Sapphire 10/2 Review Part 1.

catmand

Hi all, I will see if I can do this in 10 minutes or less.

Who: Catmand (chuck) and AkaWanda (wanda)

Cruise: Our third, second Princess, one Celebrity

Where: Mexico 10 day. S.F. round trip stops, Catalina, Cabo, P.V., Mazatlan, San Diego.

When: 10/2/04-10/12

We are both mid 50's, discovered the WWC (wonderful world of cruising) in Sept. of 2003 when we did a 7 day Alaska on the Star. Have now done that, an 8 day on Celebrity Mercury and this 10 day on Sapphire.

Embarkation at Pier 35 in San Francisco. week end traffic is terrible on the Embarcadero which is the street the pier is on. It took us about 30 minutes from home to S.F. and about that to get from the off ramp in the City to a few blocks before the pier which is where we just had our Daughter drop us off, faster to walk the last couple of blocks. What I would SUGGEST is this, if you are driving and have someone dropping you off, or if parking in the garage, take a good look at a S.F. map and do not exit at Embarcedero but take another freeway off ramp (going beyond or before that exit depending on the direction you are comming from) then go through surface streets until you get to Kerney (sp? maybe Kearney) and take that down towards the piers, it will intersect Embarcedero just accross the street from pier 35-37, just walk across the street and there you are. I hope this is understandable, just look at a map, I would bet this could save 30 minutes on a week end day.

We got to pier 35 around 11:30am.........we were on board, had dropped off our carry ons and were actually up in the Horizon by 11:55. Check in took all of 20 minutes, TOPS. and we actually hade a nice embarkation picture taken.

The ship is beautiful.

Now most of this is subjective and just our opinion and you know the joke about those.

We were in C-512 balcony on Caribe, loved the size and the half covered/half open balcony. It was funished with two chairs a table and also two chairs that reclined, not flat but enough so that I fell asleep out there a couple of nights.

There were two productions shows, Undercover and Piano Man. Undercover was really cute we saw it twice. Piano man, well ok but that type of music is not our thing. There were many, many things going on every night, for people who like to be entertained, there just HAD to be something to "float your boat". We saw a fellow by the name of Kevin Hughes, we had seen him on Star. A very insightful guy who talks about relationships in a very entertaining way. There were aslo other comics, jugglers, comic jugglers, magicians, singers, piano playing crooners, string quartets....a never ending supply of fun, games, and assorted things to do. The cruise director was Alaister Greener (sp?) he and staff were EVERYWHERE 24 hours a day.

We thought the food in Horizon very good, much improved from trip on Star. BUT the set-up of the food courts really does stink if more than 20 people are trying to get at the food. They also have things in different places like over there for toast, over here is the butter and on another area the jam. Breakfast hot cereal is stuck in a corner etc. The secret is: go when it ain't crowded OR be prepared to have a smile on your kisser when you get stepped on and elbowed! Selection was abundent, lots of smoked fish, bagels and lox which I love and to be honest, is to damn expensive to buy often. I sure didn't make a pig of myself but I did eat a lot of what I don't get at home. I still think the coffee is swill, but better in the dining rooms (?)

Dinners: We never made reservations. One night we did want to eat at a table alone, it was at 8, we were asked to come back at 8:15, which we did, table was ready. All other nights we had no wait. Sometimes we ate at a large table with others, other times alone. Loved the duck and the seafood main dishes in Pacific Moon, we ate there 3 times. There are 4 different rooms, each has it's own menu which you can order from OR the regular rotating traditional menu as well. So you are given 2 menus and can mix, match or just close your eyes and point at something. They were cooking, we were eating, no complaints from us.

Pools and spas were always open and you could always find one that was quiet, heck there are 5 pools and about 9 hot tubs. Wanda had 2 spa visits and said it was so much nicer, friendly and not a all pushy, much better run by Princess. They have the attitude that this turned a whole bunch of people off so they do noy hesitate to let you know "we are not Stiener" (sp). You can go on line and check the spa treatments, prices and make reservations. They aren't cheap that's for sure and since she booked the prices went up about 15% but they did of course honor the booked pricing. I guess there is no price to high when it comes to keeping the wife happy, right guys!

Oh, just remembered..........there is NO CHARGE for room service. There is a place on the back of the ticket to sign as proof of delievery and there is a place for a gratuity if you WANT them to add it to your bill, but you can just give the guy a couple of bucks and that's it. Nothing has changed with R.S.

Latte', Caps and Espresso.....charge is 1.50-3.00 depending on what you order. There WAS talk of a "coffee card" like the soda card but I couldn't get a difinitive answer from anyone on staff. Everyone I asked had a different version of, what it is, is it on this ship, how much etc. The best I could figure is SOMWHERE on a Princess ship they MAY HAVE a "coffee card" 15 coffees for 20-25 bucks. This may be testing on a ship somewhere and may have even been on Sapphire but again, never got a for sure, this is it answer.

Not all was GREAT and there were a few communication breakdowns that I will write about later. If you have any questions ask away, I will finish this up later tonight or tomorrow, it is getting on supper time and no one is in the galley fixing us dinner.

Wonderful, fabulous, thanks for taking the time to post your review. I leave on the Sapphire in less than 6 weeks, and the excitement level is building, and will no doubt skyrocket with your review.

I was especially glad (make that ecstatic) to read that you had no issues with PC dining. After some of the recent Diamond posts, I was afraid I would develop an ulcer dealing with those kinds of issues for 30 nights!

What was your favorite part of the ship?

Is it worth bringing quarters for the laundry, or can I get them on board?

How is the current pool in the spa area?

Were the hot tubs good and hot? :D

Was there sushi??

I'm sure I'll think of more questions, but, again, thanks for the review.

Hi, This is Mrs. Catmand, I can answer a couple of your questions. There is a change machine in the laundry, the washers a dollar, dryers a dollar for 20 minutes and they have soap/clorox2 and fabric softener (all a dollar each). There were people in and out of Laundry, but never had to wait for machine. They also have 2 ironing board/irons.

There was sushi in the buffet, but I don't remember how often.

We did not try the current pool, which is located by the lotus spa.

The hot tub we were in one night was warm, but other peaple in different tubs said they were hot.

They are constantly cleaning and testing the water in the pools/tubs.

No one favorite spot, it varied according to our moods.

One night we had the most fantastic lightning "show" on our way down to PV. We went to our balcony to watch and were listening to the oohs and aaahs from us and others watching, realy beautiful.

I am sure you will have a great time, I certainly did.

Akawanda

Wanda about covered it, I especially liked the aft end of the ship. With Skywalkers moving forward it opened up the back end and it is beautiful. I can't imagine why anyone would have problems with PC dining, as long as you are a just a little flexable, heck there is a "elbow room" thread going on right now, peoplw want a table for two AND have it far away from all others.........no ones elbows are going to end up in your souffle', trust me.

I will add more to the story a little leter tonight or tomorrow. Thanks for your questions.

I've been waiting for your review with great anticipation! Sounds pretty good so far. Can you expand on your opinion on the Caribe deck? We will be taking our 18 year old so will need a 3 person cabin, which I believe you didn't have (not the 18 y/o, unless it was one of your cats you snuck on). Just want to know if that proved to be a convenient location to all the other fun stuff.

How was sailing under the GGB? How were the seas? Did you meet with all the other great folks on the roll call???

Can you tell I'm excited for answers!! OK, I'll be patient and let you tell your story. But, But, But, can't wait for pictures! (I'll get a grip now)

Shawilson: I will answer your questions and finish the review a little later. We were in 512 which is mid-ship so yes, that was very centeral loation for everything. It is deck #10. There is no 13 so it's just 3 below the Lido..FOOD & POOLS...and FOOD. and just 3 above the Promanade deck which is where the atrim begins, the upper level of the Princess theater is and also Club Fusion and two of the large bars. Walking distance to everything.

Sailing under the Gate both out, and back was amazing. We were at the aft end on deck 14, there were about 20 or so of us CC'ers that YES, met on the roll call boards. We met up right after the muster drill and about 30 minutes before sail-a-way. Going under the gate, there were people waving from the bridge and also from the Marin shore. It felt like you could reach up and touch the bridge, it is magical.

More on Part 2 of the review.

Hi everyone: I also was on this cruise with Catmand and I can back up some of the subjects he talked about. One was the food in the Horizon Court. It has greatly improved in my opinion. This was our 6th Princess cruise and I can state that the food was great, although once in a while, especially at breakfast the food turned cold very fast by the time you sat at the table. Otherwise the dinner entries were very much greatly improved.

As for pc dining and reservations: not once did I make reservations as we do eat early around 5:30 to 6:00 p.m. and always got in right away. We always requested a 4 to 8 people table and met some great people that way.

The ship is beautiful, never felt crowded, the ship was sold out, and the 2600 plus people were scattered in such a way that you did not feel that you were in a crowded ship. While we are on that subject I now have been on Princess ships that sailed 2600 Sapphire down to 670 Pacific Princess 2 passengers and I can safely say that I much prefer the mid size such as 1500 to 1950 passengers especially the sun-class ships. I certainly hope that Princess builds medium size ships but do not think that will happen.

If anyone has any question regarding the Sapphire ask away.

Marilyn

I have heard conflicting reports about the Sapphire/Diamond PC dining. Some people have experienced where you can order off of any theme restaurant menu in any other theme restaurant, in addition to the traditional menu. ie. If my friend wants Asian one night, and I want Southwestern, we can go into either Pacific Moon or Santa Fe and both get what we want. Did you find this to be true?

Assuming it is true...which of the PC restaurants did you most enjoy dining in, or, since we won't have a favorite when we first board, where do you suggest we dine the first night? Decisions, decisions! :D

Did you happen to notice what the price was for the thermal suites?

Thanks everyone. I'm to the point of fine tuning our cruise!

JMB410, check out part 2 of the review, it looks like everyone is missing that one for some reason.

No, on Sapphire you got 2 menus in each place. 1 was the traditional and the other the one that was for that place only. Example, our favorite was the Pacific Moon, when we sat down we were given the traditional menu AND the Pacific Moon menu which had sushi, a dim sum sample basket, several other appitizers etc AND the 2 entrees for that resturant..........a seafood mix and a duck both Delicious.

I really think there is some confussion here. We were NEVER given the Sterling menu when we were in the Vivaldi or the Moon. It makes no sence that the Diamond would be one way/the Sapphire another but hey, what do I know.

soda card for the 10 day 25 bucks with sippy cup.

thermal suites.........................duh! sorry.

I will back up Chuck in that whatever restaurant you chose to eat, for example Vivaldi you only got the Vivaldi and the regular international menu. One night we ate at the Southwestern restaurant and by the way the gucamole was fabulous, you only got that menu plus the international.

I also have a comment about the embarkation in the San Francisco terminal. I have sailed a total of three times out of S.F. and boy have they greatly improved the embarkation system. Last year while on the Pacific Princess out of S.F. it was a zoo and no co-ordination at all. I felt like I was in a cattle car. I think once the Sapphire came to S.F. and the size of the ship they had to do something to improve the situation. And they have, big time. Also the debarkation was as smooth as silk. No complaints at all from me.

Marilyn

Just a comment about ordering from another of the Anytime restaurants on Sapphire – according to Cruise News Daily, this is not advertised and you’re not given the menu for one of the other restaurants, but if you ask for it, they will accommodate you.

Bdjam, never was offered, heck I had enough difficulity ordering from two menus, if I had been given 3 I know I would have blown a circut, thanks for the info.
Yeah – CND sort of indicated they didn’t offer the service, but you had to know to ask. But apparently the galleys for each of the four restaurants are in the same area, so it’s easy for the staff to go from one to another.

Fig............thanks for the reply. Billy was the C.D. when we sailed Star, I found him to be the exact image of what I thought a C.D. would be, schmaltzy in a 'Vegas lounge lizzard kind of way. But this is all so subjective. Alastair was everywhere what he didn't host a fellow named Neil did and he was great. We were watching the cooking demo and Alastair said "I usually make chicken ding when I am home"........."You put the chicken in the micro wave, turn the timer and when it foes DING, you have chicken" Very funny guy.

Jim.have you read the deal about the cofee card?.talk about lack of communication, what do you think about that?

We very much enjoyed the PC venues, choosing between traditional and the always the same daily menu for the PC ones, the tables for two were very enjoyable and conversations always extended through 4-6 people. My only trouble was I was used to using the same bottle of wine for several nights and if we ate on different floors from the previous dinner they sometimes had trouble finding the bottle.

Catmand and Mrs. Catmand,

I'm so glad to hear that the PC dining went off without a hitch on the Sapphire. I was one of those on the Diamond a couple weeks ago who was less than thrilled with THAT supposed PC experience, but that aside, we did love the ship. We too were on the Star as well.

So glad to hear that you could just walk on up and eat without hassle, or

eat with others.

Maybe husband and I will try the Sapphire next year to Mexico!

Catmand, thank you so much for your great review. I'm the troublemaker with the elbow thread.;) Only started it after reading so many awful reviews about PC dining on the Diamond. Really got me worried, so great to read your positive review. Hassle for 19 nights is not what we are looking for!! Your cruise sounds wonderful, can't wait to read parts 2 and 3!

Thanks again

Sue :)

We are going on the Nov 11th sailing of the Sapphire. I know there are 2 formal nights and I know they are on sea days, but can anyone tell me exactly which days they are. I want to book massages for me and my wife, and I like to do them, on sea days and late in the afternoon, but don't want to do them on the formal nights.

Thanks,

Lon

Catmand,

Loving your review. I had very much the same experience on the 9/22 voyage. We also had no problems with PC (anytime) dining. My companions really liked going to the different dining rooms.

We are going on the Nov 11th sailing of the Sapphire. I know there are 2 formal nights and I know they are on sea days, but can anyone tell me exactly which days they are. I want to book massages for me and my wife, and I like to do them, on sea days and late in the afternoon, but don't want to do them on the formal nights.

Thanks, Lon

I'll jump in since I'm here. Formal nights are on the 3rd night (sea day after Catalina)and 8th (sea day after Cabo) nights.

On to Part 2!

Archived