St. Maarten in August - What to do?

rbolanos

We will be on the Harmony and one of our Ports of Call is St. Maarten. Few questions.

Orient Beach or? Any other suggestions, such as a resort with beach, drinks, food and pool

Also, we were there a long time ago, and purchased a wheel of Gouda cheese at a local supermarket. We cannot remember the name and location. Has anyone recently done this? Thank you for any suggestions and feedback.

Unless you are really looking at doing something else, I don't see why Orient wouldn't work again.

We spend A LOT of time on Orient.

For the cheese, I have recently documented a shop right at the Cruise Facility to purchase Gouda.

th_DSCN4629.jpg th_DSCN4628.jpg

gary

we usually vacation on the island in the summer for a week or two and find that storms in the Atlantic can really effect some of the beaches. Dawn and Orient are two popular beaches that we find are often rougher and may have more seaweed debris on the beach in the summer than at other times of the year that we have visited them.

Dawn and Orient are two popular beaches that we find are often rougher and may have more seaweed debris on the beach in the summer than at other times of the year that we have visited them.

Are there other beaches to consider that would be recommended? Thank you.

Have you been to Mullet? It's very nice but only has a Porto potty for a washroom. It's close to Maho so you could do both. Simpson Bay is also a good option. Look in to Karakter beach bar.

Love love love Mullett! Karater is awesome too. If youbwant great beach p!us awesome beach go to Mullett and walk to Maho (15 min walk)

Are there other beaches to consider that would be recommended? Thank you.

If Dawn is experiencing rough seas, Mullet is often a great alternative. But they are pretty far apart...so you really need to know the weather/water conditions before you make a commitment unless you have a rental car. There are some other excellent beaches on the island...but they do not tend to attract cruisers which means you will generally not find a taxi for your return (unless you call). Friar's Bay/Beach is normally pretty quiet and does have a beach bar/restaurant. From there you can hike over to Happy Bay...which we think is one of the best spots on the island.....because there are generally very few people. But Happy Bay, since it is somewhat isolated, does sometimes attract a few nude (totally nude) sunbathers. People who stay or live on the island could care less....but cruisers are a different story. When we have stayed on the island we have never noticed any cruisers at Happy Bay (they would need a rental car....and have to hike).

Hank

• 1 month later...

My hubby and I can't decide, he wants to go on a catamaran tour and I want to go on Bernards Beach and Shopping Tour. I was hoping he'd get enough time at the beach during our stop at Orient and our day at Labadee.

Is this a good island for Catamaran tours? Keep in mind we did a 6 hr tour in Maui on our honeymoon and a 1/2 day tour in Nassau to snorkel as well. I don't want to go all day on a Catamaran if this isn't a stellar area to see underwater life, I'd really like to visit Marigot and experience some of the local culture.

My hubby and I can't decide, he wants to go on a catamaran tour and I want to go on Bernards Beach and Shopping Tour. I was hoping he'd get enough time at the beach during our stop at Orient and our day at Labadee.

Is this a good island for Catamaran tours? Keep in mind we did a 6 hr tour in Maui on our honeymoon and a 1/2 day tour in Nassau to snorkel as well. I don't want to go all day on a Catamaran if this isn't a stellar area to see underwater life, I'd really like to visit Marigot and experience some of the local culture.

Why don't you plan a day where you both get what you want. A morning in Marigot and the afternoon at a beach. This would be very easy to do via taxi.

Here's a plan: taxi to Marigot to sightsee, shop, coffees and pastries and then taxi to Orient Beach for beach time and lunch and then taxi back to port.

One thing to remember is that many stores in Marigot close for a couple of hours in the early afternoon.

Why don't you plan a day where you both get what you want. A morning in Marigot and the afternoon at a beach. This would be very easy to do via taxi.

Here's a plan: taxi to Marigot to sightsee, shop, coffees and pastries and then taxi to Orient Beach for beach time and lunch and then taxi back to port.

One thing to remember is that many stores in Marigot close for a couple of hours in the early afternoon.

A good split- Marigot in the morning would be cooler than the afternoon; and after your beach time getting back to Philipsburg from Orient would avoid the afternoon traffic getting from the west side of the island. If timing worked, you could fit in a bit of shopping after getting to Philipsburg before getting to the cruise terminal.