Age restriction

It's not just ship's tours that have age restrictions. Some private ones do too. And it's probably a liability insurance issue as another poster mentioned.

The funny thing to me is when the age limit is on the top end like 80. There are 80 year olds living in a 65 year old body and 65 year olds living in an 80 year old body. Physical and mental capacity I can see but ageism not so much.:)

The funny thing to me is when the age limit is on the top end like 80. There are 80 year olds living in a 65 year old body and 65 year olds living in an 80 year old body. Physical and mental capacity I can see but ageism not so much.:)

Maybe true, but age is the only objective measure that they can use. Anything else is too subjective and leaves the decision up to someone's individual judgement - which the insurance companies would probably not accept as a guideline. And I also agree it is an insurance based decision likely driven by the insurance company and not the excursion provider.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Reading this makes me sad ...Imagine being told your too old to do something. Have they not heard 80 is the new 60? My Great Grandad was still hiking, sailing and completely independent well into his centenary years

It is sad especially if it's something that the person wants to cross off their bucket list. Since you probably have to sign a waiver relinquishing the company of any responsibility if something goes wrong it's a little over kill to stop a fit and capable 80 year old from having some fun.

Reading this makes me sad ...Imagine being told your too old to do something. Have they not heard 80 is the new 60? My Great Grandad was still hiking, sailing and completely independent well into his centenary years

It is sad especially if it's something that the person wants to cross off their bucket list. Since you probably have to sign a waiver relinquishing the company of any responsibility if something goes wrong it's a little over kill to stop a fit and capable 80 year old from having some fun.

Seems like somebody needs to sue... I suppose that cruise lines not based in the U.S.A. cannot be sued in American court, but in my opinion an arbitrary cut-off of X years is age discrimination, and I don't like it one bit!

I began to be concerned about this when I read that a snorkel excursion on a recent cruise had an age limit of 80. I thought to myself, "Man, I only have twenty more years to snorkel???" It made me sad, then angry. I am being serious, BTW.

I guess I will have to wait and see if I am in good shape at 80, and if I want (for example) to snorkel, I'll have to make it happen somehow.

Don't know how this post got around to dealing with 80 year old age restrictions? OP's earlier post was regarding a niece 9 years old wanting to go on an excursion limited to 10 or older. If that is the case for this post then no, they will not allow it.

Don't know how this post got around to dealing with 80 year old age restrictions? OP's earlier post was regarding a niece 9 years old wanting to go on an excursion limited to 10 or older. If that is the case for this post then no, they will not allow it.

There is no mention on the actual age of the cruiser as far as I can tell on this thread. Can you please direct me to the post # that states the age of the cruiser as I must have missed it. :)

Thanks for the input. Our original excursion was canceled. We r trying to find another one. But it's up in the air customer service says to ask when on the ship...

I wonder why they told you to ask while on the ship. This is strange to me. Have you thought about researching private excursions. Perhaps you can find a similar private excursion that doesn't have an age restriction. Good Luck:)

For younger participants who are 'on the edge', it comes down to how well behaved and attentive they are, IMHO.

If a tour was restricted to age 10+, the operator might overlook a 9 year old who is following directions, responding to interactions (i.e. won't spend the safety briefing playing on his phone). Particularly if the youngster isn't small for his age/ appears younger.

A child who is a teeny little thing, mumbles at the floor and clings to you, you're less likely to get waved on through. From the operator's point of view, they want guests who are ready to go, follow instructions, don't have to be coaxed to let go (zip lining) or cry. Keeps the tour moving, after all.

I've organized plenty of scout, school and church trips. The maturity of the child always played as much a role as the age/grade in making decisions.