Getting off the ship?

hihello

Sorry if this question has already been asked. This will be my first time going there. When we get off of the ship, is there a beach right by? Free? Clean? and safe?

I've been to Grand Turk where the beach was literally right there. Is it like that?

Thanks!

Yeah, you can walk to the beach from the dock. You can see where the ski lift chairs are going from the ship. It's just out of the port and down to the right in view of the ships.

There are plenty of ships excursions there, so I'd say it's clean and safe. Some of them include the ski lift "ride" to the beach.

Sorry if this question has already been asked. This will be my first time going there. When we get off of the ship, is there a beach right by? Free? Clean? and safe?

I've been to Grand Turk where the beach was literally right there. Is it like that?

Thanks!

Seems you will be on a Carnival cruise so you'll be docked at Mahogany Bay.

Yes, you'll find it very much like Grand Turk. :)

LuLu

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks!

You should get off of the ship no matter which port.

We live there 2 months a year and sometimes cruise there at other times.

Mahogany Bay has a private beach.

I think you pay for the chair lift.

Coxen Hole is in town, but it is easy to leave the town and it is very near the Cameo Factory which is excellent.

You will miss a beautiful island if you don’t explore.

The are beaches, hills, forests, an Iguana Farm,

a fabulous Cameo Factory and unbelievable good restaurants.

Check Trip Adv for restaurants and things to do.

West End is quaint with good shops & restaurants and a beautiful beach.

We like Escondido’s restaurant in West End.

Get off, explore and have fun.

Edited by Travel Junkie Judy

Where do the RCI ships dock? We'll be there next month on Independence.

RCI docks in Coxen Hole.

There is a nice shopping area right in the port and a fun bar.

There are great tour companies:

Island Marketing (ask to Norma) smaller company

Victor Boden - large company

There are many independent drivers.

They all have to be certified to get into the port.

We’ve met some very nice ones.

They all speak great English - at least the ones we’ve met or used.

Roatan as amazing restaurants.

Check Trip Adv

Temporary Cal’s is one of our favorites.

No beach at the port.

Go to West End and ask to be taken to Tita’s Pink Seahorse for a beach.

Great beach, mostly locals, good food at reasonable prices.

When entering West End, it is a left turn & way down past all of the shops.

It’s an easy walk to the shops.

No entry fee - just buy food and/or drinks.

• 3 weeks later...
You should get off of the ship no matter which port.

We live there 2 months a year and sometimes cruise there at other times.

Mahogany Bay has a private beach.

I think you pay for the chair lift.

Coxen Hole is in town, but it is easy to leave the town and it is very near the Cameo Factory which is excellent.

You will miss a beautiful island if you don’t explore.

The are beaches, hills, forests, an Iguana Farm,

a fabulous Cameo Factory and unbelievable good restaurants.

Check Trip Adv for restaurants and things to do.

West End is quaint with good shops & restaurants and a beautiful beach.

We like Escondido’s restaurant in West End.

Get off, explore and have fun.

Hi Judy. I am travelling with family (my 2 aunts and 2 of my cousins) the end of January, on a Carnival ship, and this is one of our ports. We already have excursions booked for two other ports and so my cousin was thinking of not booking anything for this one. While I'm ok with staying on the ship in Mexico (I've been to the area many, many times before) I have never been to Roatan, so feel it would be a total waste to not get off the ship. That being said, I understand her not wanting to book an excursion and just do something more relaxed (and less expensive) that day.

Can you tell me what is available right in port by way of shops/beach/restaurants? I'm curious what we can do within walking distance.

I do like to learn a bit about the history of the places I go to. You have mentioned a tour company you like. Do they offer short, inexpensive tours for small groups? I've booked privately on previous excursions and have never had a bad experience...but I always looked for recommendations here first. They were very reasonably priced at around $25-$30 and typically included transportation to and from the ship, a couple of hours touring the countryside, time at a beach and time for shopping. I'd even be happy with a short tour of the area.

Much thanks!

Hi Judy. I am travelling with family (my 2 aunts and 2 of my cousins) the end of January, on a Carnival ship, and this is one of our ports. We already have excursions booked for two other ports and so my cousin was thinking of not booking anything for this one. While I'm ok with staying on the ship in Mexico (I've been to the area many, many times before) I have never been to Roatan, so feel it would be a total waste to not get off the ship. That being said, I understand her not wanting to book an excursion and just do something more relaxed (and less expensive) that day.

Can you tell me what is available right in port by way of shops/beach/restaurants? I'm curious what we can do within walking distance.

I do like to learn a bit about the history of the places I go to. You have mentioned a tour company you like. Do they offer short, inexpensive tours for small groups? I've booked privately on previous excursions and have never had a bad experience...but I always looked for recommendations here first. They were very reasonably priced at around $25-$30 and typically included transportation to and from the ship, a couple of hours touring the countryside, time at a beach and time for shopping. I'd even be happy with a short tour of the area.

Much thanks!

Sorry to piggy back on your question, but we also will be there on the 4th of December off of the Norwegian Dawn. We have excursions booked at all the other ports, but wanted to just take it easy in Roatan. So, I am also curious about what to do just off the ship. Thanks.

Sorry to piggy back on your question, but we also will be there on the 4th of December off of the Norwegian Dawn. We have excursions booked at all the other ports, but wanted to just take it easy in Roatan. So, I am also curious about what to do just off the ship. Thanks.

Piggy back away! Your ship might be docking in a different spot, as you are with a different cruiseline, but hopefully we can both get the information we're looking for.

Enjoy your cruise!

Never had an issue in Roatan, felt much safer than in Belize to be honest :eek:

Yeah, from what I have read about Belize you really have to watch yourself. Haven't heard anything bad about Roatan. We are probably just going to exit the ship and wing it. I believe NCL docks in a different location then Mahogany Bay, so we'll have to figure it out.