Time of flight from Fort Lauderdale

stromer

I will be getting off the Celebrity Equinox on Apr 27 at Fort Lauderdale Term 18 and need to estimate the time it will take me to get to the Miami Airport so I can book a flight home. Can anyone tell me the earliest I could get to Miami using a taxi to the Tri train station to the airport?

Thanks.

Forget TriRail. I think they are still working on station so you get off train, then are bused to airport And they are often late.. Locals never use them. You can get one of many shared. shuttles from ship to MIA.Allow 1 hr. travel time.Look up many discussions on FL. port section here.

I will be happy to answer your question as long as you understand what you will be undertaking:

Taxi from Port Everglades to train station in Monday morning rush hour traffic;

An unmanned station with hard-to-decipher ticket machines in downtown Ft Lauderdale (Broward Blvd); you may be better off going to the Ft Lauderdale Airport rail station which has a ticket booth, but the cab ride will be longer and costlier;

A shuttle bus from the Hialeah Market rail station to MIA, on a bus with a standard narrow door with no accommodation for luggage;

The bus dropping you off at the arrivals level of the Central terminal: you will have to carry your luggage (unless you find an abandoned cart) from there to the departures level of the terminal you fly out of (North if AA or US, South for other domestic airlines).

Still with me? Extract from relevant timetables:

Train depart Ft Lauderdale sta 8:35 9:05 10:08 11:08

Train depart FLL airport sta 8:43 9:13 10:17 11:17

Train arrive Hialeah Market sta 9:19 9:49 10:54 11:54

Shuttle bus depart Hialeah Market sta 9:21 9:51 10:5611:58

Shuttle bus arrive MIA lower garage 9:34 10:03 11:08 12:10

Odds of making 8:35 train: roughly nil, though the next poster may well say they have easily done so

Odds of making 9:05 train: somewhere under 50/50, same caveat as above

Odds of making 10:08 train: assuming zero clearance or customs delays at the port, call it decent...

So assuming you make that train and the following shuttle, you may be in line at the bag drop around 11:30; achieving that, you may be in line for security by 12:00. So I would say you have a passable no-margin-for-error chance at making a 1:30 flight--but a Plan B is essential.

Full Tri-Rail southbound timetable

Full shuttle bus schedule

Edited by fishywood

PE to MIA is one trip where, unless you are travelling with a group of 3-4, the cruise line transfer bus for about $30-35 per person is a good deal. The drive from PE to MIA takes about an hour and I would not book any flight before noon, and preferably after 1:00.

A taxi will run about $80+ and private car service will be a bit more. A few shuttles (American, Super Shuttle) will make the run for about what the cruise line charges.

If you want to spend hours on the Tri-Rail to save a few $$, it is your vacation.

Going from FLL to Miami.....I would either 1) use the Cruiseline Transfer

or 2) take a cab. I also agree with John, book a flight starting at 1:00pm

or later.