Scenic Railway Tout

Lola1210

We did the return by catamaran.

The catamaran was extremely crowded.

Problem was almost everyone was over 55 and many much older.

There were not enough seats without climbing around and sitting on the floor and people were not really able to move around easily to stay out of the sun.

Lots of people didn't realize they would need to remove their shoes before getting on the cat and there was no good place to sit down to do it so it took forever to get on and off.

We stood in the shade at the bar the entire time which suited us BUT was awfully hard on many others.

As much as we normally like catamarans, this was NOT a good one. :(

LuLu

• 4 weeks later...

In addition to the above, if you want to have some time to walk around town after the train tour you might want to consider taking the bus back. If you are more interested in having the tour take up your day then maybe the catamaran option would suit you better. We always like having time in the afternoon to do things on our own.

Can I maybe add we enjoyed the railway but in our view it's now far too expensive for what it is. You don't actually see a huge amount from the train and you can actually do an island tour which sees far more and includes drinks and lunch for around half the price.

We did the return by catamaran.

The catamaran was extremely crowded.

Problem was almost everyone was over 55 and many much older.

There were not enough seats without climbing around and sitting on the floor and people were not really able to move around easily to stay out of the sun.

Lots of people didn't realize they would need to remove their shoes before getting on the cat and there was no good place to sit down to do it so it took forever to get on and off.

We stood in the shade at the bar the entire time which suited us BUT was awfully hard on many others.

As much as we normally like catamarans, this was NOT a good one. :(

LuLu

In addition to the above, if you want to have some time to walk around town after the train tour you might want to consider taking the bus back. If you are more interested in having the tour take up your day then maybe the catamaran option would suit you better. We always like having time in the afternoon to do things on our own.

Good information. I had originally reserved the rail and sail, but switched it to the other. Though we also enjoy catamarans, we're not interested in that scenario. And, since it is our 1st time to St. Kitts, we'd like some time to explore on our own a bit.

• 2 weeks later...

We booked our train tour through the cruise line prior to taking our cruise. We were on Royal Caribbean's Adventure of the Seas.

You might be interested in seeing the pictures my wife took and made into a slide show for her website. I'll insert a link below. The slide show includes a few pictures taken on the plane, at sail away from San Juan, and one other shore excursion before you get to the St. Kitts Train Tour.

St. Kitts Train Tour on Adventure of the Seas

Happy Sailing!

HI all!

JimAOk1945 ~ very nice pictures.:D How did you like the train ride?

Would you recommend it?

~ Jo ~ :)

We both enjoyed it very much and I recommend it.

As you probably noticed in my wife's slide show, there are two levels on the train. You can sit on the top section or below in the enclosed air conditioned coach. We did both so my wife was able to get some nice pictures.

Have fun!

Edited by JimAOk1945

We both enjoyed it very much and I recommend it.

As you probably noticed in my wife's slide show, there are two levels on the train. You can sit on the top section or below in the enclosed air conditioned coach. We did both so my wife was able to get some nice pictures.

Have fun!

Did you have to sit facing toward the centre of the train on both levels? It looks very uncomfortable for looking at the scenery on your side and to look on the other side are you not trying to look past people's heads?

Did you have to sit facing toward the centre of the train on both levels? It looks very uncomfortable for looking at the scenery on your side and to look on the other side are you not trying to look past people's heads?

I'm glad you asked. On the upper level, everyone is facing toward the center. This is only on the upper/top level. Yes, it was very uncomfortable. Also, it was very hot and humid.

After a few minutes, we went below into the coach compartment. There was a row of tables and chairs on each side of the coach with an aisle down the middle. There were only two other people in our coach. The windows on each side are very large. We were able to move around from side to side, and turn the chairs to look out and it made it easier for my wife to take as many pictures as she wanted to.

We stayed in the coach for the rest of the tour. It was very comfortable in the coach since it is air-conditioned. We even had a light snack of fruit punch and cookies that a woman served to us.

Hope this helps. Happy cruising!

Thank you very much for the quick reply. I did look at your wife's pictures and saw the coach with tables and chairs. Glad you explained. I think we would enjoy it more in the downstairs part.

Glad to help. As the saying goes, "A picture is worth a thousand words." The descriptions of the shore excursions don't explain a lot of the little details that are important to people who are considering which excursion to book.

Have a pleasant cruise!

Yes, the train ride is only offered through the cruise line when ships are in port.

We have previously used Thenford Grey for the Capital City Tour & Beach Splash and were very pleased with our tour, he does offer custom tours if interested.

http://www.thenfordgreytours.com/

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g147375-d1639418-Reviews-Grey_s_Island_Excursions-Basseterre_St_Kitts_St_Kitts_and_Nevis.html

We booked our train tour through the cruise line prior to taking our cruise. We were on Royal Caribbean's Adventure of the Seas.

You might be interested in seeing the pictures my wife took and made into a slide show for her website. I'll insert a link below. The slide show includes a few pictures taken on the plane, at sail away from San Juan, and one other shore excursion before you get to the St. Kitts Train Tour.

St. Kitts Train Tour on Adventure of the Seas

Happy Sailing!

WOW! Those pictures are gorgeous. I can't wait to go.