenie2 is mistaken about the ADA as the cruise lines are foreign companies.

Actually, Queenie is correct. The Supreme Court has ruled that the ADA DOES apply to all cruise ships when they are on a trip which include an American port. While the Access Board has still not published the final ADA regulations for cruise ships (which is now running into 3 years to draft), the court case does apply.

Just tell them what you need. Don't tell them what your disability is (ie, CP, MS, SCI, etc.). That is information to which they are NOT entitled.

On one occasion when we were sailing on a HAL, DH asked for a shower chair when the bench seat in our roll-in shower did not feel sturdy enough for him. Our steward got us one, no problem.

We were in an accessible room - DH is in a power wheelchair.

My point is just that it didn't appear to be a big deal to procure such a seat!

To echo what Splinter and Queenie said, yes the ADA applies to cruise ships.

Hi Dakwriter: This is just a suggestion. We had scheduled a Med cruise with NCL on the Jewel for last October. We were booked on deck 10 with a balcony. Unfortunately, my DH went in for back sugery nearly a year before the scheduled cruise and it turned into a medical disaster. He had to undergo additional surgery four months before the cruise. When we got him home I watched him struggle with a walker and a body brace and without even informing my TA called NCL and asked for the same type of room only handicapped accessible. We were very lucky, there was the same room we had booked that was handicapped accessible. The doorways are wider, the bathroom bigger and the cabin was wide enough where he had no problem using a walker. We were not asked to fill out any forms. No one asked what his disability was. He was able to stand in the shower, but it was a stall shower on the floor, slightly tilted toward the wall for the drains...he was able to walk right in...no tub to step over(which would have been impossible). The toilet seat was much higer, and everything worked out well. I would just ask for what you need when you get on the ship. I think that they are asking for forms to be filled out because of liability. I remember asking if I could run an IV line on the ship (if it was necessary) and that was the only thing I was asked to request from the mail office. Fortunately, we were past that about one month before we left. NCL asked for no information and was more that accomodating. We were even given VIP passes to get off the ship when we needed to and there were always staff around to help us manuver down the ramps. Good luck and happy sailing.

well the op did say that it was a detailed form, so who knows what details they asked.

IMHO, the only detail they need to know is what kind of a shower chair the OP requires. Period.

If it were me and I were driving to the port, I'd throw my own shower chair in the van and take it aboard with me. It's easier and then I'd know what I would be getting. Less hassles, no special needs department to deal with and no forms to fill out.

I like easy. Candy

I am traveling with my disabled son in December and I have completed and sent in our form. I wanted to be first to ask for the shower bench, to inquire about a lift for the pool and tubs, to inform and ask about tours that are appropriate.

My thought as a nurse is the more information I give to others before we go the less that is omitted or overlooked, as I have asked for the moon for him.

We need a refrig for some meds too.

I also travel with letters from his MD regarding his implanted Baclofen pump (which set off all kinds of security devices).

We are working hard to be able to get him into and out of regular cars especially since we got the portable wheelchair recommended by Splinter. We are going to take his power chair too and the charger plus a multi-strip power cord times two, as he requires a good amount of plugged in devices.

Linda

It sounds to me as if HAL has just provided their standard form. Please

don't worry about items that do not pertain to you. My recommendation,

based on past experience:

1) Just submit the information pertaining to your specific needs/requests.

This will assure the items you require will be available - compared to waiting

until the last minute and/or upon boarding.

2) It will also alert the ship personnel of any special needs you may

require in the event of any emergency at sea. For instance, it would be

useful if they knew you were using a wheelchair.

I agree with We2Cruise. If, God forbid, there is an emergency like the Star Princess fire I want the ship's personnel to know that I am a slow walker who cannot do steps without assistance. Since the elevators would be out of service I would be in deep trouble as I guess I would sit on the steps and bump my way down.

I thank all of you for taking the trouble to respond. Clearly, this is a group that considers responses carefully in an effort to help.

Although I was not happy filling out a form that I felt was intrusive and unnecessary, today I went ahead and bowed to the powers that be and faxed the completed form to Carnival. I had phoned Guest Access Services and was told that even though they already had a record of my wheelchair through my registration they still required this additional "special requirements information" form.

My question remains: Why don't AB people have to fill out forms in order to request extra pillows or towels from their cabin stewards? Why are the disabled singled out, categorized and filed for eternity as being "special?"

I'd much rather be known for who I am than the physical tools that I happen to use.

Sorry if this seems like a rant. I'm just tired of being treated differently than other people. I will request what I need, just like those needing extra pillows do, but I do not like having to jump through extra bureaucratic hoops to do so.

Thanks for listening,

a tired dakwriter (sigh)

Asking for an extra pillow is a whole lot different from asking for a shower chair for a disabled person. I've been disabled for 52 years, and it doesn't matter one little bit to me when I'm asked for information to make my travels easier. The reason they ask is for their own liability issues and for their insurance. It's not to be intrusive, but to protect themselves in case of a lawsuit. I don't think a cruise line has ever been sued because someone hurt themselves on a pillow, but I bet they have been sued because of someone falling or slipping in a shower or falling off a shower chair.

I thank all of you for taking the trouble to respond. Clearly, this is a group that considers responses carefully in an effort to help.

Although I was not happy filling out a form that I felt was intrusive and unnecessary, today I went ahead and bowed to the powers that be and faxed the completed form to Carnival. I had phoned Guest Access Services and was told that even though they already had a record of my wheelchair through my registration they still required this additional "special requirements information" form.

My question remains: Why don't AB people have to fill out forms in order to request extra pillows or towels from their cabin stewards? Why are the disabled singled out, categorized and filed for eternity as being "special?"

I'd much rather be known for who I am than the physical tools that I happen to use.

Sorry if this seems like a rant. I'm just tired of being treated differently than other people. I will request what I need, just like those needing extra pillows do, but I do not like having to jump through extra bureaucratic hoops to do so.

Thanks for listening,

a tired dakwriter (sigh)

While I agree with you, it is frustrating to have to take these types of extra steps I would tend to look at it from a different point of view. If I take these steps now, my cruise will be more enjoyable because I won't have to deal with any of these issues (accessibility, shower chair, etc) once I'm on board.

I think that the more information the cruise lines have about your needs, without violating privacy laws, will make your cruise more enjoyable and safer in the event of an emergency.

Just my opinion!

A few years ago my husband booked us an airline flight through an online agency. The only problem was because of how he booked it, we couldn't choose our seats. I needed a left side aisle seat so I could extend my right leg. I spoke to customer service rep after customer service rep and no one could guarantee me the seat I wanted. My husband kept telling me that we would deal with it at the airport but I wanted to resolve it prior to flying. I finally got a hold of someone who, not only got me the seat I wanted but upgraded us to business class. The point is that sometimes you have to deal with these things ahead of time, even though it's frustrating, so that you can relax knowing things are taken care of.

Did you just say you were on carnival -then I think I might know why... We were on the Conquest on March and a gentleman on deck 9 had a regular cabin - said he didn't need a HC because he could park his WC (which did not fit through the door) in the corridor... Well we didn't have good weather going out of Galveston and the second night he did not secure it properly so it went flying down the corridor crashing in to the wall at 3 in the morning. That not only caused some damage to the wall and the wheel chair but it got awhole lot of passenger up in a start!!

We can laugh about it now but back then it wasn't very funny ... one dear old lady opened the door with her lifejacket in hand and a very frightened look on her face - it took some explaining that she was not in danger!! It got even better about 10 cabin were awake in a second at 3 in the morning but the Culprit had taken a sleeping pill and could not be roused... Most passenger were not amused to find the WC outside his door the next night either and security then removed for the safety of all since imagine it had not been the wall but rather another passenger.... So maybe they are trying to make sure this sort of thing does not happen again

Moeve,

I suspect this is why the woman on the phone at Carnival Guest Access Services asked me if my wheelchair collapses, which is does, and then told me they do not allow wheelchairs or scooters to be parked in the corridors outside the cabins. This may be a new policy based upon what happened on the Conquest and, perhaps, on other ships.

I pity the elderly lady who grabbed her life jacket! The poor thing must have been scared half to death!:(

dakwriter

The form doesn't ask much in the way of info, I fill on out everytime for my (mobility impaired) Mom and (Type 2 Diabetic) myself. What it does is lets Carnival know that there are passengers with needs, the Maitre "d gets flagged so that the table assignment for you will be wheelchair accessable and if there are any special diet requirements (diabetic), plus then the crew is alerted that in case of an emergency, they need to assist the person first and foremost. I asked the Purser about this on the first cruise I took Mom on and was told that in case of an emergency, they have the list of folks that need to be seen to saftey first and they would actually send 2 crewmen to carry her to safety if needed. The tables we get assigned to are always easy to access (a lot of them are in the middle of the dining room and hard to reach even walking) and after the first night, the waiters always remove a chair to make space for the wheelchair. My Mom even has trouble cutting her meal (Parkinsons also) and usually the first night the waiter or assistant see this and asks if she'd like help and she always replies with "yes please" and they do it for her every night after that. We usually eat Breakfast and Lunch on the Lido deck so myself and DD help out when needed, and there have been a lot of times that crew memebrs ask if they need to help serve her something from the buffett if she can't reach it and even offer to carry her tray, helps her feel good about being able to pick and choose her own food, instead of us doing it for her, plus she loves talking to the crew. They are really good about getting her beverages and refilling them too. Mom instist that I only take her on Carnival becuase of the royal treatment she gets ... and don't get me started on how GREAT (they are truly wonderful with this situation) they are with tendering.

Just completed the form for my Mom for our next cruise (Carnival Spirit 10/13) and all it asks is: Name, Booking number, Today's Date, Sailing Date, Home Phone, Work Phone, Spirit, Stateroom, do you need a Wheelchair Lift (check Yes or No) Describe and "special" medical, physical or other requirements (I list Mom's issues and use this space for requesting a Ahower Stool/Chair), and want to know the type of Wheelchair you are bringing (Mobility Cart/Scooter, manual Wheelchair or Electric Wheelchair) and how you use it (At all times/No mobility, Occasionally/Limited Mobility or Distance Only/Mobile) I don't think this is asking too much, plus the same form is used for my Type 2 Diabetes.

Glad to help.

• 2 weeks later...

We filled out the form, they were great about having everything ready for my mom, she appreciated the attention I think. We ended up not needing the sharps container for needles (my mom is diabetic and used the pen kind instead of needles), but they were ready for her to use it if needed. They were very accomodating everywhere we went with her walker and her needs - so I was greatful they made her experience so much more enhanced/enjoyable!

Hello. I am sailing with several family and friends on the Conquest in October. My 75 year old Grandmother will be sailing with us. Although she does not use a wheelchair during her daily activities, she does get tired easily and gives out with extended walking or stair climbing. Does Carnival have wheelchairs available for this type of condition? She does not have a wheelchair, but I would like one available for her if she feels that she needs it. Thanks for the help.

Lisa

Archived