Bit of a blog - Radiance of the Seas – Alaska Cruisetour – July/August 2010

The natives don't like it when you call it Pike's ... It is Pike Market on Pike Street.

(FYI for future reference) :)

Noted. I'll bear that in mind ;)

Sorry to hear about the wheelchair situation at Seattle airport ... When I was there in May I was told by the lady pushing me around that she and her colleagues just found out they lost their jobs. Wheelchair attendants were paid employees (and they were not allowed to accept tips!) but they were going to be replaced by an outside company.

It's very sad. I used to enjoy Seattle airport because of the great service I received with getting a wheelchair ... now I guess it will be a lot different.

I have a wheelchair now. Bryan' date=' our tour director has given it to me to use.

My leg has suffered as a result of the trip yesterday on the bus :([/color']

NN - lovin' it!

Can you list what meals are included in each hotel etc, and what you have to pay for please?

Also how do you rate the hotels - which are nicer than others?

Is 'everything' you are doing and describing included in the landtourpackage or have you paid extra to deviate or do extra things? It appears that the landtour package is about an extra £1000pp on top of the cruise?

cheers

AR

Will do my best.

No meals are included at the hotels. Have to pay for breakfasts too.

The train transfers from Fairbanks - Denali - Talkeetna are included. Meals and drinks on board aren't. Lunch box on the Tundra Wilderness Tour was included.

The excursion we did today through RCCL today I paid extra for. More on that in today's blog.

Linda,

Great job! So where are you right now & how is the weather?:D

Dean:cool:

Thank you :)

Right now I am on my bed in the Talkeetna Alaskan Lodge. Weather sunny. Definitely cooler. We have a wheelchair accessible room in a block apart from everyone else on our coach. Others on the land tour in this block.

Enjoying taking the trip with you...in spirit at least! Hope you and Darran have a great time!

Donna! Hi :D

Everyone..... We met Donna on the roll call last year and we have been watching each other's adventures on Facebook ever since!

Linda

Great blog, really enjoying it.

I'm the one that mentioned dining opportunities. The reason is that I know that meals are extra on the land portion and I would like some insight on what is available, whether to just eat at the hotel or venture out, what the opportunities are for meals, etc.

Thanks.

Our tour director, Bryan, has given us recommendations for dining each day. In Fairbanks, Gambardella's, The Pump House and Chena's were mentioned. In Denali we were back way too late to venture into town and the hotel is high up on the mountain so not suitable to walk in. Here in Talkeetna he's recommended the hotel and the Wildflower in town as well as the Roadhouse in town for breakfast. To be honest I've forgotten the other places... there aren't many apparently.

I second this, WOW! Loving the blog. Thanks for making the effort.:)

M&S thanks ;)

Linda,

Thanks for the info, I just saw the itinerary you posted at the beginning, I missed it on my first go round. Our will be similar except in reverse and we will be doing the tour of the bay in Seward immediatly after leaving the ship, but we will also be going to Aleyska so I will be interested in seeing your review of that. Can't wait to see if you will be doing any of our planned excursions from the ship as well. The pictures of Mt. Mckinley are gorgeous. I was also excited to see your links to the port webcams as well. I saved them to my "favorites". Keep up the great work on your blog. I am fascinated! Enjoy your trip.

Thank you :)

Darran took the Mt McKinley pic..... he has many others and will spend a long time processing them. He is drip feeding me a few each day to either pop on here or Facebook.

We had an early start today so we were packed up and bags outside the door by 715am. Breakfast at the hotel was a buffet affair of the usual suspects. We've not been impressed with the hotel very much to be honest. I understand that they open for a short season but there are little touches missing on the customer care side which leave them wanting.

We had booked an optional excursion at a cost through RCCL : Husky Homestead at the home and training establishment of 4 time Iditarod winner Jeff King.

What a wonderful way to pass a couple of hours. There are 80 dogs in residence at the Homestead and as soon as we got down from the bus we were handed puppies, some as young as 2 weeks old. The puppies are encouraged to interact with humans from a very young age to enable them to interact in all kinds of environments at ease and without fear. We had a detailed account of their lives, training and development along with demonstrations of their prowess.

35943_10150239844335352_617355351_13937980_2815342_n.jpg

Jeff has raised a family in the mountains and his 18 year old daughter has already participated in the Iditarod. I am in awe of their fortitude. I had enough problems visiting DD2 in Iceland in -20F(-7C) let alone even contemplating being out in the wilds of Alaska in -40F (whatever that is in C) with 90 minutes sleep every 6 hours. The nearest school to their home is 20 miles away and the notion of a ‘snow day’ is unheard of in this world. Extraordinary individuals and a privilege to have been given a window into their world.

Back to the hotel then back on to the train for a 4 hour ride to Talkeetna.

35943_10150239844350352_617355351_13937982_4327869_n.jpg

Again there is a first come first served approach to the meal service and we opt to wait for lunch. Didn’t quite take into account just how long that would be. We didn’t get to sit down until 3pm; by then I was seriously calorie deprived and grumpy. I had ‘Aleutian’ salad which comprised of crab, shrimp and pasta with an Asian dressing. Really good though way too much on the plate! Darran and I shared a chocolate brownie dessert (with cream and ice cream). To apologise for the delay we are treated to a drink of choice so Darran had a bottle of Alaskan beer and I had a smoothie.

Am now at the Alaskan Lodge in Talkeetna. Bryan has presented me with a wheelchair and we have a wheelchair assist room. We’re novices at the wheelchair thing and haven’t figured out how to collapse it yet! Yesterday’s adventure into Denali on the bus has left me very sore indeed and I have needed pain relief throughout the day.

We’re hoping to venture into town on the hotel shuttle in the morning to experience breakfast there. I have been told of a shop that is devoted to Moose. I need something Moose-related! Our close encounter yesterday has left me enthralled!

Pics are courtesy of Darran.

So sorry to hear you are traveling in pain, that is rough! No one can appreciate or understand the difficulty of wheelchair manipulation, until you are in one! How are you managing on the train?

Tell Darran the photos are lovely!

Hope you got photos of you with the puppies! Remember the baby sloth?

Hope you get your moose fix. They are very impressive up close, trust me!

Delightful and entertaining trip report, great job!

We had an early start today so we were packed up and bags outside the door by 715am. Breakfast at the hotel was a buffet affair of the usual suspects. We've not been impressed with the hotel very much to be honest. I understand that they open for a short season but there are little touches missing on the customer care side which leave them wanting.

35943_10150239844335352_617355351_13937980_2815342_n.jpg

Back to the hotel then back on to the train for a 4 hour ride to Talkeetna.

35943_10150239844350352_617355351_13937982_4327869_n.jpg

Am now at the Alaskan Lodge in Talkeetna. Bryan has presented me with a wheelchair and we have a wheelchair assist room. We’re novices at the wheelchair thing and haven’t figured out how to collapse it yet! Yesterday’s adventure into Denali on the bus has left me very sore indeed and I have needed pain relief throughout the day.

We’re hoping to venture into town on the hotel shuttle in the morning to experience breakfast there. I have been told of a shop that is devoted to Moose. I need something Moose-related! Our close encounter yesterday has left me enthralled!

Pics are courtesy of Darran.

I'm sorry to read that service at the Grande Denali Lodge hasn't improved since we were there in June. I, too, attributed some of the problem to their only being open for business for a short period of time, until we got to Talkeetna Alaskan Lodge and saw how well run their operation is despite having the same operating season. Hope you have the same experience. Total day and night difference between Denali and Talkeetna.:)

so much for the wonderful adventure, so far. We will be on Radiance 8-13-10 to Alaska. We are so looking forward to it. Love all the details you have provided as it's like being there with you.

Thanks again and looking forward to reading more and more.l

Kathy

Food morning all...... ok...... I'm typing in the dark again.

Good morning all.

We ate dinner last night in the bistro here (there is another restaurant at the hotel which is more up market).

Wonderful. Excellent choice of food, I had a cup of crab bisque and a starter portion of crab and avocado cakes. I am learning to watch portion size. Seriously good. Darran had halibut and chips. I would have ordered beef ribs and mash but Sean, our server, described the portion size so I passed! They offered us a fine dining menu which looked really nice but I am watching menus.....saving up for that moose ;)! View from the window is spectacular. We have the car park from our room.

Forgot to say that we have been warned that bears have been sighted around the property!

We're living out of the suitcase; I'd love to jump in the shower (I would love to be able to show you how I mis typed that!) but I didn't plan ahead and take out the bag that has the shampoo and conditioner in (did I tell you that I had originally packed them loose and their push tops had opened a bit and spilt on the flight over?) Will wait for Darran to wake up so I can open the curtains!

Off to Anchorage later.

Have a good day everyone!

PS Darran pushed me in the chair up to the main block last night, we HAD been told that there is internal access but forgot. I had the urge to sing the theme song from Hawaii 5-0 using my cane as an oar. I apologise.

Food morning all...... ok...... I'm typing in the dark again.

Good morning all.

We ate dinner last night in the bistro here (there is another restaurant at the hotel which is more up market).

Wonderful. Excellent choice of food, I had a cup of crab bisque and a starter portion of crab and avocado cakes. I am learning to watch portion size. Seriously good. Darran had halibut and chips. I would have ordered beef ribs and mash but Sean, our server, described the portion size so I passed! They offered us a fine dining menu which looked really nice but I am watching menus.....saving up for that moose ;)! View from the window is spectacular. We have the car park from our room.

Forgot to say that we have been warned that bears have been sighted around the property!

We're living out of the suitcase; I'd love to jump in the shower (I would love to be able to show you how I mis typed that!) but I didn't plan ahead and take out the bag that has the shampoo and conditioner in (did I tell you that I had originally packed them loose and their push tops had opened a bit and spilt on the flight over?) Will wait for Darran to wake up so I can open the curtains!

Off to Anchorage later.

Have a good day everyone!

PS Darran pushed me in the chair up to the main block last night, we HAD been told that there is internal access but forgot. I had the urge to sing the theme song from Hawaii 5-0 using my cane as an oar. I apologise.

All the best Linda. Keep trucking!!!;);)

Dean

We are now in Anchorage.

So, this morning. It was raining. Unpacked the rain jackets which freed up loads of space in the suitcase and headed off into town for breakfast at the Roadhouse on the hotel shuttle. Dropped off around 920 and head down the main street. Lots of log cabins displaying touristy signs. Find the Roadhouse and it is packed. Bench seating in various rooms. Filled to the rafters. We hang out for about 10 minutes and give up (the food looked real good). Head back to the drop off place. The ‘Everything Moose’ shop is closed. There’s a store open selling food and beer. Outside are some locals with extremely long beards chewing tobacco or gum or something. I pop in to buy some bottles of water. I would have bought some fruit but the apples were mouldy……

We catch the bus back to the hotel and have a lovely breakfast there.

We leave around 12 on the coach for Anchorage. It is still raining. Despite roadworks we make good time. A stop is made for ice cream and toilets. I am in the very back seat and decide to stay there. We are shown a video of how severe Alaska is in winter and then listen to a recording of a story teller…. Forgive me if I forget the name…. I drowsed through most of both. Bryan regaled us with stories and we play a hysterical game involving drawing a Moose…… we each started off with a blank card….. we each then drew the eye of the moose and then passed the card to the next couple to draw the tail and so on until the whole moose is drawn but not necessarily in anatomical proximity or order if that makes sense. Great fun.

We make Anchorage by 3pm and have 2 hours free time before check in. Bryan has given us maps and restaurant recommendations. We head to the Mall as it is raining and I look for gifts for my 3 girls. Don’t find anything. Darran buys a watch on sale at J C Penney. I book us a table for 2 at a steak place (Club Paris). As it’s still raining we head for the visitor’s centre and check out the exhibits.

Marriott Hotel. Darran gets us a couple of coffees courtesy of the hotel. They don’t have a coffee shop apparently. We head for our room on the 16th floor which turns out to be for wheelchair access. I really appreciate the effort RCCL went to to get this sorted for us however I still don’t feel it necessary (even though using the shower is really great with the handles provided). I’m a reluctant wheel chair user and Darran still requires learner plates at pushing. The problem with this room is that it has one large bed and we prefer to sleep apart….. only the cat occasionally shares my bed at home! One phone call later and we are rehomed on a much lower floor with a far less spectacular view but a nice room with 2 beds.

Wi fi is available in the lobby. I have coughed up $9.95 to have wi fi in the room. I am spoilt and at silly o’clock in the morning I can go online whilst he is zzzzzzz and check out the world. Darran is trying to work out how to get his laptop on to the same provider. Guess I’ll have to lend him my NetBook when he gets back from his nicotine fix!

Tomorrow we head for our final stop on the land tour : Alyeska.

Darran's back from his smoke.... he has free internet somehow.....

Surprised there's no "facilities" on those buses.

Hope you enjoyed Club Paris, great food and some local atmosphere too but I'm glad I was on expenses when I went :)

There is one WC on the bus; I've not used it.

Cafe Paris was wonderful.

I have posted the pic of the filet and lobster tail..... this is what a lobster tail should look like.... RCCL please take note.....

39466_10150240577955352_617355351_13957880_8008594_n.jpg

YUMMY!

Did you see any of the Solar Tsunami last night? I know there is not a lot of darkness, so likely not, but thought of you just the same.

No hon, We were out in daylight at 10pm here in Anchorage though the skies had cleared and it wasn't raining...... I had heard there was something going on but as usual my brain forgot to check out the possibilities!

LINDA....Your blog is wonderful! I am loving being an armchair traveler following your adventures. Thanks for doing this. The pics are great too. I hope your hip/leg pain improves as the trip progresses. Can't wait to read more!!

Linda, enjoying this so much. Can't wait to hear what you think of Aleyska. This is all wonderful, keep up the great job. Did you see many animals from the train? My husbands brother and his wife did a similar tour last year with celebrity. They also went to the same Ididarod dog tour you went to and also bragged about being handed a puppy. They really LOVED it as much as you did. I saw the Radiance in Juneau on the webcam yesterday (or perhaps it was Tuesday), so cool. Thanks again, keep up the great job! MJN

Hi.

We are now in Alyeska.

MJN : we saw some swan from the train.... nothing with four legs....

This morning we were up nice and early with bags outside the door and on our way to breakfast. We headed for a restaurant on 5th Avenue and now I can’t remember what it was called….. attached to the Westmark Hotel. I had bagel with lox and cream cheese and 2 poached eggs. Darran had ham and eggs and I wish I had taken a pic of that!

We then headed for a T-shirt place where D had seen a couple of designs he liked. We both came away with a couple. Then into a souvenir store where I got a small cuddly moose for my desk at work and a couple of greetings cards I could give Bryan and Mike with their tips for the week. I have to say Bryan’s sense of humour and his story telling have to be legend….. As it turns out neither of them will be accompanying the tour bus to Seward tomorrow. Bryan is taking care of everyone’s carry on bags during the day and Mike is driving his coach to Seward early to collect the post cruise tour debarking there tomorrow. Bryan will be signing the new people in at wherever that hotel is so everyone on our coach will be transported to Seward by someone else.

We, on the other hand, will be getting up early, catching the hotel shuttle into Girdwood, boarding the train to Seward and then catching the Kenai Fjords tour.

Anyway, back to today.

First organized tour stop is the Native Alaskan Heritage Centre which was simply wonderful. Watched a demonstration of dancing, Sports activities, shoe and jewellery making amongst other displays. Bought a souvenir for one of my DDs. Totem pole design and manufacture really interested me and I spent some time discussing this. Just amazing. Darran has disappeared with his camera right now so will upload his pics in due course. In the meantime here are a couple of mine.

40002_10150241266870352_617355351_13971392_4263908_n.jpg

40002_10150241266875352_617355351_13971393_7902254_n.jpg

We had a snack lunch there (how come a kids hotdog feeds an adult?)

We were then taken to an Animal Reserve sanctuary place on the way to Alyeska. I didn’t get off the bus. I understand it’s not a zoo but I have a problem with seeing animals behind wire. Bryan said that maybe only 15% are rehabilitated, the rest are homed there permanently.

Had a long wait to get checked in to the hotel. Not impressed. I am very tired despite napping on the bus. We have another wheelchair assist room…… I check my emails and I did request this….. I have no memory…. What I didn’t say is that we also need 2 beds. This has 1. When I call reception they say I could ask someone on the tour to swap as they have no other room available. Or I can have a roll away. We’ll survive in one bed. The room is large as is the bathroom which at least has a tub….. problem with wheelchair accessible showers is the flood that ensues on the floor…. There is clearly a knack in showering in one without needing mounds of towels on the floor to mop up the overflow!

Why are the wheelchair assist rooms almost furthest form the lifts?

There’s no wi fi in the room but there is a router and cable provided free of charge. Planning on eating Japanese tonight mnomnmmnmomnmomnmomnmomn.

I have no idea when I will be able to post a blog next. I will certainly write one up on board daily. Tomorrow we will board after the tour around 5/6pm. Sailaway is 9pm. We have My Time Dining and I have already requested a table for 8pm. Not sure when/if I’ll get on line. As you can see from the itinerary the first day is a sea day so it’s unlikely that I’ll get net access on board.

One day at a time eh? :)

Great photos of food, Linda! I'm reading these at 8 AM, and why unconventional for breakfast, they still look yummy!:D

I will be thinking of you all day, it's written in red on my desktop calendar, "RADIANCE - Aug 6 - ALASKA! L&D Southbound!";)

There are very few live reports for the Alaska cruises, and you are doing a wonderful job, thanks so much for sharing!

I know you are having a great time, my friend, enjoy! :)

Peers through sleep deprived eyes at screen and waves madly.

Today we head on the train to Seward and Radiance. Finally. Had an amazing land tour. Not long enough. Made some wonderful memories. I guess the most profound being seeing the bears in Denali, the golden eagle soaring free and the moose. Alaska without moose is like hot chocolate without the whipped cream.... absolutely fabulous regardless.

Peers through sleep deprived eyes at screen and waves madly.

Today we head on the train to Seward and Radiance. Finally. Had an amazing land tour. Not long enough. Made some wonderful memories. I guess the most profound being seeing the bears in Denali, the golden eagle soaring free and the moose. Alaska without moose is like hot chocolate without the whipped cream.... absolutely fabulous regardless.

Thank you Linda, for taking us along the land tour, sharing your pictures, and giving us your honest insight into the good, the bad, and the ugly! I love your glass half-full approach to life. Enjoy the cruise!!!

"Today we head on the train to Seward and Radiance. Finally. Had an amazing land tour. Not long enough. Made some wonderful memories. I guess the most profound being seeing the bears in Denali, the golden eagle soaring free and the moose. Alaska without moose is like hot chocolate without the whipped cream.... absolutely fabulous regardless."

HAHAHAHAHAHAH, (priceless!)

Loving your review so far...never thought about taking a cruisetour but it seems like more fun than I imagined, will definitely consider it now.

You should be on your way to the ship I believe and so I checked out the webcam link for Seward this morning and it's a beautiful shot. It's quite early in the morning and the mist is on the mountains in the background...wish I was there to get a real picture but this will have to do :)

cam00.jpg

Hope the cruise portion of your journey is exactly how you imagined it would be :)

Archived