Bumpy Flight Boosts Lap Children Concerns?

BlueHerons

I posted this on the family forum instead of air because I think it is more relevant here.

Both the airline pilots association, flight attendants association, and the airline mechanics associations publicly criticize the FAA for allowing lap children.

http://www.today.com/moms/severely-bumpy-flights-boost-lap-baby-concerns-2D12145603

I find it hard to get too excited by the danger aspect. It's very sad that a baby died 25 years ago when a plane crashed; but I don't think there's any suggestion that wearing a seat belt would have gauranteed its safety.

Has any lap baby ever died as a result of turbulence, in the entire history of aviation? If they have, that article failed to find it. There are many much more active dangers to children that they could concentrate on - the number killed by Christmas tree lights, for example. There's one of those more Christmases than not.

I've never understood "lap" children....if they make you stow your purse under the seat, because it might "fly around" in turbulence....what in the world did they think a child might do????

I thought hand luggage had to be stowed under the seat so that you don't trip over it when heading to the emergency exit. The "under the seat" rule only applies during takeoff and landing, not during the flight.

I find it hard to get too excited by the danger aspect. It's very sad that a baby died 25 years ago when a plane crashed; but I don't think there's any suggestion that wearing a seat belt would have gauranteed its safety.

Has any lap baby ever died as a result of turbulence, in the entire history of aviation? If they have, that article failed to find it. There are many much more active dangers to children that they could concentrate on - the number killed by Christmas tree lights, for example. There's one of those more Christmases than not.

Yes, there are multiple cases where the only fatality in a plane crash was a lap child.

I thought hand luggage had to be stowed under the seat so that you don't trip over it when heading to the emergency exit. The "under the seat" rule only applies during takeoff and landing, not during the flight.

You have to secure your belongings so they don't turn into projectiles during turbulence.

""And think again if you believe crashes are the only danger; severe turbulence can, and has, torn children from their parents’ grasp and slammed them into ceilings, walls, floors, and seats with unimaginable violence.""

http://childseats.weebly.com/

Edited by BlueHerons

I know it's all about the $$$$ for airlines..but I for one wish they would offer even a small discount for children under a certain age...that would certainly make it easier on families...

We're flying with a grandchild under 2 for a family cruise and will be using the CARES Harness System.

Another thing to consider is even if it was required for all passengers to have their own seat, many of them would end up in their parent's laps anyway...

Regardless, I'm not aware of their being a lot of issues with kids during turbulence. On the rare occasion you hear of injuries due to bumps, it is always adults. Usually flight attendants. The article linked above says an infant was thrown from it's mothers arms and was unharmed.

Edited by Lerin

In the past, I've read that since flying is statistically safer than driving, the government doesn't want to ban lap children since more families would choose to drive. We have always traveled with a car seat, since we are afraid of extreme turbulence, and also because I believe that my son sleeps better in his car seat rather than a large airplane seat. We have scheduled 4 flights during nap time, and our son has slept through all four soundly in his carseat. I would recommend that all families that can afford to purchase a seat do so.

Another thing to consider is even if it was required for all passengers to have their own seat, many of them would end up in their parent's laps anyway...

Regardless, I'm not aware of their being a lot of issues with kids during turbulence. On the rare occasion you hear of injuries due to bumps, it is always adults. Usually flight attendants. The article linked above says an infant was thrown from it's mothers arms and was unharmed.

The FAA states that a child is safer in his or her own seat than on a lap. That's fine if a kid wants to sit in mom's lap but when severe turbulence hits, kid must be strapped in to his/her own seat.

A tree in my yard might fall on me and kill me when I'm cutting grass too. It's all about the odds to me.

I agree that even with their own seats most children, mine included, wind up in a parents lap. To me the odds that they will be strapped into their car seat st the moment when turbulence happens to hit seems very small. The "extreme turbulence" events are happen quickly and without much warning.

I support that kids should have there own seat but I don't think the government should get involved. Personally, my child is one that doesn't want to be constantly held so I can't imagine taking a flight without a seat of her own. We'd drive ourselves and everyone around us crazy. (She's very well behaved btw she just wants to be put down) So I don't have a dog in the fight as it were but the last thing anybody needs is more regulation. Hell it's hard enough to travel with a kid as it is with them needing to be in a car seat until they're 18!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, there are multiple cases where the only fatality in a plane crash was a lap child.

""And think again if you believe crashes are the only danger; severe turbulence can, and has, torn children from their parents’ grasp and slammed them into ceilings, walls, floors, and seats with unimaginable violence.""

http://childseats.weebly.com/

Multiple plane crashes where the only fatality was a lap child? Can you provide links, please. Because if there are multiple plane crashes where the only fatality was a lap child, there must be many many more plane crashes where there wasn't a lap child on board and everyone survived. And I'm not convinced by the idea that crashing a plane is such a safe thing to do.

This is one of those statistics that smells all wrong, and I suspect has no numerical evidence behind it. Unless anyone can prove any different. Are you sure you aren't confusing commercial flights with private planes?