Gastrointestinal on board QM2 at the moment

Lynnewob

We're boarding for a short trip on Friday and have just received a text from Cunard to arrive at check in 1 hour later than the stated time as they have a gastrointestinal illness on board.

Is anyone on board that can confirm this or know anything about it even if not on board.

Have got same text as we board Friday. First text says terminal has changed to 46/47 Ocean Terminal. Second text at 1345 says it is QE2 terminal. At least it is the same dock gate so we can follow the signs when we get there.

To quote "Cars booked with CPS cannot be accepted until after midday. QM2 will now be berthed at the QEII cruise terminal, Dock gate 4"

The delay in boarding will be to allow time for a deep cleaning operation prior to you getting on. It happens when there is a noro outbreak. I imagine that the ultra strict cleansing routine will be observed for a good few days. Probably no self serve in the buffet and packets of salt and pepper on the counter. Naturally they take these things very seriously.

We got the same text :( such a shame as its only a short cruise on Friday..no doubt they want to make sure its all gone by the time the xmas and new year passengers board when we disembark....me cynical? :rolleyes:

Cynical? Would you rather they didn't treat the outbreak and let you on an hour earlier. They want it all gone as soon as possible and that desire is nothing to do with the Christmas cruise. I do see where the madness in your name comes from.

There's a certain level below which an infection isn't reportable to the CDC but would still cause changes in onboard routine.

It occurs to me also that this year's flu vaccine is less than 50% effective due to mutations in the flu strain. So we have that to look forward to as well.

I appreciate that, but you usually hear of some passenger or other mentioning it on here, or other forums/facebook etc. Not heard anything but its that time of year. Azura has it apparently as well :(

Maybe they are all to ill to get online and post. Or perhaps Cunard have removed internet access to prevent the word getting out... another conspiracy:eek:

We're boarding for a short trip on Friday and have just received a text from Cunard to arrive at check in 1 hour later than the stated time as they have a gastrointestinal illness on board.

Is anyone on board that can confirm this or know anything about it even if not on board.

I'm on board & we've been under extra sanitation measures since around Day 3.

We've escaped and it hasn't spoilt our enjoyment of a great cruise.

I'm on board & we've been under extra sanitation measures since around Day 3.

We've escaped and it hasn't spoilt our enjoyment of a great cruise.

Thanks Kate for confirming this. It looks like you have escaped it thankfully. Stay well and let's hope we meet again on board in the future.

Lynne and Mark

That was someone who took it on board with them then...glad you have still had a great cruise,,hope the seas aren't too rough the last couple of days!

Not too sure about that. While it is likely that passengers or crew members contracted a gastro-intestinal illness while on-shore and then it spread on-board. But we know that there are other pathogens that can cause gastro-intestinal illness, including contaminated food and/or water. We don't know the cause of the current illness on board - we're just assuming(understandably) it's noro virus. Anyway, let's not jump to conclusions until the facts are in - as if.

Best wishes to all on board, especially those that are ill and the crew members working double time. -S.

Not too sure about that. While it is likely that passengers or crew members contracted a gastro-intestinal illness while on-shore and then it spread on-board. But we know that there are other pathogens that can cause gastro-intestinal illness, including contaminated food and/or water. We don't know the cause of the current illness on board - we're just assuming(understandably) it's noro virus. Anyway, let's not jump to conclusions until the facts are in - as if.

Best wishes to all on board, especially those that are ill and the crew members working double time. -S.

The email I had from Cunard last night specifically stated that the outbreak on board is Norovirus. Presumably they have test results and are being refreshingly frank.

Just to add into the mix Force 8 gales are forecast for the next few days. Hope that doesn't prevent the pilot boat coming out from Zeebrugge on Sunday which is something I have experienced. Still this time the consolation prize will be the weekend on QM2 in a full gale.

Not to worry, gale should be gone by the weekend. It has been there since Tuesday.

Extract of outlook from Met Office shipping forecast

Gales easing over Fitzroy early on Sunday but winds will be strong to the north of 48 north with a risk of gales, particularly through the English Channel. Risk of gales soon easing on Monday with winds easing from the west