Istanbul on the Emerald Princess

We were in Istanbul for 2 days last year on the Pacific Princess, so I can't help with hotel recommendations, but I can say there is absolutely no need for an organized tour. All of the major sites-- Blue Mosque, Topkapi Palace, the Aya Sophia, the Suliman Mosque, Grand Bazaar, etc.--are all within walking distance of each other. I picked up the Rick Steves guide to Istanbul and he's got excellent walking tours of these sites which you can read as you go through them.

There's also an excellent tram system that is easy and safe to use which can take you further afield.

I highly recommend Neorion Hotel. We stayed there for 6 nights last year. It is within walking distance of all the historical sites and is one of the cleanest hotels we have ever stayed in. It lived up to the reviews.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Istanbul (old Section) is probably walkable. I did walk it when I was in my twenties without problems. I don't know if I could do it now. I know I would not want to do it now especially in the heat. And I walk 4 miles a day when at home.

I would suggest using your roll call to get a private guide with no more than 8 to 10 people. Last time I was there (Oct 2013) the lines and crowds were terrible. The private guides can somehow cut in line and get you in quicker giving you more time inside rather than outside in lines. So if you are there for a short time this is invaluable.

Also a good guide can give you much better information than a guide book. I taught early Istanbul (Constantinople) history and I know our guide was extremely knowledgeable. Besides that we had lunch at her relative's restaurant and it was very good.

If you are on your own I would see if you can book the sites online. Maybe that may save time and money.

Edited by dfields1814

We found it very convenient to stay in the old town section, with a hotel right at a tram stop. That made most tourist sites a cinch. We stayed at the Doubletree by Hilton, which was more luxurious than I expected and not at all "American chain hotel" feeling. [it was also free with Hilton points.]

We stayed at the Istanbul Prince which was fine for us. I recommend staying in the Sultanamet area which is where this hotel is as the major sites are w/I walking distance or even easier is the tram.

We loved IST. and especially liked the Taksim area which rocked by demonstrations some months back. I think it's back to normal and try to see this if you can. A lot of nice shops, restaurants and a great place to people watch.