Zika Concerns

quest2best

We leave in less than two weeks to celebrate my parents' 57th anniversary. Just read that Zika has been confirmed in the Bahamas. My pregnant daughter, son-in-law and 4yo grandson are booked to travel with us. This is my son-in-law's first cruise and they have been so excited.

Edited by quest2best
spelling

Your daughter should not go, or definitely stay on the ship and use some Deet to play it safe. You do not find mosquitoes on ships.

Everyone else can go, but...:confused:

If it's just a Bahamas cruise (ie 3-night type) I would go, but like you said, stay on the ship. She should be perfectly fine there, I don't think I've ever seen a mosquito on a cruise ship. I would still get some insect repellent just in case. But she would then get to at least enjoy the things on the cruise, just not get to tour the island.

We do have insurance, though I don't think it has "cancel for any reason" coverage. Checking to see if this would be treated as a medical reason. Still trying to decide if all can sail. Evaluating if staying on board is a safe option for her.

Ports of Call are Nassau, Freeport, and Half Moon Cay. We have a Villa reserved at Half Moon Cay and rooms at Comfort Suites Paradise Island in Nassau. Thinking of cancelling Comfort Suites rather than heading to Atlantis without her....if she decides to cruise.

We leave in less than two weeks to celebrate my parents' 57th anniversary. Just read that Zika has been confirmed in the Bahamas. My pregnant daughter, son-in-law and 4yo grandson are booked to travel with us. This is my son-in-law's first cruise and they have been so excited.

That's really unfortunate. I would have her contact her doctor. They will be the best person to advise if just staying on the ship is a viable option. I don't know if insurance would cover this kind of thing, but of course you can always call the insurance company

If the ship is in an area with zika infected mosquitoes does staying on the ship help? Seems like you could still get bit. Or, if hubby goes on the trip, he could get bit and then the virus could be transmitted sexually. The NY Times has a piece today that says even if baby appears normal there may be damage. It just doesn't seem worth it to take the chance.

You daughter should be nowhere near Miami or the Bahamas. I know it's not what you want to hear.... but my goodness, could you imagine if she sees something that even resembles a mosquito bite? The anxiety, stress, fear.... wow, not worth it. I know multiple women who have left South Florida after finding out they are pregnant. It's not the place to be right now. Stay away, far away. That child and your peace of mind is worth so much more than a cruise, regardless of insurance.

Calling the doctor, using deet, staying on ship... this is all confirmation bias. Don't do it. It's unfortunate, but it's reality. Stay away from zika right now. As another poster pointed out, even healthy looking babies born with zika are showing issues, notably their eyes, brain issues, etc. You have a moral obligation to that child and your daughter, it shouldn't even be a tough decision, really. And if you are traveling out of Florida, we have zika issues popping up all over South Florida, including urban areas right near the port. You would be NUTS to risk it, over a cruise? Come on....

My friend who is a doctor.... do you know where his pregnant wife is right now? He's in Florida, she's near Chicago. They aren't messing around with this. You shouldn't, either.

Edited by BNBR

I'd see if you can get your money back, and book an alternate vacation - some nice hotel with amenities somewhere local or without zika issues, etc. Do it now and move on, don't look for confirmation that it's "ok" to travel to destinations with zika, including Florida, it's not.

Your daughter should not go, or definitely stay on the ship and use some Deet to play it safe. You do not find mosquitoes on ships.

Everyone else can go, but...:confused:

I remember one Carnival cruise where mosquitos were numerous and planted onto the windows of my balcony cabin windows as the ship was leaving Cozumel and headed south for Costa Maya and Roatan, and thus I wouldn't even consider opening the cabin balcony door. But I've also been to Cozumel many, many times where I never even saw a mosquito unless I took an excursion that had vegetation involved (for me that was in the grass in front of La Casa en la Playa before they let the group enter the house and then enter the pool and beach area.)

The bottom line is the presence of mosquitos cannot be predicted. But the likelihood of encountering them is more likely off the ship in places where you'd encounter vegetation.

In the case of pregnancy, you just can't predict where you might encounter a mosquito bite. And in the Caribbean now, almost every port has confirmed cases of locally acquired Zika. And because of that, the only safe bet is not to go if you're pregnant.

That's not the answer anyone wants to hear if they've been happily anticipating their hard-earned cruise vacation. But when the life of your baby is involved, personally, I could not even consider chancing it.

Just find an alternate place farther north to enjoy your vacation if you're pregnant. A life literally depends on it.

Best wishes.

First off, where are you going and where from. NOT EVERY PORT HAS HAD ZIKA.

No need to skip it if you aren't going near zika

We are sailing from Port Canaveral to Half Moon Cay, Nassau and Freeport. Nassau is definitely out for my daughter now.

The rest of us will sail as planned. She will decide with her doctor if it is advisable for her to cruise with us.