How to convince my inner ear we're not at sea anymore?

Kmkub

We disembarked from the Ruby Princess yesterday at 10:00 a.m.

I'm still totally disoriented. It doesn't matter if I'm sitting, standing, lying down; I am shaky and wobbly and keep feeling like I'm going to be sick.

If it's helpful information, I am a bit congested and we had extremely windy days (40-50 knots) for the first 2 1/2 days.

But I'm over it. How can I convince my inner ear that all is fine and we're back home? Any suggestions? I've been taking sudafed regularly since we got home.

This has never happened before. I generally get my land legs back within a few hours.

if its bad, valium can sometimes help

also try an exercise: before bed, sit on the bed's edge. Side bend your whole body to the left as far down as you can go while keeping your back straight. Do this slowly and then slowly return to an upright position. Repeat 4 more times. Then do the same for the other side. It will help retrain the position sensing cells in your inner ear.

good luck. This has happened to me a few times and its not fun!

I agree with taking Bonine regularly for several days or until it subsides. A 3 night cruise on the Imagination we took was very windy as well with rough seas for the first couple of days. When I got off the ship, I had the same issues for almost a week. My last cruise was the smoothest yet and I had no issues. Usually, I'm somewhere in between the 2 extremes. So you're not alone- this is a relatively common experience.

I took some Dramamine about an hour ago and I'm feeling a bit better.

Thanks so much everyone!

This happened to me after our last cruise.:( I never had that before.:confused: I didn't think about Dramamine. Thanks:)

The first time we cruised, DH said he felt like the ground was moving away from him when he walked and I laughed at him. The next time we cruised, every port we went to I couldn't wait to get back onboard to feel okay again. An hour after disembarkation I was feeling disorientated. We had a 9 hour flight home and by the time we got off the plane I couldn't walk in a straight line and was being sick. I went to the hospital where they injected me and said it should wear off in a few days, but could also last several months. Luckily after 3 weeks I was more or less back to normal. Over the years it has gradually got better and now only lasts 2 or 3 days and is quite mild. I tried Bonine and ginger capsules but neither work for me. It affects different people in different ways, and remedies will work for some not others. It will never stop me cruising though.

I knew I shouldn't have laughed at hubby on our first cruise! :(

Karenna is correct. I work for Ear, Nose & Throat Drs. and those exercises are what they prescribe to our patients quite often. We also do whats called an "Epley manuever" in the office on a table. Most times the patient walks out feeling a lot better. The key with the exercises is stay in each position for at least 10-15 seconds if no dizziness or until dizziness passes. Drs. reccommend 3 times a day till feeling is gone.

Archived