Menu question re: Dynamic Dining

birdlord

I think I read somewhere that the alternative dining options have the same menu offering every night (true? I don't know because I never did any alternative dining). . . but if it is true, when the Oasis/Allure (and whatever other ships) change over to Dynamic Dining - wherein everywhere is "alternative" dining (sometimes fee free, sometimes with a fee), will the menus remain the same every night or will they have different offerings? I only ask because I will be on Oasis when it changes to DD - and we prefer to keep our selections to fee-free as much as possible. However, if the menu is the same all the time, it may have an effect on what our plans are and how we reserve our meals.

I believe Royal has said they will change the menus once per week in the Dynamic Dining venues on Oasis.

Oh - well, I hope they mean mid-week so if you visit a place twice, you get two different offerings! Thanks. I hadn't heard anything and trying to be patient to see what people experience . . . but having the winter doldrums and dreaming of next December -- I just want as much info now as possible ;)

You could have 100 people in a row tell you that you are getting menus changes mid-week - but that doesn't mean it will happen on your sailing.

Between the 3 fee-free venues you will have 20+ choices even if the menus never change. On top of that you will likely have alternates to those in the form of the current simple menu. On top of that you can ask your waiter for alternates to what is listed on the menu. Surely, there are others ways to pass the winter doldrums than a seemingly non-issue of DD menu choices.

Surely, there are others ways to pass the winter doldrums than a seemingly non-issue of DD menu choices.

Wow! Birdlord just asked a question. Birdlord, from what understand, each restaurant has a different menu from the others. That being the case, having the same menu every night in each restaurant shouldn't be an issue. I agree with you, having the same menu every night in all the restaurants could get old.

Edited by Ann262

Wow! Birdlord just asked a question. Birdlord, from what understand, each restaurant has a different menu from the others. That being the case, having the same menu every night in each restaurant shouldn't be an issue. I agree with you, having the same menu every night in all the restaurants could get old.

Thanks - yes, that's what I'm hoping for. We also have the complication of my husband having seafood allergies, so that nixes all seafood choices, but I am hopeful there is enough variation no matter what happens with the menus.

We were on the Quantum 8 night sailing and prior to the cruise I had the same concerns that you expressed. We decided to try all of the complementary restaurants during the week and the only meal I repeated was the Lobster Thermidor which was by choice.

For years it seems to me that the MDR menu on one night had many choices that were among my favorites. I often wished that I could have had that one menu more than once during the cruise.

We were on the Quantum 8 night sailing and prior to the cruise I had the same concerns that you expressed. We decided to try all of the complementary restaurants during the week and the only meal I repeated was the Lobster Thermidor which was by choice.

For years it seems to me that the MDR menu on one night had many choices that were among my favorites. I often wished that I could have had that one menu more than once during the cruise.

I agree, especially on other nights when I was hard-pressed to find anything that appealed to me.

Just got off Quantum's first 11 night. Dynamic dining menu's remained the same for the entire trip, although the menu's are different in each of the "no fee" restaurants. Please note that the number of items in each section, e.g. appetizers, entrees, desserts, are fewer in number and are mostly "Avant guard items", e.g. flatbread pizzas for 1st course, than usual in a main DR. There are few salads and fewer soups no matter where you go. With fewer menu items, there are seemingly fewer choices when you return to a restaurant unless you repeat your favorites. Dinner menu in American Icon is the same as lunch menu with two additional items in each category (American Icon is only no fee restaurant open al lunch except for Coastal Kitchen, reserved for Pinnacles and Suites).

Between the 3 fee-free venues you will have 20+ choices even if the menus never change. On top of that you will likely have alternates to those in the form of the current simple menu. On top of that you can ask your waiter for alternates to what is listed on the menu. Surely, there are others ways to pass the winter doldrums than a seemingly non-issue of DD menu choices.

Well that may work for you, but personally I am allergic to all fish except for salmon. The new menus in three free Oasis restaurants look to be very fish heavy. So cut all those choices for me. I also cannot eat cheese or eggs. Again, a bunch of entreees that I cannot eat. So yes, I too am very concerned that there appears to be only one or two items in each restaurant that I can order. I really don't want to be eating the same thing over and over again.

Just got off Quantum's first 11 night. Dynamic dining menu's remained the same for the entire trip, although the menu's are different in each of the "no fee" restaurants. Please note that the number of items in each section, e.g. appetizers, entrees, desserts, are fewer in number and are mostly "Avant guard items", e.g. flatbread pizzas for 1st course, than usual in a main DR. There are few salads and fewer soups no matter where you go. With fewer menu items, there are seemingly fewer choices when you return to a restaurant unless you repeat your favorites. Dinner menu in American Icon is the same as lunch menu with two additional items in each category (American Icon is only no fee restaurant open al lunch except for Coastal Kitchen, reserved for Pinnacles and Suites).

Hmm...this was sort of my first impression - so I guess there are more limitations than maybe what we were hoping for. Thanks for the info!

Well that may work for you, but personally I am allergic to all fish except for salmon. The new menus in three free Oasis restaurants look to be very fish heavy. So cut all those choices for me. I also cannot eat cheese or eggs. Again, a bunch of entreees that I cannot eat. So yes, I too am very concerned that there appears to be only one or two items in each restaurant that I can order. I really don't want to be eating the same thing over and over again.

Yes, my husband has same issues -- though he can *probably* get away some seafood, he's been in the ER one too many times to take chances with seafood. So I was hoping since the MDR was being eliminated that they might offer some variation but it doesn't appear so. I guess I'll have to do some creative thinking ahead of time.

Then, as has been the case with the traditional MDR, and is the case with other dietary restrictions, you go to the maitre'd and chef and tell them that and they'll come up with alternatives.

BTW, there seems to be at least one salmon dish in every venue.