Drinks in SJ?

MarinaDCA

Hello all! Our cruise is docking in SJ from 3:30 - 11pm so we really won't be able to do many of the regular excursions.

I was thinking that perhaps we'd have dinner on the ship at usually and then venture into SJ during the evening for a drink or two.

Is that a stupid idea? Is there anywhere reasonably close to the port that anyone recommends?

Thanks for any ideas :)

Hello all! Our cruise is docking in SJ from 3:30 - 11pm so we really won't be able to do many of the regular excursions.

I was thinking that perhaps we'd have dinner on the ship at usually and then venture into SJ during the evening for a drink or two.

Is that a stupid idea? Is there anywhere reasonably close to the port that anyone recommends?

Thanks for any ideas :)

Not stupid at all! Stinger-PR always recommends The Mezzanine for drinks. I had really wanted to get there in May, but my plans fell through. There is a website for it - looked really interesting with quality cocktails.

I did an early evening at The Parrot Club. I had two very nice classic mojitos there. Nothing foo-foo, but I don't care for foo-foo. If you like foo-foo, they had foo-foo, too ;) If you get squeezed for time and still just want a drink AND you don't mind hanging with people whose sole purpose is to get sloppy drunk, there is Señor Frogs right next to the Sheraton Old San Juan at the piers...

Another vote for the Parrot Club....not only for drinks but I would much rather eat there than on the ship given the choice ;)

As far as Senor Frogs...I would avoid it...wish we would have (but it was our first night and it was late) during our pre-cruise stay at the Sheraton Old San Juan.

Edited by Ashland

Another vote for the Parrot Club....not only for drinks but I would much rather eat there than on the ship given the choice ;)

As far as Senor Frogs...I would avoid it...wish we would have (but it was our first night and it was late) during our pre-cruise stay at the Sheraton Old San Juan.

I avoid Señor Frogs anywhere like the plague. But, like I said, if someone is short of time and doesn't mind all the sloppy drunks in the place. Just walking past it going to/from the Sheraton was enough to make sure I kept my distance!!!

Never understood people who take cruises and spend their shore time in places like this...

Add me to the list of those that frequent The Parrot Club whenever I can.

For me, they make the best Mojito's (had 4 last time because my wife didn't want hers - and yes, I did find my way back to the ship). They also have a very good food menu. The missus always gets the Cubano and I get some sort of caribbean cheesesteak sandwich (can't remember the name).

Going back to San Juan in January and plan on spending some time at The Parrot Club again (WITHOUT FAIL!)

Edited by Mango Mike

Why not have dinner in San Juan rather than the ship. Thereis some very good food in OSJ. We have dined there many times and had some terrrific meals. When we have a late sail away we always leave the ship for dinner. Drinks at B arrachina, Dragon fly, Parrot Club, Aquaviai,

They are all a short walk from the ship..

Edited by sail7seas

Thank you for the suggestions, I love a good mojito so the Parrot Club may be the place.

The reason I planned to have dinner on the ship was that we were purchasing the specialty dining package and I hate the thought of wasting the money :)

The food to be found in SJ is most likely amazing!

Old San Juan is filled with places to eat and/or drink. The ones mentioned like Barrachina, Dragon Fly, Parrot Club, Aquaviva and the Mezzanine are good but there are also some more laid-back, casual, quaint and maybe even cheaper options along San Sebastian street. If you're into it, OSJ is great for bar hopping.

Thank you for the suggestions, I love a good mojito so the Parrot Club may be the place.

The reason I planned to have dinner on the ship was that we were purchasing the specialty dining package and I hate the thought of wasting the money :)

The food to be found in SJ is most likely amazing!

If a good mojito is what you like then you need to stop by Carli's. Small bar area but the making of the mojito is like an art form. Never had a better one. They have live music most night I think and an outdoor patio area if you want to sit outside. http://www.carlisworld.com/restaurant/

If a good mojito is what you like then you need to stop by Carli's. Small bar area but the making of the mojito is like an art form. Never had a better one. They have live music most night I think and an outdoor patio area if you want to sit outside. http://www.carlisworld.com/restaurant/

That sounds so tasty!

Are these places, like the above and Parrot club walkable from the ship?

Add me to the list of those that frequent The Parrot Club whenever I can.

For me, they make the best Mojito's (had 4 last time because my wife didn't want hers - and yes, I did find my way back to the ship). They also have a very good food menu. The missus always gets the Cubano and I get some sort of caribbean cheesesteak sandwich (can't remember the name).

Going back to San Juan in January and plan on spending some time at The Parrot Club again (WITHOUT FAIL!)

Yes the Mojito's are amazing....I also tried the Coconut Mojito and the Parrot Passion..yummy and the Nacho's :p:p:p

Carli's looks like my type of place. Love a good mojito.

However, DW likes pina coladas. And I don't see them on the web menu. Nor at the parrot Club. Might be able to talk her into a ozjazzm (?) ice cream or parrot Passion though.

We've been to Barrachina's in the past and were thinking of stopping there again. But how are the ones at Caribe Hilton in comparison?

We're going to have an overnight in OSJ next November (a weekday night). I've read so many good things about the Parrot Club that I think we'll probably have dinner there. Are reservations necessary?

And how is their mofongo? We've only had mofongo once, at Raices last winter, and thought it was awesome.

Thanks for any info.

We're going to have an overnight in OSJ next November (a weekday night). I've read so many good things about the Parrot Club that I think we'll probably have dinner there. Are reservations necessary?

And how is their mofongo? We've only had mofongo once, at Raices last winter, and thought it was awesome.

Thanks for any info.

You can make reservations via Open Table for The Parrot Club. Better to make them then not to - you never know how busy it will be. I was there in the early evening and it was filling as I was leaving.

Did not have their mofongo, but I had the small plate of their Vianda Nachos with Ropa Vieja. Oh my!!! Root veggie chips instead of tortilla chips, just enough of everything else and I did forego my red meat "ban" and eat the excellent ropa vieja that was scooped in two piles on the sides of the chips. There was so much on that plate that I was full and had NO room for anything else!!!

On the drink side: If you want to venture out from the mojito or the foo-foo drinks, try a glass of really good PR rum, straight up. Don Q Gran Anejo is one to try, but it won't be inexpensive!!! I actually bought a bottle of it at duty free at the airport to bring home. Nothing like sipping a nice rum out of a snifter ;)