For anyone on The Riviera

Caroldoll

Forgive the ignorance as we have only been on a handful of cruises but I see this question often on other cruise line forums too.

My question is, what difference does it make who the Officers on board are? I mean, the interaction by them is what is forced upon them by the cruise line. They smile and are courteous to everyone.

If I had a question of who is on board, it would be more directed to the non coms on board. How was the service, for your cabin as well as at meal times and around the ship. The folks you interact with regularly. :)

If there are important or other reasons, please enlighten me :)

Edited by pete_coach

Forgive the ignorance as we have only been on a handful of cruises but I see this question often on other cruise line forums too.

My question is, what difference does it make who the Officers on board are? I mean, the interaction by them is what is forced upon them by the cruise line. They smile and are courteous to everyone.

If I had a question of who is on board, it would be more directed to the non coms on board. How was the service, for your cabin as well as at meal times and around the ship. The folks you interact with regularly. :)

If there are important or other reasons, please enlighten me :)

Forgive me but your question does show that you are a "newbie" cruiser :D

It is a very legitimate question and the answers really matter to the Oceania (and other lines) loyalists. They know the CDs, GMs and have their favorites.

Undeniably, all CDs have a personality of their own and the regulars have their favorites. Of course, it is an individual preference - a CD idolized by one cruiser can be detested by another. They usually host trivia and their styles vary quite a bit. Thus, trivia fans want to know who the CD is. The GMs set the tone on the ship for the staff and the passengers - and so on and so on :D

Many frequent cruisers know the CDs & GMs very well (and v.v) and they look forward to cruising with each other again (just like cruising with other frequent cruisers that they have met on prior voyages) - it's a little bit like seeing "old friends".

Does this make sense to you?

Edited by Paulchili

That is it exactly. We have known him for years, before he was at this level. On this particular cruise we will also have our grown (in their 50s) boys and their wives. We would like to introduce them to him. We do not accept invitations from officers, so this is not a fishing expedition. Merely a friendship.

Forgive me but your question does show that you are a "newbie" cruiser :D

It is a very legitimate question and the answers really matter to the Oceania (and other lines) loyalists. They know the CDs, GMs and have their favorites.

Undeniably, all CDs have a personality of their own and the regulars have their favorites. Of course, it is an individual preference - a CD idolized by one cruiser can be detested by another. They usually host trivia and their styles vary quite a bit. Thus, trivia fans want to know who the CD is. The GMs set the tone on the ship for the staff and the passengers - and so on and so on :D

Many frequent cruisers know the CDs & GMs very well (and v.v) and they look forward to cruising with each other again (just like cruising with other frequent cruisers that they have met on prior voyages) - it's a little bit like seeing "old friends".

Does this make sense to you?

Fair enough. Thanks. It was just interesting to me that it is important to know who is operating the ship. I mean, cruise ships, and crew get 1000 to 5000 new passengers a week, I guess for some passengers it is like following their favorite entertainer.

Fair enough. Thanks. It was just interesting to me that it is important to know who is operating the ship. I mean, cruise ships, and crew get 1000 to 5000 new passengers a week, I guess for some passengers it is like following their favorite entertainer.

After being on 28 Oceania cruises its like coming home when I get on any of the ships and my friends working on board welcome me

Jancruz1

After being on 28 Oceania cruises its like coming home when I get on any of the ships and my friends working on board welcome me

Jancruz1

I have been on 17 O cruises, and it is very heart-warming to be greeted with a big smile and hug upon returning on any of the ships. I agree, like coming home.