St thomas Magens Bay/Mountain Top

JanDom

Hi,

we will be in St Thomas with the Eurodam in December.

I am not sure on which port we will stop but need some help.

We will be a party of four adults. My parents will visit St Thomas for the first time.

We thought of going to Magens Bay first for one or two hours. After all groups will arrive there and it will get crowded we want to go to Mountain Top and have the great view over the bay.

After that maybe going back to the ship or doing something else ?

We have been there only one time and only know Magens Bay and Mountain Top.

How much will it be to hire a taxi for the whole time or does anybody has an advice for us ?

Thank you and greets from Germany

Janine

You can check on trip advisors to see what else there is or you can ask the taxi driver how much they would charge to take you around the island. Magen's bay is nice and if it's their first time you can go but there are other beaches they are closer to the ship. Magen's you pay an entrance fee. You pay for chairs and usually a more expensive cab ride to get there.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

You are scheduled to dock at Havensight which is great, and there are 2 - 4 other ships scheduled to be in port with you. So not a huge ship day, but some beaches like Magens and Coki will be crowded. You have a few options for transportation including just grabbing a taxi between each spot, hiring a private driver for your day, or just taking one of the "cookie cutter" tours like Godfrey or Sonny Liston that include a couple hours at Magens, Mountaintop, and the overlook on Skyline Drive.

Taxis for up to 4 ppl have an hourly rate of $40pp, and sightseeing tours are offered at $50 for the first person and $25 for each additional person, you would generally share this with others. Other private tours have similar rates to the taxi sightseeing tours but you're not part of a larger group or stuck to a specific itinerary which is nicer.

We've enjoyed a private tour with Stanley Coran - (340-690-4544), and many others have recommend Dean's Taxi & Tours - http://www.deanstaxiandtours.com/. Prices are quite reasonable for a nice day with your own driver, and you'll be treated to some of the less touristy spots because you're not tied to a cookie cutter tour.

Since you've been to Magens before I would suggest enjoying another less crowded beach like Sapphire. Gorgeous beach with more character that is home to condo properties and a quieter vibe that that's your choice. Or For a livelier vibe either Coki or Secret Harbor. All of these are also good snorkeling beaches if anyone is interested. With a private tour you can even visit one of the harder to reach beaches by normal taxi like Hull Bay. Mountaintop doesn't have the same charm the original had but it does afford a very nice view of the north side. You can skip MT and get a similar view of Magens Bay from Drake's Seat, especially with a private tour. Paradise Point is another spot to enjoy a drink and a great view of the harbors. If you are dropped there you can take the aerial tram down and walk back to the ship.

Enjoy your day, hopefully you're able to experience other areas of STT that you haven't already visited! Here's a map that you can reference and a link to the Sapphire Beach webcam and drone video -

http://www.virginislandsthisweek.com/st-thomas/maps/st-thomas-island-road-map.html

http://www.sapphireinthesun.com

Edited by blue_water
added links

Does anybody know "Secret Harbour Beach"?

Can you recommend it?

Thanks

Janine and happy thanksgiving

Of course - check the beautiful beaches of STT thread and others. Secret Harbour condo property and a good restaurant are in Secret Harbor along with other properties.

SH is a smaller bay that is more protected and you rent lounges and umbrellas through AA Divers. Day visitors are "assigned" a section with litle to no shade so you will want to get there to be sure to get umbrellas. Good restaurant on the beach and a bit livelier than Sapphire because it's more compact.

SH is our 4th favorite beach on STT, on a busier ship day our 3rd favorite because Coki is too busy.

Edited by blue_water

I now read a lot here and have some more questions:

I asked some tour operateros about their quotes.

I got rates between 180 and 550 $ for the four of us.

Will looking for a taxi after arriving in port be cheaper then

booking in advance?

If we use the transfers to Magen's Bay it will be 8-9$ per Person per way + mountain top...

Thank you and greets from cold Germany

Janine

The tour operators may have been giving you quotes for a private tour with number of hours varying. The quote may also have included entry fee to Magens.

Taxi should be no more than $10 per person each way. Entry fee to Magens is $5. You will probably be sharing taxi with others and some taxis can hold up to 25 people depending on type of vehicle.

What I like about Magens is the arboretum (sp?), the educational children's area, and the hiking trail. I have seen turtles and fish in the water but not as many as at other beaches. Magens is also more predictably calm because it's protected.

If you're visiting for a few days, you can easily try more than one beach. If you're on a cruise, you may want to choose based on consistent conditions. Your chances of calm water are better if you check an online map that shows which beaches are open to the ocean and which are protected.

Taxis almost always include Mountain Top in their tour, but seldom do taxis take people there and back. It's part of every tour.

Does the $45 include Magens entry? What all does it include?

Well, darn! We were hoping to take a taxi on our own from the ship to Mountain Top (and/or St. Peter's Great House). We are not really beach people and didn't want to be on a tour. Just looking for something different to do on our own. But, sounds like that may not be possible?

Metrarie, so you only want to go to Mountain Top? How many people in your group?

I have only heard of land based visitors doing a Mountain Top exclusive visit. They sometimes go there to shop instead of going to town.