Labadee

cruiselover0929

Looking at all the ports I will be visiting on my cruise. One stop is Royal Caribbean's private island Labadee. I was wondering if you can just relax and sit on the beach. If so is there a fee to do so? Thanks In Advance!

Yup, it can be a totally FREE chill day.

Loungers free (although if an islander sets it up give him a buck or two), or find one already set up and relax. There are a number of beaches, Adrenaline, Columbus (nice and sandy, but gets crowded).

Free luncheon (BBQ; hamburgers salads beans other picnincy stuff), water, lemonaid.

On the hill vendors can be pushy, easy to avoid this area.

Take the time to walk around, it is a nice destination.

Sea Ya

Edited by Lionesss

There is no fee at Labadee and the island is one large beach divided into different areas. Columbus Cove and Nellies Beach are the most popular and have the nicest sand (less rocky). Adrenaline Beach is where you can view the ziplines but the shore and water is rocky. Barefoot Beach is for suite guests. Your seapass card works for drinks on Labadee and the ship provides lunch, burgers hotdogs, chicken, ribs and salads.

Post #8 shows the map of Labadee.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1973540&highlight=map+of+labadee

• 2 weeks later...

We haven't been to Labadee since 2007 (so needless to change that alot has changed since then). I'm bummed that Barefoot beach is for suite guests only as that is where we sat each time we went to Labadee. :(

There is no fee at Labadee and the island is one large beach divided into different areas. Columbus Cove and Nellies Beach are the most popular and have the nicest sand (less rocky). Adrenaline Beach is where you can view the ziplines but the shore and water is rocky. Barefoot Beach is for suite guests. Your seapass card works for drinks on Labadee and the ship provides lunch, burgers hotdogs, chicken, ribs and salads.

Post #8 shows the map of Labadee.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1973540&highlight=map+of+labadee

• 2 weeks later...

With the outbreak of Chicamunga(sp?) in many of the islands, I read today that DR and Haiti are having a difficult time in containing the spread of it because they are 2 of the poorest countries, and can not afford the cost of spraying for the mosquitoes. I assume that RCL keeps up with spraying on their portion, Labadee, so we would not have worries; but what about outside of their fence? I understand there are some tours that go to small villages where Haitians live.(maybe employees who work at Labadee?) Does RCL keep these areas sprayed also? Has anyone been to Labadee recently and have information on this? Does RCL provide any restrictions or info to passengers, or have they eliminated the tours? Do any of you have an insider's viewpoint? (I've been told DEET does not prevent the bite of this type of mosquito...is this true?) I'm not worried at this point, just curious as to if and how this is being addressed?(we were in St Martin when this illness was first addressed in the Carribbean, and we did not see any mosquitoes there; but they also were able to spray immediately) Thank you

To my knowledge, passengers do not leave the area of the island that is called Labadee. There are no tours into Haiti. There are excursions you can book for Labadee but they are snorkeling, pontoon boat rides, zip line, etc, no tours into the small villages.

Thank you. I was looking at the "historic and cultural" excursion that describes an 'authentic' Haitian village where you can see old houses, hear stories and see native crafts. But it does sound like it may be where some of the employees live, so maybe it is still inside the Labadee fence. That would make sense. Appreciate your input!

To my knowledge, passengers do not leave the area of the island that is called Labadee. There are no tours into Haiti. There are excursions you can book for Labadee but they are snorkeling, pontoon boat rides, zip line, etc, no tours into the small villages.