Anyone else read June Reader's Digest yet?

kyriecat

I was reading through my Reader's Digest magazine and when I got to page 22, there was an article that really got my blood pressure up. The title is "Thirteen Things that Your Hotel Desk Clerk Won't Tell You". It is tips for getting better rooms and rates at hotels. The 5th tip is "Want a more spacious room without paying more? Request a corner room or a handicapped one." :mad: I couldn't believe that they are telling people to take HC rooms away from those who actually need them in the interest of having more space. :rolleyes: I was angry enough after reading that to send them a comment expressing my irritation. It's hard enough sometimes to find an HC hotel room or cabin on a cruiseship without some magazine advising able-bodied people to request them.

I was reading through my Reader's Digest magazine and when I got to page 22, there was an article that really got my blood pressure up. The title is "Thirteen Things that Your Hotel Desk Clerk Won't Tell You". It is tips for getting better rooms and rates at hotels. The 5th tip is "Want a more spacious room without paying more? Request a corner room or a handicapped one." :mad: I couldn't believe that they are telling people to take HC rooms away from those who actually need them in the interest of having more space. :rolleyes: I was angry enough after reading that to send them a comment expressing my irritation. It's hard enough sometimes to find an HC hotel room or cabin on a cruiseship without some magazine advising able-bodied people to request them.

Yes this is wrong on so many levels but it's the reality we lived with..... People being insensitive to the needs of the disabled.

Suggest you send a letter to the Editor of the Reader' Digest .

Reader's Digest has an email address to send comments about their articles. I sent one to let them know I thought they should be ashamed for printing a "tip" to request a handicapped room just to get extra space. I doubt I'll get a response, but you never know. Of course, it won't do much good at this point. The article is already out there so some people reading it might think it is a good idea. It's not like hotels ever ask for "proof of need" when making an HC room booking.

Reader's Digest has an email address to send comments about their articles. I sent one to let them know I thought they should be ashamed for printing a "tip" to request a handicapped room just to get extra space. I doubt I'll get a response, but you never know. Of course, it won't do much good at this point. The article is already out there so some people reading it might think it is a good idea. It's not like hotels ever ask for "proof of need" when making an HC room booking.

Actually under the ADA, hotels are prohibited from asking for that proof. They could be sued if they do.

Candy

Thank you, kyriecat, for posting this information.

That piece was right on the front page of the Reader's Digest web-site.

I sent an email to the editor as well.

Although we are not in need of accessible facilities [anymore], I found it disturbing that RD would print that info.

Particularly since RD often has articles about the struggles and successes of those that are disabled.

slukas

I emailed them when I read it back when the magazine arrived. I also asked a bunch of people I play EVE Online with, and they also emailed them ...

I think it is horrid that they would let the writer make that suggestion. I told them that it was just like parking in the handicapped space because you were too lazy to want to walk the distance to get to the store, or to take the scooter in the store because you were too lazy to walk.

Anyone know how we can contact that Michelle Crouch, the author of the article? She's the one I'd like to send an email to. What an awful thing to suggest----she's obviously never been educated on what's proper with regards to rooms for the disabled.

• 4 weeks later...

I got a reply today from Reader's Digest. I don't know how many other people sent them email messages about their article. This is probably the same response that they sent to everyone -

Dear Dee:

Thank you for taking the time to contact us regarding "13 Things...Your Hotel Desk Clerk Won't Tell You" from our June/July issue. We are very sorry to learn you were upset by one of the items mentioned. We certainly did not mean to suggest that anyone "steal" an accommodating room from someone who needs it. We should have made it clear that readers request one only if the hotel has several to spare, that would otherwise go unused.

As a longtime reader of our magazine, we trust you are aware of how regularly we spotlight the struggles and often heroic perseverance of individuals who face various physical or mental challenges (reference "Hit by a Train" on page 154). We would never intend any disrespect. Rest assured your concerns have been shared with our editorial staff and will certainly be kept in mind going forward.

We appreciate your support of Reader's Digest in the past and hope that despite your disappointment with this article, you will find much to enjoy in our upcoming issues.

Sincerely,

The Editors

Actually under the ADA, hotels are prohibited from asking for that proof. They could be sued if they do.

WHAT? Are you kidding me? Proof is required to use a handicapped parking spot; why not an accesible hotel room? Proof also is required to to have a dog in "no-pets" places such as hotels, right? So to think proof is not required to get an accessible hotel room, especially one that limits furry guests to service animals, is ridiculous. Why have a law that requires proof of disability to park close to the front door, but not proof to sleep in a wheelchair-accesible room? That makes absolutely no sense at all. :mad:

I got a reply today from Reader's Digest. I don't know how many other people sent them email messages about their article. This is probably the same response that they sent to everyone -

I got the exact same clone response :(

I received the same response.

WHAT? Are you kidding me? Proof is required to use a handicapped parking spot; why not an accesible hotel room? Proof also is required to to have a dog in "no-pets" places such as hotels, right? So to think proof is not required to get an accessible hotel room, especially one that limits furry guests to service animals, is ridiculous. Why have a law that requires proof of disability to park close to the front door, but not proof to sleep in a wheelchair-accesible room? That makes absolutely no sense at all. :mad:

A handicapped spot is not the same thing as a hotel room or other business or public place. A hotel (or any other business/public place) cannot ask for proof that a person is disabled in order to give them an accessible room or to allow their service dog to be with and help them. Not asking for proof keeps access equal and private medical information private.

Anyone know how we can contact that Michelle Crouch, the author of the article? She's the one I'd like to send an email to. What an awful thing to suggest----she's obviously never been educated on what's proper with regards to rooms for the disabled.

Here is link to her web site contact page.http://michellecrouch.com/contact-michelle/

Here is link to her web site contact page.http://michellecrouch.com/contact-michelle/

Archived