Remembering Pearl Harbor!

Cruzer Two

Mahalo for sharing the info about this video of "a date that will live in infamy".

I will forever remember my first glimpse of Hawaii from the flight deck of the USS Midway arriving in Pearl Harbor at dawn circling Ford Island nearly 30 years after the attack. The Arizona's gift center sells folded flags that flew (if only briefly) over the Arizona Memorial which I purchased & is kept in a flag display case.

Mahalo for sharing the info about this video of "a date that will live in infamy".

I will forever remember my first glimpse of Hawaii from the flight deck of the USS Midway arriving in Pearl Harbor at dawn circling Ford Island nearly 30 years after the attack. The Arizona's gift center sells folded flags that flew (if only briefly) over the Arizona Memorial which I purchased & is kept in a flag display case.

Thanks for the comments and THANKS FOR YOUR SERVICE!

The Arizona Memorial is a very special place.

Ron

Have you visited the USS Midway in San Diago?

Thanks for the comments and THANKS FOR YOUR SERVICE!

The Arizona Memorial is a very special place.

Ron

It was an honor & PH has the Arizona representing America's beginning of WWII next to the Missouri where it ended with the Japanese surrender in Tokyo Bay.

Have you visited the USS Midway in San Diago?

I visited the Midway a couple of years ago & thankfully she became a museum and not like the Oriskany (CV-34) which is now an underwater dive site in Florida. ;) It was good to revist the starboard cat where I hooked up aircraft & had my only cat shot in a C-1 (cargo version similar to a S-2 ASW version) which I saw in your wonderful video...how talented! :)

The Midway was built on a battleship keel & was the 1st steel deck carrier. After the war they decided to try to launch a seized German V-2 rocket...the kind that had a tendency to explode. Fortunately it was successful which was the 1st missile launch from a ship...lots of history.

Whenever someone posts about rough sea conditions I share my experience on the Midway on the fringe of a typhoon with water coming onto the forward section of the flight deck. :eek:

Edited by Astro Flyer

We did a week pre cruise in Hawaii and the first place we visited, after arriving, was Pearl Harbor. I, myself, am a Viet Nam vet and a real history buff. I have a personal friend who was a crew member on the Missouri when the Japanese surrendered (one of only 5 original crew members still alive), so visiting Pearl harbor was very important to me.

We did get to visit the USS Wisconsin which is in Newport, Virginia, the sister ship of the Missouri. Tell you what, just standing under those 'big guns' really gets one going. I remember on touring the Wisconsin, the sailor told us those guns took 15 seconds to rotate to firing position and could hit, point blank, a target 26 miles away. and the size of those shells. Simply amazing.

Cheers

Len

We did a week pre cruise in Hawaii and the first place we visited, after arriving, was Pearl Harbor. I, myself, am a Viet Nam vet and a real history buff. I have a personal friend who was a crew member on the Missouri when the Japanese surrendered (one of only 5 original crew members still alive), so visiting Pearl harbor was very important to me.

We did get to visit the USS Wisconsin which is in Newport, Virginia, the sister ship of the Missouri. Tell you what, just standing under those 'big guns' really gets one going. I remember on touring the Wisconsin, the sailor told us those guns took 15 seconds to rotate to firing position and could hit, point blank, a target 26 miles away. and the size of those shells. Simply amazing.

Cheers

Len

If you're a history buff like me, have you read historian Gordon Prange's "At Dawn We Slept" about the attack on PH. Or historian Gavan Daws "Shoal of Time" about the history of Hawaii.

If you're ever at the Port of LA (San Pedro) the USS Iowa (Missouri's sister ship) is now there to tour. One distinction they promote is that it has a bathtub for FDR's WWII trip to the Tehran Conference to meet with Churchill & Stalin.

Senator & former POW John McCain's grandfather was an admiral & is in the surrender photo only days before he died.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Just found your post. What drew me to the title was that the 75th Anniversary is in 2 days. Thank you for posting this and thank you for your service.

I watched the 75th Anniversary memorial service on TV & it was an honor to serve for a couple of years in the USN.

Everyone should visit Pearl Harbor once. It's easy to access from the cruise terminal in Honolulu and is certainly eye-opening.

http://oahuhawaii.ca/pearlharbor/index.html

Pearl Harbor is easily accessible by cab (about $35) or as we did taking their great public transportation system The Bus ($2.50-adults; $1-seniors). For a small fee it's now possible to pre-reserve a tender time to the Arizona Memorial.

https://www.nps.gov/valr/planyourvisit/fees.htm

https://www.recreation.gov/showPage.do?name=landing&landing=/htm/pearlharbor/home.jsp&contractCode=NRSO&parkId=72369

http://www.thebus.org

• 3 weeks later...

Just back from our second visit to Hawaii - our first being 33 years ago. This time we brought our grown children with us. DH and I had visited Pearl Harbor 33 years ago, and thought our kids needed a bit of a history lesson, which is so lacking in schools these days. We happened to be there at 7:50 am- the time of the attack. They began playing the Star Spangled Banner. Everyone at stopped/stood/up/saluted/put their hands over their hearts. It was an incredibly touching moment, and was the best history lesson we could have taught our children.

Edited by pe4all