First-timer Looking for Recommendations

BSinPNS

After following this forum for several years, we booked the PG for the June 1 ten-day Tuamotus sailing. Based on the many recommendations, we are spending three nights after arrival on Moorea (Hilton) and one night after the cruise on Tahiti (IC) to align with our Air France flights from LAX.

We are active seniors who usually cruise on Celebrity and quite often arrange excursions on the CC board, but are not adverse to ship-sponsored ones if they are relatively small groups. We love snorkeling and learning about different cultures in addition to sightseeing.

Since our roll call for this cruise has very few participants, we would appreciate your recommendations for activities on the port calls and ship: Moorea (five days including pre-cruise), Huahine, Bora-Bora (two day stop), Rangiroa, Fakarava, and Tahiti). Thank you in advance.

Bora Bora: I love the safari trip, and the circumnavigation which includes snorkelling with rays and sharks. Either could be done with the ship or other operators.

DD enjoyed the helicopter trip

Moorea I always recommend Mark Eddowes Trail of the ancients. I know many enjoy the ATV tour.

I have done two of the safaris including one that takes you to magic mountain.

Fakarava my favourite is the blue lagoon either the whole. Day with Ato or half day with the ship.

Rangiroa depends on how long you are in Port

Huahine Marc from Huahine Nautique has a good Motu picnic.

Enjoy your trip.

Edited by Emdee

If it isn't whale watching season, is it still worth it to take the tour with Dr. Poole? I know there is much more than whales to see and learn about, but it does kinda seem like the highlight!?1 Thoughts anyone?

Or can anyone suggest another good water based excursion? (We also will be going to Moorea pre cruise)

Thanks!

There are tons of tour operators on Moorea. They will start trying to sell you tours at the airport while you're waiting to fly over (if you fly). Presumably they do this at the ferry dock as well. There will also be lots of choice available through the Hilton.

Michael Poole's dolphin watch is great, if you're into wildlife. Even if you don't see dolphins, the views of Moorea are unforgettable.

There are multiple snorkeling tours, some involving stingray and shark feeding as well. Snorkeling isn't universally great on Moorea, but can be still very good. Used to be you could find a large sailboat, probably a catamaran, that would take you out for the afternoon to sail and snorkel, or in the evening to watch the sunset.

Think about renting a car for at least a day and circumnavigating the island of Moorea. It only takes a couple of hours, even with stops, and is interesting. And drive up to the Belvedere (lookout). All visits to Moorea should include the Belvedere, the views are beautiful. If you can only drive automatic, think about booking in advance. Standard shifts are cheaper. Car will be small, roads are pretty good, if you're careful and don't try to drive too fast.

But I would plan on spending most of my pre-cruise time on Moorea chilling out and enjoying the property, getting in the mood for the great cruise.

My favourite PG excursions, beside Michael Poole, are the Stingray Ballet on Bora Bora, the 4x4 on Bora Bora. I haven't made the Blue Lagoon on Fakarava yet, but I intend to next time. And done forget the Bora Bora motu, if you like beaches and water--free and very relaxing--take your camera.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks, Wendy!

We are on the same sailing as the OP. Please let me know if what I have down so far sounds like a good planning start.

Please give advice! We are up for anything~ Our daughter is 10, but an excellent swimmer and very adventurous.

Which leads me to wonder if she is in the Ambassadors Program if some of these excursions will be included and we can pay to join in?

Also, we are considering on getting scuba certified before this adventure. Where are the best places on this 10 day itinerary to scuba?

Day 1 Papeete -- Embarkation Day! Yay!

Day 2 Huahine -- Huahine-Nautique Combo tour

Day 3 Bora Bora -- Lagoon cruise w/ Polynesian Feast PG or tour with Patrick or another private tour...can't seem to find Christophe?

Day 4 Bora Bora -- Private beach? Can you hop on Le Truck to see the island?

Day 5 Rangiroa -- Drift Snorkel with PG

Day 6 Fakarava -- Pinnacle Snorkel with PG or Blue Lagoon with Ato?

Day 7 Sea

Day 8 Taha’a -- Relax at the beach (anyone recommend anything else?)

Day 9 Moorea -- Spending 2 days beforehand and renting a car to explore the island, so not sure what to do these 2 days if snorkeling isn’t that great

Day 10 Moorea

Day 11 Cry. Just kidding. Well, we will see.

Yvonne, it's not that casual snorkeling on Moorea isn't worthwhile and fun. It kind of depends what hotel you're staying at. Most of them you can just wade in and start swimming, and you will see fish.

Can't answer about scuba or the Ambassador's program, never done that, except to say to make sure you certify before you go so you don't waste time doing that onboard.

Doctor Poole is definitely worthwhile--the scenery looking back to the island is stunning, and the dolphins, when they cooperate, are really beautiful. And sometimes he does a snorkel break. As for the island, make sure to get up to the Belvedere, the views are breathtaking.

I'm not sure about Le Truck on Bora Bora, I know there's a ship's excursion that does this, but don't know if local transport is reliable. You can rent fun vehicles at the pier if you want to drive around.

The private beach on the motu in the BB lagoon is lovely. No facilities, but great beach, and great views back to the island. Snorkeling isn't great, but can be fun, but watch the current out in the pass. Take your water shoes!

Can't comment on your private excursions since I haven't done any of them. Are you organizing them yourself, or joining a group already organized?

Yvonne, it's not that casual snorkeling on Moorea isn't worthwhile and fun. It kind of depends what hotel you're staying at. Most of them you can just wade in and start swimming, and you will see fish.

Can't answer about scuba or the Ambassador's program, never done that, except to say to make sure you certify before you go so you don't waste time doing that onboard.

Doctor Poole is definitely worthwhile--the scenery looking back to the island is stunning, and the dolphins, when they cooperate, are really beautiful. And sometimes he does a snorkel break. As for the island, make sure to get up to the Belvedere, the views are breathtaking.

I'm not sure about Le Truck on Bora Bora, I know there's a ship's excursion that does this, but don't know if local transport is reliable. You can rent fun vehicles at the pier if you want to drive around.

The private beach on the motu in the BB lagoon is lovely. No facilities, but great beach, and great views back to the island. Snorkeling isn't great, but can be fun, but watch the current out in the pass. Take your water shoes!

Can't comment on your private excursions since I haven't done any of them. Are you organizing them yourself, or joining a group already organized?

Thank you again, Wendy!

I am trying to book the excursions on my own, but would be happy to join other groups as well. The problem is there are only 2 others on our roll call other than myself, and I don't want to wait too long to make reservations.

Trying to decide between PG excursions and private (or shared) is what I need help with. We have a pretty good OBC, but it will go fast, I am sure!

Thanks for letting me know about the rentals at the pier in Bora Bora, that is great! So the beach and possibly an island tour one day then.

As far as Moorea, Dr. Poole sounds like the best option to see the island by water.

Did you book directly with him or though PG?

Thanks!

Dr! Poole is most definitely NOT the best way to see the island. By water. You will only see a very small section!

I think since it will not be whale season, and because of the small viewing section, we will pass on Dr. Poole's tour.

Off to see what else I can find. :confused:

Thanks!

Renting a car on Moorea is certainly fun. However, what you will see with Dr. Poole depends. During whale season it is .... whales. Other times it is spinner dolphins, which for me were really a treat. Once there were no whales or dolphins to be found, and we ended up circling the island in the boat and having a brief snorkel. That too was great, and a wonderful way to see the whole island. My Birkenstock-wearing granola-eating tendencies mean that I am also pleased that some of the cost of his tour supports his wonderful work with the whales.

Great itinerary for scuba diving, our dives in Rangiroa (both outside the pass, the tides were flowing the wrong way for us to dive the pass) rank as out best dives ever (by far)

That said, if getting certified in advance of this cruise is not possible, the ship has an excellent Discover Scuba program. After a short class (slides and discussion, maybe 45 minutes long) and a check-out in the pool with equipment, you will be able to go on at least two dives, usually inside the reef in Bora Bora and Shark Gallery in Moorea. On your itinerary, perhaps another dive would be included

The dive crew is truly top notch and they will ensure your introduction to the sport is safe and thrilling. In 2003, we took the DS course on the ship, whetting our appetite to be certified and take several scuba trips including many return trips to the beloved PG.