French balcony or double balcony on AMA Waterways Tulip Time cruise?

AmyLou666

My husband and I are planning on booking the AMA Tulip Time cruise shortly. I am leaning towards a double balcony room. Do you think the double balcony is worth it when compared to the French balcony? My husband is 6 foot 6 which is a factor in our decision making. Your input is appreciated.

Edited by AmyLou666
Misspelling

It will likely be too cold for any balcony on a tulip time cruise. For any times that you really want to see the sights you will be bundled up on the sundeck. To look out from your cabin I doubt you would want to be outside, so I would go with the French balcony which gives you a wider view. The only exception is if one of you wants air and the other is too cold.

The ships that AMA uses on the Tulip Time cruises have only a few French Balcony cabins (cat. C) -- all located at the rear of the ship and only 170 sf. The majority of cabins are the Twin Balcony design and are much larger at 210 or 235 sf. All cabins are the same length, so the extra space is all extra width giving the Twin Balcony cabins even more light and views. I would go for BB (210 sf) or AB (235 sf) -- both conveniently located on the middle deck.

I sailed on AMA last year (omg next month is exactly a year:eek:) where has the time gone? I went on the Tulip Time cruise

in April and had a window cabin. It was lovely weather but I do agree it was cool/cold out most days. We did have lots of

sunshine:D and whichever cabin you choose, I hope you have a fantastic time:D.....it was in my top 2 cruises all time.:)

But 235 sf is always better than 170 ;)

Agreed!

" Those balconies do you little good when Rafted to another boat or when your side of the boat is docked against a 20 ft concrete wall"

Luckily in 15 cruises with more than 50% of those in balcony staterooms, we have very rarely had that experience for more than the duration of transiting a lock.

And our rafting experiences have been fairly limited as well. One would have the same issue of privacy when in a French balcony stateroom.

On the Tulip Time itinerary, we used our balcony all the time.

Thanks everyone! It looks like we would be spending very little time at a port on this cruise so I'm not that worried about rafting. My husband loves being outdoors on a boat even if it is cold so we are going with the double balcony.