Bit of a blog - Radiance of the Seas – Alaska Cruisetour – July/August 2010

ALERT : THE CRUISE TOUR ITSELF STARTS A FEW ENTRIES DOWN. FEEL FREE TO SKIP THE PREAMBLE ;)

By the time you get to read this we will have been in the US a few days already.

To introduce ourselves : I am approaching 60, not as active as I used to be with a dodgy hip but loaded with enthusiasm. DH is mid 40s and a zealous amateur photographer. He’s packing a Canon 50D with assorted lenses. It’s unlikely that I’ll be able to post any of his pics here as he will want to spend time picking out the best. Will link to them when we are back home in London, UK. Any pics I get to post here will be from my mobile phone.... it’s small, compact and multifunctional.

Please join us on our journey. I hope to post daily (well a girl can dream) and will be happy to answer questions along the way.

I have to thank the Cruise Critic Alaska board for being an incredible source of information and support during the planning stages. There are stalwarts there whose love of the state ooze through every post they make. I’ve never known anything like it.

July 28 – Fly to Seattle. Stayed 2 nights at Red Lion Hotel on 5th Avenue. We booked the flights with BA independently so as to make use of accumulated Air Miles.

July 30th – Fly to Fairbanks. Stay at the same hotel (Sophie Station) the night before the cruise tour starts. No transfers provided as we’re arriving a day early. Hotel has a shuttle.

2730185310106584560S600x600Q85.jpg

2602297970106584560S600x600Q85.jpg

On the 6th we will be leaving the land tour first thing in the morning and making our own way to Seward on the train to take an excursion there prior to boarding.

If you want to catch us on a port webcam here are some links (it would be really cool if you grabbed an image of the ship in port on the day and popped it on here…. Our roll call has been inundated with my pics recently of here is Radiance… and there is Radiance):

Seward 6th August http://www.majormarine.com/webcam/

Juneau 8th August http://www.juneau.org/cam/southcam.php

Skagway 9th August http://www.wpyr.com/explore/webcam.html

Ketchikan 11th August http://www.earthcam.com/usa/alaska/ketchikan/

Vancouver 13th August http://www.vancouver.com/webcam-display/35_vancouvercom-north/

We’ve excursions booked independently during the cruise part. I plan to see how my energy levels are as to whether we pick up any extra excursions on the land tour.

We left out of terminal 5 at Heathrow. Really glad I pre ordered a wheelchair (I’m due a hip replacement). I had already upgraded to Business Class and grateful for it… I lay down pretty much most of the 9 hour + flight. Excellent service as ever. Slept for maybe 1 hour. Met at Seattle with a wheelchair at the plane door and assisted all the way to the cab area. Had to pay $4 for a luggage trolley and got .25 back on its return. Just as well I had coins over from a previous US visit. $42 to downtown with a driver who chose to ignore my cane and who complained that I didn’t get in the cab quick enough or out quick enough. Nice welcome!

Red Lion Hotel : it’s ok. Nice enough neighbourhood. What possessed me to reserve a room in an English style hotel heaven knows. I can’t remember. Maybe the price. Well situated. We walked down to Pike Market in the evening to get the lay of the land. Wandered around Walgreens looking for 30% Deet (mosquito repellant). Could only find 25% which is what I left at home!

Channel hopped the TV to try and stay awake as long as possible. The selection is dire. Game shows with scantily clad blondes and reality TV. We could be at home! Lol.

We were up and out before Seattle and the sun. We head off to the Space Needle on the Monorail and then decided not to go up as it was overcast. We went shopping instead! Oh my goodness. The REI store should be on every tourist’s list of must sees. I was like a kid in a candy store. It’s a phenomenal outdoor activities store in the most incredible rain forest type setting with a stock so vast and varied it took my breath away. Back to the hotel to drop our goodies off (well 30% deet spray and bite treatment stick and a pair of those water repelling trousers with zips to turn them into shorts) then back to the Space Needle via Pikes Place Market (very bizarre behaviour by tourists standing in front of fish stand taking pictures of the men selling fish…. Not quite sure what that’s about – I mean to say….. men selling fish… ok the variety of fish was awesome and some of the men quite cute…. But still…. You couldn’t move for the crowds!) to be met by the sun in full throttle.

Took the lift up the Needle and admired the view. Stunning. Darran did a circuit with one lens and then another circuit with another lens. I was happy chilling watching the views and watching the people watching the views.

We popped into the Sci Fi museum and reminisced and wondered at the display of memorabilia. That bear from A.I…… and Robbie the Robot amongst others…. Then we popped next door to the Experience Music Project. Great fun and hands on for adults and children alike.

Seattle airport…. what a shambles. Paid $2 to have our bags checked kerb side but the support for a wheelchair was nonexistent. Was sent from pillar to post then gave up and hobbled through security. They were very sweet with me there as I couldn’t bend down to get my trainers off, Swabs of my hands set off their alarm bells. ‘Have you used lotion on your hands Ma’am?’ ‘Well I have washed them today….’ Made it to the Alaskan Airways Boardroom for 1st Class passengers and took a few deep breaths. Not on a par at all with Business Class BA but it was quieter (ok I’m a snob….. I’ve paid for this!). They arranged for a cart to pick us up to drive us to the plane.

Uneventful flight. Awesome crew. We were fed and provided with digi players with an assortment of movies and audio…. But seriously….. Jedward??!! Joe McElderry??!! In Alaska??!! Too too bizarre.

Wheelchair pickup from the plane. Lady pusher just left me with the chair and disappeared telling me to just leave it when I was done with it. Dame Tanni Grey-Thompson is now my hero. Hotel shuttle picked us up and we had the most amazing reception at the hotel…. The most attentive welcome ever. Fabulous equipped and serviced suite with kitchen, living room etc. Wonder if all the accommodation will be up to this standard as we progress through the State.

Air con in the room working over time. We are in a ground floor room and there is no way I will sleep with a window open. It’s hot! We ate in the hotel restaurant. Chowder!!! Awesome. Walked to the supermarket and back for water and shower gel. (I know there’s no shower gel provided on RCCL so why didn’t I bring mine from home? Shrug) There is an hourly shuttle from the hotel which we will make use of tomorrow.

Time of writing is 1015pm and it’s bright daylight outside!

As eggs benedict may not be on the Radiance breakfast menu I ordered that. Wonderful….with a huge portion of hash browns. Now I really can’t do potato at breakfast…. Came with a portion of orange and some melon, Very nice indeed.

Wish we had a car today. Spent way too much on cabs. Shuttles that are provided either do not exist on a Saturday or we are too early for them. University of Alaska absolutely amazing. Creamers Dairy….. waste of time as the bird observatory isn’t open on Saturdays but we didn’t find that out until Darran had walked way into the trail.

By the time we got back to the hotel lunch service had ended….as had room service. We got to talking to other people on the tour in the lobby…. They had ordered in. So we did too.

Have met our Tour director : Bryan. Met some more people on the cruise tour. We’re all set with instructions and itineraries. He is going to look into getting me a wheelchair….. just in case I should need it…. How sweet is that…

Linda, have a wonderful trip. Your cruisetour is quite similar to the one we did in June except that you have an additional overnight in Alyeska. Hope the land portion is as great as ours was. Let us know if Grande Denali Lodge has gotten its act together. That was the only disappointment we experienced at any of the stops along the way. I just received the DVD of our TWT from Aramark and was quite pleased with both the stock footage on it as well as about twenty minutes showing our actual bus excursion and all the wildlife that we saw on the tour. Maybe you'll get lucky and get the same great views of Denali that LindaO had and that we didn't see two weeks later.

Look forward to reading your reports as the tour progresses.

"We popped into the Sci Fi museum and reminisced and wondered at the display of memorabilia. That bear from A.I…… and Robbie the Robot amongst others…. Then we popped next door to the Experience Music Project. Great fun and hands on for adults and children alike".

Murphy wants to know if there was a Tardis or a blue police box at this museum?

So happy to follow you on another great cruise, my friend!

"We popped into the Sci Fi museum and reminisced and wondered at the display of memorabilia. That bear from A.I…… and Robbie the Robot amongst others…. Then we popped next door to the Experience Music Project. Great fun and hands on for adults and children alike".

Murphy wants to know if there was a Tardis or a blue police box at this museum?

So happy to follow you on another great cruise, my friend!

Hey :D

Tell him no unfortunately..... this was (largely) movie memorabilia..... then again Star trek.... lots of uniforms..... hmmm....

Linda, have a wonderful trip. Your cruisetour is quite similar to the one we did in June except that you have an additional overnight in Alyeska. Hope the land portion is as great as ours was. Let us know if Grande Denali Lodge has gotten its act together. That was the only disappointment we experienced at any of the stops along the way. I just received the DVD of our TWT from Aramark and was quite pleased with both the stock footage on it as well as about twenty minutes showing our actual bus excursion and all the wildlife that we saw on the tour. Maybe you'll get lucky and get the same great views of Denali that LindaO had and that we didn't see two weeks later.

Look forward to reading your reports as the tour progresses.

Thanks for the heads up on the DVD...... didn't know there would be one.... we have already been burnt with a 'Ship in Review' DVD previously.

Keep us posted and have a great cruise/trip! Jealous, Katherine

Thank you!!

NN - eagerly going to follow this one as we are going to 'do' Alaska in 2012 once the itineraries are out! We are also going to book BA Club (gotta love those airmiles) to Seattle and then fly to Anchorage and then were planning do our own thing going to Denali but will change our minds and do the whole trip if you say it is recommended.

Did you manage to get the AK flight on BA miles too?

I know so little about Alaska - I have rather naive imagies of bears just leaning against lamposts in Denali and Talkeetna so it will be wonderful to see it through another Brit's eyes to see what it is really like!

Bon voyage and keep it coming!

AR x

...Pikes Place Market (very bizarre behaviour by tourists standing in front of fish stand taking pictures of the men selling fish…. Not quite sure what that’s about – I mean to say….. men selling fish… ok the variety of fish was awesome and some of the men quite cute…. But still…. You couldn’t move for the crowds!)

Did you know the reason for the crowd taking pictures in Pike's Market was because they throw the fish around before wrapping it? That is the attraction there that draws the crowds for picture taking. :)

Yes, the fishmongers put on quite a show there tossing the big fish around. That was the reason for the crowds. It's one of the big attractions at Pike's Place Market!

Enjoying your "blog" and looking forward to future installments. Your land itinerary is very similar to the one we did 5 years ago. We had such a fantastic time! Looking forward to reliving it vicariously through you. :)

...I have rather naive imagies of bears just leaning against lamposts in Denali and Talkeetna...

:D

Well, we saw brown bears (a momma with 2 yearling cubs) in Denali National Park. They weren't leaning against lamp posts ;) but they did come within 50 yards of our bus. It was amazing!

We didn't see any bears in Talkeetna but we went to the West Rib Pub in town and there was a sign that said to check guns at the bar. We laughed about it but while we were there a local came in and placed his 50-caliber revolver on the bar right next to where I was sitting. I think my chin hit the bar. LOL! Of course, my DH, being a gun buff, went over the guy's table later and asked him about it. He carried it for protection against bears because of a narrow escape he had on a previous encounter with one.

NN and AR - you must check out this pub. It has a special brew on tap - Ice Axe Ale - 9.5% alcohol! :eek: It's actually pretty smooth considering the alcohol content. And it's the only place on earth you can get it. :cool:

:D

Well, we saw brown bears (a momma with 2 yearling cubs) in Denali National Park. They weren't leaning against lamp posts ;) but they did come within 50 yards of our bus. It was amazing!

We didn't see any bears in Talkeetna but we went to the West Rib Pub in town and there was a sign that said to check guns at the bar. We laughed about it but while we were there a local came in and placed his 50-caliber revolver on the bar right next to where I was sitting. I think my chin hit the bar. LOL! Of course, my DH, being a gun buff, went over the guy's table later and asked him about it. He carried it for protection against bears because of a narrow escape he had on a previous encounter with one.

NN and AR - you must check out this pub. It has a special brew on tap - Ice Axe Ale - 9.5% alcohol! :eek: It's actually pretty smooth considering the alcohol content. And it's the only place on earth you can get it. :cool:

We just did cruisetour 11 last month, so it's great to see another view on a similar itin. I second the West Rib-we had a great meal there too! I just tasted the Ice Ax, but loved the other local brews. Based on that, we booked dinner at the Glacier Brewhouse when we were in Anchorage and it was excellent. As far as the only place they serve Ice Ax is the West Rib...yes & no. From their menu- "Imperial Blond-High alcohol, slightly malty, creamy & smooth...A half pound of honey per gallon is used to attain this high yet seductive alcohol level. The Denali climbers in Talkeetna call this beer Ice Ax Ale. Make sure you're roped in!"

Not calling anyone a liar, but offering another place to sample this brew if you miss it in Talkeetna! Enjoy, & keep the blog coming!

Wow. So many views.... love reading your comments and suggestions. Will certainly bear them in mind.

Did you know the reason for the crowd taking pictures in Pike's Market was because they throw the fish around before wrapping it? That is the attraction there that draws the crowds for picture taking. :)

OK. Thanks. Flying fish ;) Get it. Lol

NN - eagerly going to follow this one as we are going to 'do' Alaska in 2012 once the itineraries are out! We are also going to book BA Club (gotta love those airmiles) to Seattle and then fly to Anchorage and then were planning do our own thing going to Denali but will change our minds and do the whole trip if you say it is recommended.

Did you manage to get the AK flight on BA miles too?

I know so little about Alaska - I have rather naive imagies of bears just leaning against lamposts in Denali and Talkeetna so it will be wonderful to see it through another Brit's eyes to see what it is really like!

Bon voyage and keep it coming!

AR x

We earnt BA points as Alaska Airlines is in the One World Alliance.

There are 3 full buses on this itinerary....150 of us altogether! Have come across 4 other Brits so far : a mother and son who live in Spain and a couple from Somerset.

What a day!

Early start. Breakfast chaotic. 150 people trying to get to the buffet around the same time. We never did get our coffee.

First stop…. The Alaska Pipeline. Quite something.

Second stop….. The Eldorado Gold Mine. Now I have to say I really enjoyed playing the tourist and I managed to pan $14 worth of gold! Darran achieved $10. Decided not to spend £30 to turn the haul into earrings! Bought a sweatshirt jacket Alaska souvenir for $25 which I thought was a bargain. Good quality. Love not having to pay tax here!

Lunch in downtown Fairbanks. Weather is now mid 80s. I start to fry. Whilst I’m covered in 30% DEET I’ve no Factor 30. Discovered the Husky Dog Sanctuary…. If we were at home we would have homed one, no question. Spent some time out of the sun in their gift shop watching a video on the amazing stories of the Fairbanks Yukon Quest : a 1000 mile race between Fairbanks and Whitehorse in Canada’s Yukon Territory.

In the afternoon we took a ride on the Paddle Steamer Riverboat Discovery III. I fell in love with a number of riverside properties. Loved the commentary. Doughnuts and coffee provided. We paused at the Husky training establishment run by the family of the late Iditarod Champion Sarah Butcher. Husky puppies are too cute. We were on the boat and they were on land giving us a demonstration of training. There was an hour stop at the Athabascan village but unfortunately I felt too unwell to debark :( Darran took some amazing pictures which I will share with you when he has processed them.

Really glad I didn’t prebook the Salmon Bake and Show this evening. I am exhausted. We could have jumped on the tour bus and paid at the show but instead I am here catching up with you guys and in need of a shower which is next.

I have also been catching up with my roll call. One of my new acquaintances there posted something. I have decided to share with you his post and my response.

Everybody Hurry Up! Saw seven moose today north of Fairbanks on a day trip to Chena Hot Springs.

Go Cats

Ooooooooooh. We saw ducks.

day 1 – August 2nd

1st ? Monday is Aug 2 :)

Have a blast on your trip....

Sigh. I'm a bear of little brain.

Here's the thing..... I have the NetBook on UK time so I can figure out if my DDs will be about..... so currently it IS the 2nd..... in the UK..... lol.

Will remember to set my mind to AK time in the future.

As far as the only place they serve Ice Ax is the West Rib...yes & no. From their menu- "Imperial Blond-High alcohol, slightly malty, creamy & smooth...A half pound of honey per gallon is used to attain this high yet seductive alcohol level. The Denali climbers in Talkeetna call this beer Ice Ax Ale. Make sure you're roped in!"

Not calling anyone a liar, but offering another place to sample this brew if you miss it in Talkeetna! Enjoy, & keep the blog coming!

Okay, I guess I'm missing it. Where else is this saying you can get it? :confused:

From the West Rib Pub website (and this is also what we were told by the bartender while we were there):

Ice Axe Ale - Glacier Brewhouse

Anchorage, Alaska, USA

Brewed exclusively for the West Rib Pub, this is a high-alcohol beer (9%), slightly malty, creamy and smooth drinking. Premium two row malt with flaked barley. Almost 10 pounds of Fireweed Honey is added per barrel for increased alcohol and aroma. Centennial hops are added to balance sweeter malt.

Archived