LUAU on Oahu - help!

JLDMED

We are on the Ruby to Hawaii this March, and are on Oahu from 7 am to 11 PM. We are considering one of the following:

Polynesian Cultural Center all day/night tour with Princess (pricey!)

Renting a car and doing a partial day at PCC on our own

Paradise Cove Luau (with their transportation)

Renting a car and doing partial day at Paradise Cove on our own

Any thoughts? Concerned about the time factor with car rental. Would appreciate advice regarding this by people who have done it. Where is the car rental facility with regard to the cruise terminal?

Why does the luau have to be on Oahu? I'd rather go to the Old Lahaina Luau if I was going to do any commercial luau in Hawaii.

The PCC probably has the best, most authentic dancing, but the food is just average.

OLL is a decent combo of okay food and okay show.

But depending on your time on each island, I don't know if a commercial luau would be a high priority.

Are you not doing nights before or after your cruise?

I too prefer Old Lahaina Luau, but the op probably doesn't have enough port time in Maui?

I prefer Germains in Oahu, which is "good". They do provide transportation. http://www.germainesluau.com/pricing

I would think you might want to figure out your entire day? You'll have to see what the current rental car options are from the port?

Hi OP, I have done both Germaines Luau and the one at the PCC.

Thoughts from me and my DH:

I liked having transportation on the bus to Germaines, no worries if you choose to enjoy an adult beverage while watching the show and they drop you off right on location. My experience with Germaines Luau was by the Ocean and that was nice for our pictures before dark. We ate at tables that were right on the beach sand. They also allowed the audience to participate in one of the dances which was a lot of fun. They are a reputable company and consistent. I remember hearing the waves break and feeling the breeze from the ocean while we ate and watched the show, it was so nice. I still have our picture sitting on a table in one of our rooms and we do actually still have the glasses from there as well! I would do this Luau again.

The PCC was nice too but different. Not quite as intimate as Germaines and you park somewhere outside the PCC and after entering the PCC gates you make your way (aka walk) through what I will call the Center...(really a huge park, the cultural theme park) to where the Luau begins. We ate at one location and then moved to another for the show. My DH says in his opinion you can go to the PCC and just watch the show and skip the Luau part because the show is what's worth watching. The food was plenty and served buffet style. I thought Germaines food was better. The performance stages were set where everyone could see them. The performances were quite impressive and their show was much more theatrical and a bit longer than the one at Germaines. However there was no ocean breeze and we went during a hot time of the year and well, it was hot. I think this is when I started carrying a folding fan (they are usually wooden or plastic and collapse to fit in the palm of your hand) with me on vacation in my bag...it' s now a travel staple.

I am really glad I had an opportunity to experience them both. Please come back and tell us which one you choose and let us know about your experience.

Happy travels! :D

I too prefer Old Lahaina Luau, but the op probably doesn't have enough port time in Maui?

I prefer Germains in Oahu, which is "good". They do provide transportation. http://www.germainesluau.com/pricing

I would think you might want to figure out your entire day? You'll have to see what the current rental car options are from the port?

Thanks, Budget Queen. Will research Germains. Can you tell me anything more about car rentals from the port? Do any of the rental companies pick you up at the port?

Thanks, Budget Queen. Will research Germains. Can you tell me anything more about car rentals from the port? Do any of the rental companies pick you up at the port?

Germaine's is one of the lower regarded luaus on Oahu.

Besides PCC the current most popular one is The Chief's Luau at SeaLife Park followed by the Paradise Cove Luau.

If you are retired military or have a connection to the DoD, the Hale Koa Luau in Waikiki is good. Also in Waikiki is the show at the Princess Kai'ulani, which more of a show than luau. it is called Te Moa.na Nui Polynesian Luau Dinner Show.

I know Enterprise picks up at the cruise port and a couple of other do too, I just don't recall who.

You can also look into the luau at the Hale Koa. It is a military hotel luau but we found the luau to be very entertaining and very good. We do no have military affiliation but were able to get in by contacting them and because not a busy night were able to get in.

I have been to Paradise Cove, Polynesian Cultural Center, and Germaine's Luau. The best one, in my opinion, is Paradise Cove, though the show at P.C.C. is really good as well.

So far P.C.C. is the only one we have been to and that was back in 2003. Is their show still held in the theater? It was a great show but I was not big on the atmosphere of sitting in an outdoor theater where the other luaus you are at the tables where you ate dinner. Just a small personal preference.

We went to the Hale Koa two nights ago. We really enjoyed both the food and the show, as well as the chance to learn some crafts and history before the feast. Very reasonably priced, too.

Relic, are you U.S. military or were you able to buy tickets as a civilian on the day of the luau?

I have been to Paradise Cove, Polynesian Cultural Center, and Germaine's Luau. The best one, in my opinion, is Paradise Cove, though the show at P.C.C. is really good as well.

How long has it been since you were at Paradise Cove? I went there 15 years ago. Recent reviews on trip advisor are not so good. One discount luau website won't sell tickets due to customer complaints. I had planned on going there but now I'm torn.

For the original poster - I did the same route on the Sapphire a couple years back. Most people did not attend a Luau in Oahu in the outskirts due to the heavy traffic which occurs in the evening. They were afraid they wouldn't get back in time even with the provided transportation. The ones nearby would be a better choice.

I did paradise cove with my family in September, we had no complaints and the location for the sunset is unbeatable as far as Oahu luaus go. I haven't attended Germaine's but have been at the adjacent park when the luau was being held, it's in an industrial area but right by the water.

As far as traffic, that occurs long before you would be returning from a luau. If it says it will return your at a specific time you can trust it barring construction (which to my knowledge isn't going to be a factor going back to the ship from any of the luaus in March.)

~Katy

We did the Luau at the Royal Hawaiian but they only do it on Mondays. It was more costly than others but we didn't have to drive 40 miles each way on a bus. Also the ocean is right there.

The luau at the Royal Hawaiian isn't really a luau and it is very overpriced for what you get.

They seem to have made some adjustments in it since I was there last, but it is still overpriced.

Relic, are you U.S. military or were you able to buy tickets as a civilian on the day of the luau?

Is it possible to buy tickets for the Hale Koa luau without military connections?Would you contact them in advance or just on the day? Would Canadian military service qualify?

Even though it stated on their website military ID was required, they do sell to the public space available. Just not sure you could book in advance. As for Canadian military, try it. It might work. [emoji1063]. Search Hale Koa Luau.

Edited by relic2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Well I just got back from Oahu. While I was there, I stayed at the Hale Koa hotel and went to their luau. When you go in, they give you a seashell lei and a free drink, either a mai tai or fruit punch with a maraschino cherry in it. Then they have activities around their lawn, such as temporary tattoo stamps, lei making, learn to play the ukelele, make a headband from leaves. They have a gazebo with musicians playing and the staff showing you how to wear hawaiian garments. Then the dinner begins. We sat at table 54, with another family in the covered roof part in the back. The appetizers included pineapple, pickled papaya and cucumbers, seaweed, and salsa. The entree indudes shredded pork, chicken, fish, rice, and a fried banana. The dessert includes coconut cake and haupia pudding. The show starts after dinner. The show shows traditional dances of each polynesian island. Sitting in the back, I couldn't see very well. The fire dancers were my favorite part.

• 1 month later...
We went to the Hale Koa two nights ago. We really enjoyed both the food and the show, as well as the chance to learn some crafts and history before the feast. Very reasonably priced, too.

I will be staying at the hale KOA and plan on doing the luau there in July. Quick question , did you get greeted with with a lei?

Well I just got back from Oahu. While I was there, I stayed at the Hale Koa hotel and went to their luau. When you go in, they give you a seashell lei and a free drink, either a mai tai or fruit punch with a maraschino cherry in it. Then they have activities around their lawn, such as temporary tattoo stamps, lei making, learn to play the ukelele, make a headband from leaves. They have a gazebo with musicians playing and the staff showing you how to wear hawaiian garments. Then the dinner begins. We sat at table 54, with another family in the covered roof part in the back. The appetizers included pineapple, pickled papaya and cucumbers, seaweed, and salsa. The entree indudes shredded pork, chicken, fish, rice, and a fried banana. The dessert includes coconut cake and haupia pudding. The show starts after dinner. The show shows traditional dances of each polynesian island. Sitting in the back, I couldn't see very well. The fire dancers were my favorite part.

I will be staying there as well. I read that there is a make your own lei? So you didn't get greeted with one?

And what time did the pre show activities start? Then when did the actual call to start the event start?