Marriott Sydney Harbour

floralscent

I am trying to decided between the Marriott Sydney Harbour and The Intercontinental for our one night stay in Sydney prior to sailing on the Solstice in December 2015.

Ideally we would like a hotel in a location that we could just walk out the door of the hotel to Circular Quay/the Overseas Passenger Terminal. Has anyone stayed in either of these hotels recently? If so, did you find the walking to be easy from these hotels? I have looked at a satellite view map and it looks like an easy walk but maps can often be misleading. :) I should mention that we are both in good shape to walk but I think about pulling luggage, etc and wonder how the walk is?

How did you find the quality of either of these hotels to be? Any construction going on or are either of them in need of construction and showing age?

Thank so much...I am having difficulty finding reviews from cruise travelers that are recent.

I am trying to decided between the Marriott Sydney Harbour and The Intercontinental for our one night stay in Sydney prior to sailing on the Solstice in December 2015.

Ideally we would like a hotel in a location that we could just walk out the door of the hotel to Circular Quay/the Overseas Passenger Terminal. Has anyone stayed in either of these hotels recently? If so, did you find the walking to be easy from these hotels? I have looked at a satellite view map and it looks like an easy walk but maps can often be misleading. :) I should mention that we are both in good shape to walk but I think about pulling luggage, etc and wonder how the walk is?

How did you find the quality of either of these hotels to be? Any construction going on or are either of them in need of construction and showing age?

Thank so much...I am having difficulty finding reviews from cruise travelers that are recent.

Both of these hotels are of international standard.

Marriot Sydney Harbour is closer and provides flat walking.

Intercontinental is slightly higher standard and good enough for the President of your country to stay in. On elevated land hence a downhill walk to Circular Quay but twice the distance yet still easily walkable.

My decision would be based on how much time i have on day of arrival to do some sightseeing and value for money. The HoHo bus stop is near both. Botanic gardens and Opera House is closer to Intercontinental.

Shopping area in Pitt St mall is easy flat walk straight up Pitt St from Marriott. Cafe's at Circular Quay and near hotel is handier to Marriott.

Either hotel is fine but i would be wanting a harbour view room so which hotel gives best price?

Intercontinental is slightly higher standard and good enough for the President of your country to stay in. On elevated land hence a downhill walk to Circular Quay but twice the distance yet still easily walkable.

My decision would be based on how much time i have on day of arrival to do some sightseeing and value for money. The HoHo bus stop is near both. Botanic gardens and Opera House is closer to Intercontinental.

Shopping area in Pitt St mall is easy flat walk straight up Pitt St from Marriott. Cafe's at Circular Quay and near hotel is handier to Marriott.

Either hotel is fine but i would be wanting a harbour view room so which hotel gives best price?

Agree.

Ideally we would like a hotel in a location that we could just walk out the door of the hotel to Circular Quay/the Overseas Passenger Terminal

If you literally want that then have a look at the Park Hyatt (not sure if it's in your budget but you won't get closer to the OPT)

Great information Cassamanda! Would you estimate the walk from the Marriott to be 10 minutes or so to the Overseas Passenger Terminal?

What is your opinion on the Holiday Inn that GUT2407 mentions? I should mention that we don't like rundown hotels or those that need a renovation badly.

Great information Cassamanda! Would you estimate the walk from the Marriott to be 10 minutes or so to the Overseas Passenger Terminal?

What is your opinion on the Holiday Inn that GUT2407 mentions? I should mention that we don't like rundown hotels or those that need a renovation badly.

Holiday Inn at the Rocks is built into an old converted warehouse, in keeping with the local ambience. It offers a great location at a great price for the area , is clean and tidy , but could be described by some , as "tired".

Thank you for all the great info.! I think we have narrowed it down to the Marriott Sydney Harbour...I think so anyway :). Price is decent, hotel seems decent enough, breakfast is included and location seems close to the Overseas Passenger Terminal and Circular Quay, etc.

Am I wrong to assume that people walk from the Marriott Sydney Harbour to the Overseas Passenger Terminal with their luggage? Is this a correct assumption or do most hail a taxi instead of going on foot?

Thank you for all the great info.! I think we have narrowed it down to the Marriott Sydney Harbour...I think so anyway :). Price is decent, hotel seems decent enough, breakfast is included and location seems close to the Overseas Passenger Terminal and Circular Quay, etc.

Am I wrong to assume that people walk from the Marriott Sydney Harbour to the Overseas Passenger Terminal with their luggage? Is this a correct assumption or do most hail a taxi instead of going on foot?

There will be some of each, depending on how fit you are and how much luggage you have it is about 700 meters so a pretty easy walk and about $5 in a taxi.

I could almost throw a baseball from the Marriott to Circular Quay station:)

It is a flat walk of one block to the promenade that surrounds the waterfront. A comfortable stroll even with luggage. Taxi needs to go around the block the long way due to Pitt St being one way.

Holiday Inn is the closest but not sure of the layout of the newly refurbished terminal with respect to the baggage drop off area. Will have to check it out.

If baggage drop off is where it always was then Marriott would be closest for the that.

I could almost throw a baseball from the Marriott to Circular Quay station:)

It is a flat walk of one block to the promenade that surrounds the waterfront. A comfortable stroll even with luggage. Taxi needs to go around the block the long way due to Pitt St being one way.

Holiday Inn is the closest but not sure of the layout of the newly refurbished terminal with respect to the baggage drop off area. Will have to check it out.

If baggage drop off is where it always was then Marriott would be closest for the that.

Good to hear. We'll be staying at the Marriott for 6 days prior to our cruise. We're using Marriott Reward points for our stay so it was a no brainer for us.

Good to hear. We'll be staying at the Marriott for 6 days prior to our cruise. We're using Marriott Reward points for our stay so it was a no brainer for us.

The points'ake it an easy decision a few thousand $ without them. Good one.

• 3 weeks later...

the marriott is a great hotel and close to the OPT. Just one caution with walking to the terminal, as you get closer the pavers are quite rough and make damage the wheels on your luggage, so try to avoid this last 50 or so metres and move to the footpath.