Transfers from Civitavecchia to Rome airport (FCO)

midwestchick

I was certain that our transfers were included after our cruise. To my embarassment and dismay I did find out today they are not included. :o :eek: :confused: The transfer through Azamara is $92.00 U.S. dollars pp to FCO. In my opinion this seems a little high. Yes, I do realize it can take up to 90 minutes but my experinece was 45 minutes on a Saturday in late September...after the busy vacation season is over. We will need a transfer on Oct. 4.

I think I can find a better transfer option. I'd like some opinions and advice from others who have done this same transfer this time of year. Please share with me what you have done in the past. Thank you.

Oh, and sharing a private transfer with someone is something we would be open to. I'm trying to gain information before I post this on our roll call so I can open it up to other people.

Edited by midwestchick

We've used SmartCruiseTours before. Not all the way to the airport but from port to Rome for a day's sightseeing. We had a good experience with them. They met us when they said they would and the driver spoke good English. I think if you look on the ports forum of Cruise Critic you may find some reviews of this company. http://www.smartcruisetours.com/index.php/airport-transfers?page=shop.browse&category_id=12

In one instance, when confronted with a logistical challenge created by a volcanic eruption in Iceland, ROMECABS handled our situation superbly and we were able to join our cruise.

We also enjoy discussing politics, life in local neighbourhoods, economics and, of course, football with the drivers.

Agree completely with those who have already made this recommendation.

In one instance, when confronted with a logistical challenge created by a volcanic eruption in Iceland, ROMECABS handled our situation superbly and we were able to join our cruise.

We also enjoy discussing politics, life in local neighbourhoods, economics and, of course, football with the drivers.

Agree completely with those who have already made this recommendation.

We had a very scarey time in a cab in Copenhagen, the driver was in a very political mood and was not too concerned about the driving side of things. Especially when DH told him, after much anti ranting about certain topics, that we were ex military. I just passed daggers to DH and hung on to the seat. Very relieved when we got to the ship.

Moral of the story

If a taxi driver has strong opinions, just agree, nod and make agreeing noises, do not speak ;)

Yvonne

We had a very scarey time in a cab in Copenhagen, the driver was in a very political mood and was not too concerned about the driving side of things. Especially when DH told him, after much anti ranting about certain topics, that we were ex military. I just passed daggers to DH and hung on to the seat. Very relieved when we got to the ship.

Moral of the story

If a taxi driver has strong opinions, just agree, nod and make agreeing noises, do not speak ;)

Yvonne

Excellent point!

I have discovered the need to attend well to my DW's instructions :).

In October 2013, we were in a group of 6 that shared transport to the airport in a van from RomeInLimo. The cost was 180 Euro for the van, not per person. They needed a credit card to book the reservation, but payment was due at the end of the transport (at the airport), in cash only. Either Euros, or TC in Euros.

The driver was waiting in the parking lot, just as we exited the baggage claim terminal. He had a clearly marked sign in the window of the van. It could not have been easier.

For the OP, the only time that transfer are included is when you book a package.

Last year we booked a package. once with cruise-line and once with TA.

On both occasions transfers were included both to and from the airports.

If you have loads of time and energy and less money, it is possible to do the journey by train, but I'd be inclined to book a car, which should be much cheaper and more convenient than through the ship, unless travelling solo.

For the OP, the only time that transfer are included is when you book a package.

Last year we booked a package. once with cruise-line and once with TA.

On both occasions transfers were included both to and from the airports.

If you have loads of time and energy and less money, it is possible to do the journey by train, but I'd be inclined to book a car, which should be much cheaper and more convenient than through the ship, unless travelling solo.

The OP wants to get from the port of Civitavecchia to FCO. I would never in a million years recommend driving that route, not to someone unaccustomed to driving Italian roads.

The OP wants to get from the port of Civitavecchia to FCO. I would never in a million years recommend driving that route, not to someone unaccustomed to driving Italian roads.

I wasn't suggesting they should, but having thought about it, it's a decent idea, as it's all motorway.

Thank you for all the replies. I'll check out Rome cabs and I have heard about Rome in limo before....all good.

I actually thought I had booked a package since I booked my choice air flights also. Oh well....so it goes. If this is the worst glitch in our vacation then I have no complaints.

I'll check our small roll call to see if anyone is interested in sharing a transfer.

Thank you for all the replies. I'll check out Rome cabs and I have heard about Rome in limo before....all good.

I actually thought I had booked a package since I booked my choice air flights also. Oh well....so it goes. If this is the worst glitch in our vacation then I have no complaints.

I'll check our small roll call to see if anyone is interested in sharing a transfer.

Glad that you have some options and that your Roll Call may help.

Edited by nordski

Glad that you have some options and that your Roll Call may help.

Both of my roll calls are small. I keep hoping they'll pick up more people...certainly not enough yet for a M&M. But, we've got 5 months yet. I do know there were people on our cruise that had never heard of CC.

Both of my roll calls are small. I keep hoping they'll pick up more people...certainly not enough yet for a M&M. But, we've got 5 months yet. I do know there were people on our cruise that had never heard of CC.

We board on the day you are disembarking and, as of yet, there isn't a Roll Call.

We fly in a day early and, if the Roll Call remains nonexistent I'm trying to think of other creative ways to find interested parties to share a transfer.

As far as the required numbers for a M&M, in the past I believe Azamara has been quite liberal in their interpretation.

You could walk it in 5 months!;)

We board on the day you are disembarking and, as of yet, there isn't a Roll Call.

We fly in a day early and, if the Roll Call remains nonexistent I'm trying to think of other creative ways to find interested parties to share a transfer.

As far as the required numbers for a M&M, in the past I believe Azamara has been quite liberal in their interpretation.

You can start a roll call...maybe people are afraid to start one. I think I'll check out Ports of call and see if people are posting about our cruises there.

English Tim....I don't think so...it's a little far to walk. ;)

I was certain that our transfers were included after our cruise. To my embarassment and dismay I did find out today they are not included. :o :eek: :confused: The transfer through Azamara is $92.00 U.S. dollars pp to FCO. In my opinion this seems a little high. Yes, I do realize it can take up to 90 minutes but my experinece was 45 minutes on a Saturday in late September...after the busy vacation season is over. We will need a transfer on Oct. 4.

I think I can find a better transfer option. I'd like some opinions and advice from others who have done this same transfer this time of year. Please share with me what you have done in the past. Thank you.

Oh, and sharing a private transfer with someone is something we would be open to. I'm trying to gain information before I post this on our roll call so I can open it up to other people.

Go to RailEuro web-site from port to FCO about $17 PP takes about 1 hour 45 min. 1 transfer required. Other fast trains run the route as well.

It's a 15 min. walk from port to train station