Bit of a blog - Radiance of the Seas – Alaska Cruisetour – July/August 2010

NN - thanks so much for your replies.

All filed safely and now impatiently waiting for 2012 sales to open so I can book (hopefullly when I am on a ship so I can get the xtra OBC!)

One last thing (perhaps!) - the Kenai Fjords trip - was this when the train got to Seward and was this thrown in or extra or privately arranged??

BTW I also had a great uncle called Norbert.....Norbert Celestine to give him his full names! It seems to have died out as a name now ;)

I will see my Uncle Norbert in less than 2 weeks. He lives in CA but we are going to a wedding in MI :D I love him dearly.

The Kenai Fjords trip was an extra. We left the land tour in Alyeska and took the train from Girdwood to Seward. The Alaska Heritage people booked the train and boat for us. It worked out perfectly. We were in Seward before the tour had left Alyeska! In fact I doubt they boarded Radiance much before us.

PS Darran's wildlife pics are now here

I will see my Uncle Norbert in less than 2 weeks. He lives in CA but we are going to a wedding in MI :D I love him dearly.

[/url]

Since we're on the topic...a very good friend of mine from college is named Norbert. To his displeasure we all called him Norby. :)

It sounds like where Norberts lack in quantity, they make it all up in quality!!!

Ruth !!! <<<hugs>>> Lovely to hear from you!! You guys had a blast on the cruise. Was good to meet on the roll call first and then have people to say hi to on the cruise as the week went by. Did you see the pic Darran happened to take of your brother waving from the train at Girdwood station? How bizarre is that! Hijack away!!!

Thanks, Linda. Saw the picture and saw Mom standing next to him. We took the train all the way from Anchorage and loved it. We spent a lot of time out on the upper deck at the back of our car. We did notice that the RCCL cars at the back of the train didn't have an outside deck. We heard that was for the people who had the train as part of their land trip. I would post pictures, but I managed to lose my camera when I was getting off the train. :mad: I did promptly buy one on board on Friday night.

• 1 month later...

Linda, just want you to know that this Texas girl has spent the last hour+ having way too much coffee while enjoying your blog. Your information is truly invaluable as we'll be on the same cruise in a mere 11 months! We have an aft cabin reserved (1102), but your cabin 9256 is my DREAM cabin on the Radiance. Never had that one,but keep trying to figure out just how early one must book in order to get it:) We love aft, but worry that a cabin on the port side for a southbound cruise might provide better land viewing. Any thoughts? This will be our first Alaskan cruise and I'm not sure how I'll manage to wait 11 more months, but your blog has certainly helped. Pictures are amazing and thanks again for your hard work!

Linda, just want you to know that this Texas girl has spent the last hour+ having way too much coffee while enjoying your blog. Your information is truly invaluable as we'll be on the same cruise in a mere 11 months! We have an aft cabin reserved (1102), but your cabin 9256 is my DREAM cabin on the Radiance. Never had that one,but keep trying to figure out just how early one must book in order to get it:) We love aft, but worry that a cabin on the port side for a southbound cruise might provide better land viewing. Any thoughts? This will be our first Alaskan cruise and I'm not sure how I'll manage to wait 11 more months, but your blog has certainly helped. Pictures are amazing and thanks again for your hard work!

Thank you so much. I would do it all again tomorrow. Was a dream vacation. The aft was just fabulous. Had 1104 on Jewel. Booked 9256 the day after the itinerary was released! Pretty crazy considering that were 16 months to go! In my opinion it doesn't matter port or starboard for Alaska. The ship is so amazing you're out and about as much as you are in your cabin. For the inside passage the aft is wonderful as you get to see so much if you just want to stay in your own space however the port side does have its advantages here as there are totems to be seen albeit briefly (we missed them even using binoculars!) Aft also pays dividends at Hubbard Glacier as you get continuous viewing regardless which side of the ship is facing the glacier. Perfect!

Archived