jewelry shopping

Cruzin-K

I'm going to be cruising to nine different ports in December and from what I've read, it seems that one of the best for shopping is St. Maarten. However, after reading several posts on this site, I am now scared to death that I will be ripped off, cheated, swindled, taken for a ride, etc. I really want to find some nice jewelry, tanzanite and maybe emeralds but don't know which stores are reputable. From what I've seen on these boards, the shops that the cruise ship recommends are either overpriced because they're giving a kickback to the cruise line for recommending them, or they are the only place you should shop because the cruise line will stand behind the sale and help you fix any problems. Well, which is it? Am I asking for trouble if I shop at a non-recommended store? Does anyone have names of stores you have shopped in and felt like you got a great deal on jewelry? Is there better shopping in St. Barts, St. Kitts, St. Lucia, Grenada, Barbados, Curacao, or Aruba?

Without doubt, St. Maarten has the very lowest prices in the Caribbean. As a matter of fact, merchants from many other Caribbean islands purchase goods in St. Maarten for resale on their home island.

I've made significant jewelry purchases in St. Maarten over a 10 year period. I have been extremely satisfied with Touch of Gold on Front Street. Ask for Heeru (the store owner) or Sanjay.

Agree completely with kal, but have to put in a shout for our favorite shop; Shiva/Trident on Front Street, (and also in Aruba), who have the distinction of being one of only two Caribbean members of the Leading Jewelers of the World organization.

There is one member in St. Thomas, Magnum Jewelers, and then the Alwani Family's Shiva's/Trident stores in St. Maarten and Aruba.

All regular SXM visitors will have their favorite jewelers.

We've been visiting St. Maarten since 1981, and dealing with the Alwani family, which owns both Shiva's and Trident, across from each other on Front Street, for nearly 14 years. We really appreciate their attention, the selection and the great prices. They really specialize in upscale pieces and larger diamonds, but have a great overall selection.

Your best tool is education. Learn about diamonds and other jewels for what makes a quality stone or setting. Run down to your local jeweler before you leave and look at the items that you may be interested in buying. Learn all that you can about the pieces. Check what their price is with the 50% off and the "we pay the sales tax" sales. Remember, no sales tax down island -- that by itself would save well over $100 on a $1500 purchase here in California.

When you get to SXM, visit the shops and price the items you checked out at home. Compare prices along Front Street, the service from the various shops, and how comfortable you feel with the sales staff.

For us this means buying from Shiva's or Trident. If you go, be sure to ask for Gary and Mary Ann's special discount. Work with any of their crew, but ask if Ajay, Varkha or Raj are available for special treatment.

Also, we often work with Shiva's via e-mail to purchase jewelry for friends here. In the past several years we've facilitated several rings, several diamond tennis bracelets, a couple of diamond pendants and numerous sets of earrings.

GTaylor -

Do Tell - What this you say about 50% off and no sales tax. Please tell all!

I was just making an example of some of the advertising that jewelry stores here in the States use to get you in. I believe that even with such sales promotions, it is possible to get better prices in St. Maarten.

But my true intent is to push the 'education' idea. YOU have to know what you're looking for and what it might cost at home to be an educated consumer and determine if you're getting a good deal in St. Maarten.

Also, there is no sales tax there.

I can also concur with Kal. Have done business with Touch of Gold for over 15 yrs now and have always been completely satisfied. Last trip there in May had my friend along who manages a jewelry store here in the States, and she bought several pieces of tanzanite there because it was a better quality and less expensive than she could get at "cost" or at the jewelry shows. My suggestion is to look around and price at several places before making a purchase.They are very willing to deal here and you can get some great buys!!

CruisinQueen, Is Touch of Gold a good place to look for a black coral bracelet or ring or are the prices better in St Thomas? We will be going to both next year. Last year I looked in Jamaica & Grand Cayman but didn't see anything special. Thanks! Susan

CruisinQueen, Is Touch of Gold a good place to look for a black coral bracelet or ring or are the prices better in St Thomas?

I suggest you send a message to Heeru (owner of Touch of Gold) at this address. I'm sure she will help you out.

BTW, prices in St. Maarten are MUCH lower than in St. Thomas.

I've bought several 14 K gold bracelets at Joe's Jewelers and Have been very satisfied with them. I guess we all have our favorite store in St. Martin. I really don't think you'll be disappointed.

I bought a beautiful bracelet at Joe's jewelers. They were wonderful to deal with, I got a full appraisal from them and tomorrow I am having it appraised here so can let you know for sure then, but they are one of the cruise lines approved jewelers, you should be fine if you stick with them.

Wendy

...they are one of the cruise lines approved jewelers, you should be fine if you stick with them.

Just remember, any of the "approved" merchants provide a kick-back to the cruiseline. On that basis alone, the prices are higher.

• 2 weeks later...
I bought a beautiful bracelet at Joe's jewelers. They were wonderful to deal with, I got a full appraisal from them and tomorrow I am having it appraised here so can let you know for sure then, but they are one of the cruise lines approved jewelers, you should be fine if you stick with them.

Wendy

I did not come back sooner as I had to post pone my appt with the appraiser. Went today and the bracelet was appraised for 33 1/3 % more then what we paid, we are very pleased with Joe's.

Just remember, any of the "approved" merchants provide a kick-back to the cruiseline. On that basis alone, the prices are higher.
My understanding is that the upfront fee to be an 'approved' jewelry shop for a cruiseline is on the order of $100,000, and then they collect an additional commission of approximately 10% on any identified sales.

I hadn't heard the exact figures, but WOW!

When a merchant asks that question "Are you on a cruise ship?", it's not idle chit-chat, but rather they need to know who get's the commission. I always say NO, and it often results in a nice additional discount on the purchase.

St Maarten

I purchased from Venetian Jewelers at 54 Front Street. I bought a Tanzanite & Diamond ring and paid $1925.00. When I got back to the States I had it appraised and it came back at $3200.00.

Also in St Maarten - Helena Jewelers at 30 Front Street I bought a 6.06 ct diamond tennis bracelet for $1800.00. It appraised in the States at $4900.00.

St Thomas

Shamrock Jewelers bought a Emerald and Diamond ring for $1800.00 and it appraised in the States for $3270.00.

Also in St Thomas - Cardow Jewelers, I purchased a Ruby and Diamond ring for $1400.00 and it appraised in the States for $2500.00.

• 4 weeks later...

DEFINATELY go to J Best Jewelers located on Front Street ...

Jay's relatives own Liberty Jewelers in St. THomas, which we have purchased many items from and have been DELIGHTED to say the least with pricing and quality. What amazes us the most, however, is the wonderful hospitality of Jay. Now that he has a St. Martin location, makes it all the more wonderful. If you do nothing else, be sure to at least visit and look around. No pressure, great hospitality, and a sincerity about the owner toward his customer that is typically hard to find in a tourist environment, if not impossible. One stop and you will see what I mean!

Steve from Michigan

I too have shopped at Touch of Gold and bought a diamond stud necklace 8 years ago. Have been very satisfied. Am returning to St. Maartin in Feb. and intend of re-visiting Touch of Gold for either a tennis bracelet or white gold diamond ring.

Tweek.

• 10 months later...

This responds to the inquiry about jewelry shopping at Carribbean ports. I recommend without hesitation Shiva's Gems and Jewerlry in Aruba. It is in the Royal Plaza shopping center - walking distance from the ports. It is family-run, by the Alwani family. You can see Kelly or anyone of his relatives and you will be well-served. Friends and I have purchased there for 15 years - from under $100 - 100 times that (well, not me). My point is, they will work with you whatever your price range. They will find something that you like and can afford whether you are on a millionaire's budget or a stuggling student budget. My pieces have ALWAYS appraised much higher than what I paid. They also have a store in St. Marten. They will dip yellow to white gold and vice-verse. They will size your pieces, ship to you at home or have it ready in a few hours - never more than a day. They are trustworthy and honest. I say this without any reservation - this family works from referrals and by reputation. If you go there once - they will remember you forever. Also, if you decide you don't want a piece - you can trade it up - - anytime. I am in the metro-DC area - and I only purchase from Shiva's - - even from home. Understand that I am not a big spender at all - but I know that I am getting a good deal with my limited resources. Enjoy your trip.