Booked a Transpacific but having second thoughts

LabGuy64

Hi have a Transpacific booked for 2017 that stops in Otaru,Hakodate and Tokyo.....been rethinking it....the stops don't seem as exciting as Singapore, Hong Kong, Viet Nam or the Philippines. am I wrong about the Japan stops?

I would appreciate and input ...

Thanks

Oh my...Hong Kong and Singapore are two of my favorite. They and Bangkok were on my bucket list and crossed off before it became fashionable. I have been to Tokyo and Osaka/Yokohama, but in my opinion they don't hold a candle to Hong Kong... EM

If you have to pick one cruise....Singapore, Hong Kong, Bangkok, Vietnam are outstanding stops...each one different. Nothing wrong with Japan...it's also very interesting, but if I had a choice of one...I'd pick the singapore,.... cruise.

We did B2B singapore to Indonesia to singapore and then singapore to hong kong stopping in Vietnam. Great Great 28 days.....

we've also visited Japan but not by ship....wonderful country to visit/tour...but better to visit many countries than just Japan.

Edited by ghstudio

in your opinion IS TOKYO really worth seeing?

Oh my...Hong Kong and Singapore are two of my favorite. They and Bangkok were on my bucket list and crossed off before it became fashionable. I have been to Tokyo and Osaka/Yokohama, but in my opinion they don't hold a candle to Hong Kong... EM

Tokyo seems more like New York . We were sorry we didn't stay on that Transpacific for the second part onto Singapore and Hong Kong . We were on the millennium 1 1/2years ago.

To go all that way and see only tall buildings with sky towers and only a handful of temples was regrettable for us. I think a huge number of cruisers did stay for the next cruise and even the one after.

See you on the Fall TA!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We found Japan to be one of our favorite countries in the World. There is a lot to see in the country and the people are wonderful.

There is a lot to see in Tokyo and on day trips from Tokyo, also Kyoto and Nara are worth a few days.

Our cruise was the Millennium's Japan and China and did to stop in the northern ports.

Here is my review of that cruise.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=518503&et_cid=2531924&et_rid=17221689&et_referrer=Boards

Also, did a great cruise last March/April from Singapore to Dubai:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=501167

I have been to Hong Kong three times, it is a great place to visit, but I would take Japan over HK.

Singapore is great as well, but I have read that one issue with the HK to Singapore cruise is that some of the ports are far away from the cities and much time is wasted in heavy traffic.

If you do the Transpacific and end your cruise in Japan, I suggest staying a week post-cruise.

Visit Nikko north of Tokyo as well as Kamakura south of Tokyo. Spend 2-3 days in Kyoto.

Japan is not expensive as many would think. The food is excellent and the Japanese people are very helpful and polite. The cities are clean with no graffiti or trash on the streets, the people are well dressed, crime is very low.

I would pick the southern route also. We are starting in Singapore (to Sydney) in a little over a month. We have been to HK several times and like it, but I don't care for the rest of China. We loved Japan on our Millie cruise. Some years previous to the cruise we stayed there for a week and really enjoyed the food and the people. Absolutely loved the cherry blossoms both in the daytime and at night. If you can go in late March/April, the cherry blossom festival is magical.

Hi have a Transpacific booked for 2017 that stops in Otaru,Hakodate and Tokyo.....been rethinking it....the stops don't seem as exciting as Singapore, Hong Kong, Viet Nam or the Philippines. am I wrong about the Japan stops? (quote)

We took the Vancouver to Tokyo cruise a year and 1/2 ago. Stayed a couple of nights extra in Tokyo. It is a big city--I mean BIG, and quite crowded, but we found it interesting. Same with the port stops further north. I also enjoyed walking around in Petropavlosk. Lots of sea days.

Can't really comment on the other ports you mentioned. Haven't been in Hong Kong for almost 50 years, nor the Philipines for about 30 years. Left Vietnam in 1970, and haven't had any urgent desire to go back. Never did get to Singapore.

Time of year, if in the fall, good chance of some bad weather from disturbances in the tropical areas of the pacific. Read this on a Japan tourist web site. Spring could be cool. We are looking at one this fall, but for problems as mentioned above, Maybe not.

I want to go go Japan, we have been to HK and Singapore and LOVE them and lots of port is South Asia but not Vietnam. Wish I could win the lottery LOL