carrying liquor instead of wine

iluv2travel4

I would find it hard to believe that they would let a bottle of tequila go through. Not saying she is lying, but with the way Carnival is cracking down on smuggling I can't see this happening.

I've never tried it I've only brought on my bottles of wine.

I think it depends on the port. I now if each time we have sailed out of NY that actually had us take the bottles out of the bag so they could see them...they did not do that however in Port Canaveral so I guess it really depends...it is POSSIBLE, but don't be upset if they take it...

Spend $40 or $50 and call Bon Voyage. You'll spend $20 at the store to buy a bottle that probably will be taken away. Spend an additional $20 with BV and you know it'll be there. I'll never understand why people go to such trouble. BV is a great option.

Drink the wine (while at home) rinse the bottle, fill with liquor, seal top, take on board. :D

Won't work unless you can fully recork and "factory foil wrap" the top.

There are bottles of mixed drinks with tequila that do look similar in shape to wine bottles but they say "Liquor" on them and they are not sealed like wine bottles. They will be taken.

You might, and emphasis is on "might", be able to by-pass the liquor table when returning to the ship in a port if, big "if", there is a line and half the ship is reboarding at the same time you are. But not walking through the security screening at your embarkation port.

Has anyone ever carried on a bottle of liquor instead of wine? One of my girlfriends said that she carried on a bottle of tequila and no one took it away. Has anyone else ever done that?

You might want to ask how long ago this was. We never had a problem "smuggling" before. We didn't even try to conceal the liquor, just put it in our checked bags and it always got through. They used to look the other way. But times have changed and security's gotten tighter.

Friends of ours own a wine brewing store, i am going to bring them a bottle of gin (for hubby yuckkk) and have them "bottle" it .

I love this idea! however since i dont know anyone who can do that...ill just have to do it myself...

http://www.northernbrewer.com/winemaking/wine-equipment/wine-bottling?cat=203

I just booked my 1st Carnival cruise...so... Challenge Accepted :-D

LOL it really has nothing to do with the price, the BV option is not too bad... but now it truly is just the challenge.

Drink the wine (while at home) rinse the bottle, fill with liquor, seal top, take on board. :D

See comment below. Security has asked to see the seal of my wine on several occasions.

Won't work unless you can fully recork and "factory foil wrap" the top.

There are bottles of mixed drinks with tequila that do look similar in shape to wine bottles but they say "Liquor" on them and they are not sealed like wine bottles. They will be taken.

You might, and emphasis is on "might", be able to by-pass the liquor table when returning to the ship in a port if, big "if", there is a line and half the ship is reboarding at the same time you are. But not walking through the security screening at your embarkation port.

This matches my experiences.

Bon Voyage, although a bit pricey is still a savings and is handy to have in the room.

On the other hand. If your liqour looks like a wine bottle and is in the original unopened container.... All you have to lose is the use of it during the cruise. You can get it back the last morning and take it back home.;)

Spend $40 or $50 and call Bon Voyage. You'll spend $20 at the store to buy a bottle that probably will be taken away. Spend an additional $20 with BV and you know it'll be there. I'll never understand why people go to such trouble. BV is a great option.

Well said! Just cruised on the the Valor out of Miami last week. We bought a bottle of Tequilla and JD from Bon Voyage and then carried on soda/mixers and a bottle of wine each. They really checked the seals on the mixers and read the ingredients of my Izzy soda's!

The bottles from Bon Voyage were waiting for us and they were huge 1 liter bottles. We would mix drinks in our room and had no problems walking into dinner, club and other places with our drinks in a glass. I bought a few strawberry margaritas and then added some extra tequilla.

Go to the Thank You party on the last day at sea - free drinks!

:)

Agreed, 100%. It is very worth the extra. That one bottle of Bacardi lasted us our entire trip and probably saved us at least $200 on our bar bill. We each brought 12, 20oz bottles of punch flavored gatorade in our carry ons, with no questions asked. Note- 24, 20oz bottles of juice is TOO MUCH for one bottle of rum. LOL. We brought home 12 of the 24. Should have brought waters! No one checked seals or anything as someone stated above. Wouldn't have mattered as they were brand new bottles of gatorade. I think that depends on which port you are in or who is working that day.

We still bought some drinks at the bar, and got our monkey cups!

It definitely is a great option without the hassle or worry. From all that I have read, you will either get your liquor taken away, or it will break in your luggage and then you will have to pay for new clothes, or dry cleaning on board... opportunity cost. So, just order from the BV and set your mind at ease.

p.s. I also got a rum runner for the kicks. Stuck it with toiletries and it wasn't visible. I just wanted to try it once ;)

Where on the Carnival website is the list of liquor available thru Bon Voyage?

You have to call them~ here's the number and a list of most of what they offer~ if you don't see what you want ask them~

Bon Voyage 800-522-7648 ~You have to call to order~not available Online! Monday-Friday 9am-5pm EST

They may have other choices, so if you don’t see something you like, ASK

Most bottles are 1 liter in size. Prices may vary & do not include tax.

If you want a receipt you need to ask them to email you one.

__________________________________________________ __

Rums:

Gosling‘s Black Seal, Appleton Estate VX, Appleton White, Bacardi, Bacardi Limon $40.

Capt Morgan Spiced, Malibu $55

Vodkas:

Absolute, Absolute Citron, Stolichnaya, Skyy, Finlandia $40

Grey Goose, Three Olives, Kettle One $60

Gin:

Beefeater, Sloe Gin $40

Bombay Sapphire $55

Tanqueray $55

Whiskeys:

Canadian Club, Seagram’s 7 $38

Crown Royal $55

Jamison $55

Scotch:

Dewar’s White Label, Chivas Regal $60

Johnny Walker Black $70

Glenmorangie (single malt) $70

Bourbon:

Jim Beam $38

Jack Daniels Black $55

Maker’s Mark $60

Tequila:

Margaritaville Gold $40

1800 Resposado $ 55

Salza, Hornitas, Reposado $60

Patron Silver $70

After Dinner:

Frangelico, Amaretto Di Saronno, Brogans Irish Cream $45

Southern Comfort, Kahula, Galliano $55

Grand Marnier, Chambord, Limoncello, Jagermeister $60

Baileys $65

Brandy

Apricot, Blackberry, and Cherry $40

Courvoisier VSOP $55

Peach Schnapps $40

Smirnoff Ice - Citrus $5.75

Beer: Beer is sold as singles. The prices do not differ for a case. Not sure if they offer all types that they have in the bars, so ask what else they have.

Bud/Bud Light 16 ounce $5.75

Bud Light Lime 16oz $6.25

Miller Lite 16oz $5.75

Coors Light 16oz $5.75

Heinekin 12 oz bottle $4.95

Amstel Reg/Lite - $4.95

Michelob Ultra 16oz $5.75

Corona – 12 oz bottle - $4.95

Fosters – Large 750ML $6.75

Red Bull Reg/Sugar Free $4.75 (8.3 oz)

Mixers (soda’s/juices) are the same price as the bar. $1.95 for a can of soda and $1.75 for juice, plus gratuity. Fresh Lemon and lime can be ordered from Room Service

Thanks for all of your replies! I am a little nervous about bringing on liquor, so we called BV and will have a bottle of Stoli waiting for us in our room. I will bring on the wine, with a wine cork too! Only 40 more days till we sail now, I am pumped!

Archived