Convince me to get off the ship in Costa Maya. :-)

loopner

I'm just not seeing anything terribly exciting in Costa Maya. Maybe I haven't dug far enough.

I have no interest in seeing the ruins.

I don't care about finding a bar to go drinking.

I *would* like to do a little authentic shopping.

A nice lunch would be fine - but it needs to be worth it. (I mean we can eat on the ship)

We will be bringing snorkeling maks / fins on board with us but are new to the experience. If we do that, we need to have somewhere that does NOT have a long walk on beach sand as we'll have my Mom with us.

Can you help me get excited about Costa Maya? Really I'm not hard to please (just sounds it by the way I'm writing) I don't want to regret not enjoying both our ports.

Thank for your help / advice!

Unfortunately, there's little "authentic shopping" in Costa Maya. The cruise port has the typical cruise port places with their over priced merchandise. Along the malecon there are some small kiosks with some "native" items, but you can get the same things in Cozumel.

But you should get off the ship and head toward the malecon. Its a short taxi ride. It's a paved boardwalk like place with loungers and you can snorkel there, but it's not the best snorkeling opportunity. I'd leave the snorkel gear on the ship. No charge for using the loungers but they do ask you to buy something while there. All the places along the malecon have food and drink. Better food and service are at Blue Kay (based on recent reviews), Tropicante (long time rep for good food and service) El Faro next door to Tropicante, YaYas just a few steps south and then Pez Quadro. Walk to the water is short at any of these places. All offer massages at around $20, cheaper than the ship.

You can use your own snorkel gear on a ship snorkeling excursion. The ship excursions usually head up to Uvero Beach which is north of the port and a bit more isolated. You snorkel from shore. There are loungers, food and drink there for your Mom too. Most ship excursions along Non-snorkelers on these for a lower price.

We just returned last Saturday.

If you are looking for excitement or something to get excited about you may be disappointed.

If you want to see what Mexico looks like before it's overwhelmed with visitors and tourists then this is the place you want to be.

Our biggest regret was having to leave and board the ship at the end of the day.

Please check out my review of Blue Kay. It's 5 minutes away from the port (you can still see the ship right there from the beach) and only cost $3 pp to get there by open air bus.

It's a beautiful beach. It's located at the very beginning of the Malecon. Easy access and not much walking involved from where you are dropped off.

The snorkeling is super easy and you can go out far, but still be able to stand. Plenty of fish and coral.

The best part, it's free. Just purchase your food and drinks there and have a great time. The 3 of us stayed there the entire day eating and drinking and only spent $48.

I have a full review listed in my signature line with over 100 pictures of the place. :)

Please check out my review of Blue Kay. It's 5 minutes away from the port (you can still see the ship right there from the beach) and only cost $3 pp to get there by open air bus.

It's a beautiful beach. It's located at the very beginning of the Malecon. Easy access and not much walking involved from where you are dropped off.

The snorkeling is super easy and you can go out far, but still be able to stand. Plenty of fish and coral.

The best part, it's free. Just purchase your food and drinks there and have a great time. The 3 of us stayed there the entire day eating and drinking and only spent $48.

I have a full review listed in my signature line with over 100 pictures of the place. :)

Wow! I think you have me convinced!! I had heard about Senor Frogs and all but really don't care to follow the crowds.

Is this the correct link? http://www.bluekaymahahual.com

I'm going to pass the info onto my Mom and see what she thinks. My biggest question is about transportation. Can you get a cab at the port closer than the trolley? Anything we can do to cut down on her walking would be good - plus we can probably bring her scooter with a cab. Won't work with the trolley.

Now I just need a fairy godmother to send me an underwater camera. :-) Your pics were fantastic!

I think I could enjoy spending the day snorkeling, exploring, having a few drinks and some good food! I am definitely not a sit on a lounger all day kind of gal!

Did you pay in dollars? Or did you exchange before arriving?

Wow! I think you have me convinced!! I had heard about Senor Frogs and all but really don't care to follow the crowds.

Is this the correct link? http://www.bluekaymahahual.com

I'm going to pass the info onto my Mom and see what she thinks. My biggest question is about transportation. Can you get a cab at the port closer than the trolley? Anything we can do to cut down on her walking would be good - plus we can probably bring her scooter with a cab. Won't work with the trolley.

Now I just need a fairy godmother to send me an underwater camera. :-) Your pics were fantastic!

I think I could enjoy spending the day snorkeling, exploring, having a few drinks and some good food! I am definitely not a sit on a lounger all day kind of gal!

Yes, that is their site. It looks to me like they are working on it more now than when I last went on there (before my cruise 3 months ago) and it looks like they are trying to come up with an AI package for cruisers. I wonder if they are going to require people to pay to go there now?

Did you pay in dollars? Or did you exchange before arriving?

Yes, US $$

I wonder if they are going to require people to pay to go there now?

I had that same thought when checking the website. I've got months before I go, so I'll look into it further this Fall to see what the current plan is. At least it seems like a nice place where I'm not going to be paying a ton just to sit on a beach.

Time will tell ....

I had that same thought when checking the website. I've got months before I go, so I'll look into it further this Fall to see what the current plan is. At least it seems like a nice place where I'm not going to be paying a ton just to sit on a beach.

Time will tell ....

You can always email them and ask. I emailed them several times before my cruise and they usually responded pretty quickly. I think there was once they didn't reply back and I emailed again and they replied asap. Just ask them if you are required to book a package or can you just show up and eat and drink while you are there with them. :)

I'm just not seeing anything terribly exciting in Costa Maya. Maybe I haven't dug far enough.

I have no interest in seeing the ruins.

I don't care about finding a bar to go drinking.

I *would* like to do a little authentic shopping.

A nice lunch would be fine - but it needs to be worth it. (I mean we can eat on the ship)

We will be bringing snorkeling maks / fins on board with us but are new to the experience. If we do that, we need to have somewhere that does NOT have a long walk on beach sand as we'll have my Mom with us.

Can you help me get excited about Costa Maya? Really I'm not hard to please (just sounds it by the way I'm writing) I don't want to regret not enjoying both our ports.

Thank for your help / advice!

Based on your criteria unless you want to go to the beach you should just stay on the ship.

You're not going to find authentic shopping - whatever that is - the port area is a cruise ship owned and run facility, they control everything from prices to food.

If you want to take a short taxi ride to the beach it is doable, and you will have some better options, about food, but not about shopping, it is all tourist junk.

The beach in this area is at best so so for snorkeling because it is flat and sandy for the most part.

This is a good day to spend on the ship enjoying the reduced prices in teh spa and the empty feeling with most people ashore.

Edited by zqvol

You can always email them and ask. I emailed them several times before my cruise and they usually responded pretty quickly. I think there was once they didn't reply back and I emailed again and they replied asap. Just ask them if you are required to book a package or can you just show up and eat and drink while you are there with them. :)

I have been interested in visiting Blue Kay during our cruise in May. We were planning just to catch a cab and freelance. But today I went on the website and sent them an inquiry about reserving/paying a deposit. We'll see what they say.

I have been interested in visiting Blue Kay during our cruise in May. We were planning just to catch a cab and freelance. But today I went on the website and sent them an inquiry about reserving/paying a deposit. We'll see what they say.

Please let us know too

"looper" ... Based on you desires, you might enjoy just staying on the ship

It's possible I didn't state myslef accurately. Just going to a restaurant or bar doesn't appeal to me. And paying a ton of money to go to a "private beach" is also not enjoyable to me. I'll constantly be wondering if the cost was worth it. Additionally, I'm not one to just lay out at a beach.

I think Blue Kay may be the happy medium I am looking for. We'll be bringing our own snorkel gear but at this point, we have no experience. We're hoping to learn this summer so our first time isn't in Mexico. But, the fact that it appear shallow for awhile and there is still sea life to view is very promising.

Having a couple of drinks with sme reasonable priced food sounds like a good time to me. Maybe not all day - but for a few hours anyway.

It's possible I didn't state myslef accurately. Just going to a restaurant or bar doesn't appeal to me. And paying a ton of money to go to a "private beach" is also not enjoyable to me. I'll constantly be wondering if the cost was worth it. Additionally, I'm not one to just lay out at a beach.

I think Blue Kay may be the happy medium I am looking for. We'll be bringing our own snorkel gear but at this point, we have no experience. We're hoping to learn this summer so our first time isn't in Mexico. But, the fact that it appear shallow for awhile and there is still sea life to view is very promising.

Having a couple of drinks with sme reasonable priced food sounds like a good time to me. Maybe not all day - but for a few hours anyway.

I just want to say a few things about you being a first time snorkeler and this place.

First, snorkeling in the Caribbean salt water is easier than trying to snorkel...say, in a pool or a lake or river. When you are in salt water, you have more buoyancy and it's super easy to float.

This place has rocks across it (out a little bit) which kind of protects it and the water is real calm, of course making it even easier...even when swimming out to the little reef/snorkeling area by the rocks.

Second, RIGHT BY THE EDGE of the beach are some really big rocks as soon as you walk in to the right (past the volleyball net toward the end) and even right there in that area, you'll find plenty of fish hanging out. If you stand up in this area, it will probably be about knee deep or shallower. This makes it an excellent place to just practice. Just get down on your knees, straighten your body and float. Some areas you can even push yourself around with your hands and just observe.

In this area alone, I found a HUGE trumpet fish hanging out and no matter how many times I left and came back, he was still there.

PB130114%20copy-M.jpg

PB130109%20copy-M.jpg

There was also a really nice sized flounder (the flat fish that have both eyes on the top of them and blend in with their surroundings). This was the first time that I had ever seen one of these and he was just so fun to watch.

PB130099%20copy-M.jpg

PB130101%20copy-M.jpg

Of course you will see you normal fish that you always see when snorkeling and school fish as well. This area is just a "starter" area for you if you are uneasy with starting off.

It's all right here.

PB130371%20copy-M.jpg

Of course you can go out a little to the area that has a little more sea grass (but you can still stand up here), which you'll notice the darker area in the picture above just right past the volleyball neat, and you'll find things like conch shells, crabs and other little cuties like this cowfish (I love them, they are all puckered up looking like they are ready to kiss you and have these little horns).

PB130118%20copy-M.jpg

Edited by mitsugirly

Then once you get use to the snorkeling portion by the edge, head on out toward the rocks. It's a little ways out there, but shallow and you can stand up most of the way. You'll cross a small section that gets maybe 6-7' with a dip, then it goes back up to being shallow again. You are basically right by the rocks.

This is me once I made it out there looking back at the beach area. Yes, I was standing up when I took the picture.

PB130230%20copy-M.jpg

By no means would I call this area a "reef" I guess, but there's plenty out there to see with a lot of fish, sea fans, a lot of rocks with goodies in them and tons of live soft and hard coral as well. Definitely a great place to explore and especially for anyone who is a first timer or still a little freaked out about swimming in places that are too deep.

PB130226%20copy-M.jpg

PB130231%20copy-M.jpg

PB130251%20copy-M.jpg

PB130254%20copy-M.jpg

I seriously think it's an awesome place, especially for "learning" to snorkel in shallow water. Even though I'm a pretty experienced snorkeler, I got a lot of thrill out of this area and what I did see and it's definitely a place I will return to. Since I have a daughter, who is now 6 and has been snorkeling with us since age 3, I always try to find the best beach snorkeling I can for her and this place was perfect.

Have fun even if it's only for a few hours.

I seriously think it's an awesome place, especially for "learning" to snorkel in shallow water. Even though I'm a pretty experienced snorkeler, I got a lot of thrill out of this area and what I did see and it's definitely a place I will return to. Since I have a daughter, who is now 6 and has been snorkeling with us since age 3, I always try to find the best beach snorkeling I can for her and this place was perfect.

Have fun even if it's only for a few hours.

We already have the equipment. (Thank you LL Bean Visa coupons!) I got them now so we can try them this summer. We spend a lot of time at a lake, so it will give us opportuniites to get used to it. I learned YEARS ago when I got licensed as a lifeguard, but I don't think my husband has and my son has not. They're both good swimmers so nothing to worry about there.

I figure that learning in the lake will be easier - especially if my son really wants to use the snorkel. Sucking in sea water is not always pleasant. ;-) It seems like we might not even need them from the descriptions - but hey, new fun stuff to try.

UPDATE

I just wanted to pass along some more information for those that have asked...

I contacted my resource at Blue Kay (the person that I emailed back and forth with questions prior to me going there) to ask about the new AI package options and if you had to purchase one in order to go there now.

He told me that it is just an option for cruisers and you are not required to purchase any package and any cruisers are welcome to just come and hang out and purchase food and drinks on your own.

So I thought I would pass along this info. :)

UPDATE

I just wanted to pass along some more information for those that have asked...

I contacted my resource at Blue Kay (the person that I emailed back and forth with questions prior to me going there) to ask about the new AI package options and if you had to purchase one in order to go there now.

He told me that it is just an option for cruisers and you are not required to purchase any package and any cruisers are welcome to just come and hang out and purchase food and drinks on your own.

So I thought I would pass along this info. :)

Thanks for doing the extra leg work! I'll still probably check again in the Fall since who knows what can change in 6 months, but I'm still excited to visit!

(should have seen me trying on my new mask & fins / flippers? the other day. I was like a 5 year old with a new toy!)

Thanks for doing the extra leg work! I'll still probably check again in the Fall since who knows what can change in 6 months, but I'm still excited to visit!

(should have seen me trying on my new mask & fins / flippers? the other day. I was like a 5 year old with a new toy!)

Not a problem at all. I figured since I had corresponded with someone there for awhile asking a million questions prior to my trip, and still had his email saved, I figured why not just email then again (with my previous emails in it so they might remember me <---don't know if that's good or bad lol) to see if I could get a quick answer...and I did.

He did state that their "cruisers" have increased since I went there and thanked me. :D

one woman marketing team!

LOL, I know right. The hubby said I should hit him up next time I'm there for some free drinks or food. :p But they were super nice to us that day and did give my daughter some free ice cream, let us use the lockers for free and a free piece of cheesecake I think it was. :) All this because we spent $48 (and they thought that was a huge amount and we deserved some "freebies") Awesome place I tell ya.