Foodies in Nassau

brenderlou

Thank you but we would rather not do a tour. Did you do this tour? If so can you let me know what places you went to?

We did the tour, enjoyed it thoroughly, but I don't remember the names of the places.

Totally agree with Bob, we did the tour and are doing it again on our Oasis cruise. I don't remember the places we went either, but the food was really good and we enjoyed hearing about some Bahamian customs that you would not hear on your own.

Take the bus by McDonalds, and for $1.25 per person you can go to the Fish Fry. There are lots of different local restaurants there. On Cruise Critic's Ports of Call Nassau page, just search "Fish Fry" and you will get a ton of information

There is a Greek (Edited: Athena Cafe and Bar) place on I believe the Corner of Bay St and Charlotte St. It is on the second floor and has limited outdoor sitting where you can watch the street going on's. The have the on of the best cracked conch platters. Our go to place for local seafood and cracked conch.

Bay St is correct, not sure if it is Charlotte St or not but it is on the same side street as Startbucks and the main drag over on Bay St.

If you like cracked conch, you will enjoy.

Edited by troykahack

I would second the fish fry, we have done a couple of land base vacations to Nassau and the restaurants at the fish fry have IMO better food than some of the expensive restaurants. Try the conch fritters if you go to the fish fry they are far better in the Bahamas than anywhere else we have found. We were there when they had a food & wine festival at the zoo area one fall and all the best food came from booths set up by the restaurants from the fish fry area. You can either walk there or take the city bus (super cheap). It is a good walk but certainly walkable.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you decide to do the fish fry, you may want to make sure it is open. In September a few of us ladies decided to take the #2 Jitney to Arawark Fish Fry. We got there around 12:30 and nothing was open, so I'm not sure when they open. I would not advise walking there under any circumstances. We paid $1.50 p/person each way and there are no sidewalks to walk on and it is well outside the city.

Athena Cafe is very, very good.

Take the bus by McDonalds, and for $1.25 per person you can go to the Fish Fry. There are lots of different local restaurants there. On Cruise Critic's Ports of Call Nassau page, just search "Fish Fry" and you will get a ton of information

Googled and looked for Fish Fry Nassau and there are several of them. Which one? Is it several places close together?

The Fish Fry is not one restaurant. It is a whole block of local restaurants. We've been to several of them. Twin Brothers is one of the popular ones.

Here's a link to a review I did (with pictures): http://susancrow.blogspot.com/2014/09/nassaus-fish-fry.html

Thank you... reviews are mixed just like here on CC. Have you tried Athnea Cafe and Grill? If so, comparison?

Thank you... reviews are mixed just like here on CC. Have you tried Athnea Cafe and Grill? If so, comparison?

I have not. Never eaten downtown actually, although I'd like to try Bahamian Cookin' one of these days. I think I'd feel funny going to the Bahamas to eat Greek food. :)

The cracked conch at Bahama Jammers is better than the version at Bahamian Cookin. Anyone know if the cracked conch at Athena Cafe is better than Bahama Jammers?

Anyone have a recommendation for conch skewers or conch salad?

I've been getting my conch salad from the dude that's on a small boat at the pier behind the straw market near Senor Frog's. The stuff is always delicious but he looks more and more like a homeless dude each time i go. I'm worried he'll disappear soon or his appearance will finally be so disturbing that I won't be able to eat the food.

Edited by somerandomidiot

The cracked conch at Bahama Jammers is better than the version at Bahamian Cookin. Anyone know if the cracked conch at Athena Cafe is better than Bahama Jammers?

I've been getting my conch salad from the dude that's on a small boat at the pier behind the straw market near Senor Frog's. The stuff is always delicious but he looks more and more like a homeless dude each time i go. I'm worried he'll disappear soon or his appearance will finally be so disturbing that I won't be able to eat the food.

No, I don't. But had lots of cracked conch over the years and Athena was equal to some of the best I have had. We didn't get anything Greek.

I used to run charters on large fishing vessels to Walker Cay, before the Hurricane of 2003/4 destroyed it. There was Rosy's, a local joint on the next island over, that had the best of everything Bahamas. It was $30 for a full platter and free drinks. You could have some good parties with the locals. One of the few places I have been were they actually had Turtle on the menu. The ride was by boat taxi.... about a 18' that they would cram 15-20 people onboard. The ride in the dark on the way back was really fun. About a 30 minute ride.

Having said that.... you see many cats and dogs running around in the Bahamas???? You see them wild in the other islands but not much in Nassau or other out Islands.

Edited by troykahack

I have never heard of Bahama Jammers. I just looked them up on TripAdvisor and someone posted that they are closing mid January. Are they going out of business?

The Fish Fry is a series of casual restaurants at the entrance of Arawak Cay (a cargo shipping terminal) You can take a jitney of if you are in reasonably good health you can walk it. Based on my experience the restaurants open before noon.

Edited by gatour

Athenas is our go to on Nassau. Love the conch fritters, the fish gyro, and te conch platter. Last time we were there - they introduced us to Baklava Cheese Cake. OMG! Over the top awesome.