St. Olaf's church Tallinn - quick word of warning

Matsurida

St Olaf's in Tallinn is high on the list of attractions thanks to its church tower, which you can climb for a fantastic view of the city. Just a word of warning, though: we were there in summer just as the church opened its doors. You can enter the church for free and then buy a ticket to go up the tower. The round staircase has something like 230 steps and is very narrow (Photo on Wikipedia). The problem is that there is only one staircase, i.e. for going up and for coming down, and when we were there, they didn't limit the number of people going up. We were among the first two or three people at the top but the viewing platform rapidly became full to overflow point with constantly more people coming up. Getting back down was claustrophobic not to mention dangerous, as people were using the staircase both ways, with much pushing, children crying, people panicking, a few close to passing out. We couldn't believe that the whole thing wasn't better managed. it was just: "buy your ticket and up you go". I would avoid taking kids up at all at peak times and reconsider going up yourself. Pretty badly organised, and generally irresponsible to not manage the crowds better.

Useful observation and good advice. This a common problem in these popular medieval churches. I had a similar experience in the main tower in Florence where they do have some kind of control helped by the cost, but it still gets very congested. It worked out fine for us but looking back should have noticed the crowds and steepness when ascending and turned back as I was with a 5 year old.

Had a similar experience under the pyramid at Giza. :eek:

Very confined space deep under the centre of the pyramid, approached by a long dark low & narrow passage & that same passage also the only way out. People kept piling in unwittingly, & it became suffocating.

Added to that, altho the pyramid has survived for millennia of course it's at a time like that when you wonder just how stable the thing is. :rolleyes:

Easily resolved with just one attendant at the entrance, or even just a traffic-light system.

JB :)

Easily resolved with just one attendant at the entrance, or even just a traffic-light system.

JB :)

I agree. There's a church in or near Warwick which has a very simple traffic light - basically, it's green for up for ten minutes starting on the hour and half hour, and green for down for ten minutes starting at the quarter hours.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...