Taking my mum on our first Cruise, help please.

Portugal1000

We are going on our first cruise on QM on June 10. Just thought we would try 4 nights to start with as not been on one of the big ships before. Been trying to get my husband and son to go on Caribbean cruise for years, (we spend our summer holidays in Florida so would be perfect) but finally gave up.

So I am only really getting around to planning so have lots of questions. Will just ask a few to begin with.

When will I find out our embarkation time? Nothing shows on my voyage personalizer yet.

Is there anywhere I can see a diary of events for each day? We have two days at sea so will need to get involved with the activities. This is what I am looking forward to the most so I hope there is plenty going on.

I was going to book Todds for one night. Do you think it is worth it?

Are there shuttles that run into Hamburg. Only two tours on offer as far as I can see. Not sure my mum up to either. One a concentration camp which I think would severely dampen the mood and another which involves walking. My mum ok with walking but not great distances so wouldn't want to slow others down. Therefore thinking of just having a wander around. To be honest if the weather is good I would be more than happy to spend time on the ship which brings me to my final question for now.

Will there be activities going on whilst docked in Hamburg.

Thank you for your help. Am usually so organised when it comes to holiday but this is new territory for me. Just want it to be perfect for my mum.

What a great choice, I hope you have a lovely time.

Boarding time will be shown on your e-ticket, you will get an email to say it's ready, usually 5-6 weeks before you travel.

There is plenty to do on a Sea Day, there will be a copy of the daily programme in your cabin with events for the next day.

I've not been to Todd English, I'm considering it for our wedding anniversary on our next trip.

I've not done the Hamburg trip but there are usually shuttles in most cities unless you are docked very close to the activities.

There will be things going on when you are in port, less than on a Sea day, but there is usually an afternoon film, a quiz and sports event.

Hope this helps

Are there shuttles that run into Hamburg. Only two tours on offer as far as I can see. Not sure my mum up to either. One a concentration camp which I think would severely dampen the mood and another which involves walking. My mum ok with walking but not great distances so wouldn't want to slow others down. Therefore thinking of just having a wander around.

We have done the Hamburg trip 4 times now and have never done an organised trip. We prefer to go into the town and mooch around. There are shuttles which run from the port to the centre of the city. If you are on Cunard fare , then these are free. If you have paid the getaway or saver fare, then there is a charge and it is added to your account. I think it was about $8 pp for the round trip. They scan your card as you get on the bus. There is usually quite a queue to get on the buses going into Hamburg, but less so on the way back.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

If you know your deck we might be able to guess as to what will be your recommended boarding time. In my experience boarding starts on the high floors and moves down. Deck 11 is around 12:30 and deck 5 is around 3:00 (assuming you're not in a suite or a higher-status repeat guest). About 8 weeks before your sailing you'll find a Voyage E-ticket in your VP will will state your boarding time.

They haven't turned people away for arriving earlier than their assigned time but recently they have begun saying that they will begin to.

Edited by Underwatr

I would not worry about boarding times just arrive between 11,30 & 15,30 . You say that your Mother can not walk very far I would ask for assistance in boarding its a fair walk uphill onto the ship they will take her onboard in a Wheelchair right to her room if she wishes to go there.& the same on disembarking at the end of the cruise. If you find that she has difficulty getting around the ship ask at the Pursers Desk for a wheelchair they keep 16 chairs for those that need them

There is a little information on assistance for boarding and disembarking on the "Ask Cunard" webpages. The link is here to save searching;

https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/before-you-sail/Embark_assistance

I've been to Hamburg twice on QM2 with another planned this year. I feel sure you will enjoy both the cruise there and back and the city should you venture out.

M-AR

If your Mum doesn't think she'll need a wheelchair, but she occasionally uses a cane, have her bring the cane along. DW grabbed a cane at the last second before we headed to the ship and when the shore staff saw the cane they fell over themselves to make sure she didn't have to stand for long, ether checking in or passing through immigration at the end.

Edited by Underwatr

I can walk ok, but I can't stand for very long so I always use a cane when I am in a situation that might involve standing in line. The staff are always very accommodating.

Be sure you don't create a cruise monster. Every time I took my Mom on a new adventure, she had so much fun that she was constantly bugging me to take her again and again, like a little kid on a roller coaster.

We are going on our first cruise on QM on June 10. Just thought we would try 4 nights to start with as not been on one of the big ships before. ... When will I find out our embarkation time? Nothing shows on my voyage personalizer yet.
Hi Portugal1000,

I'm sure you'll have a great time on board my favourite ship. A four-night trip can give you a taster of what a longer voyage might be like (although some activities are only arranged to occur on crossings or longer cruises).

The suggested embarkation time will be sent to you some time before your trip. In the past my tip has always been to board at the earliest possible time, esp on a short trip for those unfamiliar with QM2, to allow time to explore this vast vessel* during the first afternoon on board (before lifeboat drill), plus to get lunch on board.

However, as others have mentioned, they may start enforcing embarkation times this year (we'll know within a few weeks from feedback posted here I'm sure). I hope these rumours are unfounded.

(* Some people have two or three trips before they truly see the whole ship. There are "hidden" corners that seem to escape many; the outside scenic lifts are a good example. Some never find my favourite room on board (the Commodore Club), or the Planetarium (Illuminations) on shorter cruises. When people see the cabin corridors on embarkation many are amazed; for the first time realise just how big this vast vessel is).

Is there anywhere I can see a diary of events for each day? We have two days at sea so will need to get involved with the activities. This is what I am looking forward to the most so I hope there is plenty going on.
You will get a Daily Programme of activities left in your cabin each day, I always take a highlighter pen with me on every trip so I can mark the ones I am interested in, or are not to be missed. There is usually a lot going on.
I was going to book Todds for one night. Do you think it is worth it?
I'd give it a miss on a short cruise, save it for the next one (there will be a next one I assure you ;) ). Todd English food is very rich, and portion sizes can be substantial. I always find the service there to be very "over-the-top" and too intrusive (being asked "is everything alright?" four times during every course). The atmosphere in the restaurant is quiet and "up-scale". Instead of dinner, maybe think of having lunch there?

But do not miss afternoon tea in the Queens Room (arrive at the doors 15 minutes early). It is very popular.

Also, try to stay clear of the Kings Court for breakfast and lunch, it is madhouse (esp on the last morning). Try to take breakfast and lunch in your dining room, or at least one lunch in the Golden Lion (again, get there early, it fills up fast).

Are there shuttles that run into Hamburg. ... Therefore thinking of just having a wander around. To be honest if the weather is good I would be more than happy to spend time on the ship ...
I can see good reasons to stay on board, however, it would be a pity to miss seeing at least the centre of Hamburg. I'd let the weather decide on the day. On my two QM2 visits to the city, there were shuttle buses running.
Thank you for your help. Am usually so organised when it comes to holiday but this is new territory for me. Just want it to be perfect for my mum.
I'm certain that both you and your mum will have a trip to remember and talk about for years :) . I've taken my parents on two voyages on QM2 so far, they can't wait for the next one. I started with a short taster cruise, then they went on a crossing to New York. They had the most amazing time.

Depending on the times of your arrival and departure at Hamburg, be sure to be on deck (port side arriving, starboard side departing) to enjoy the scenes and reception that the locals give to QM2. If at all possible, it is not to be missed.

There are photos from the June '14 four-day trip to Hamburg and return to Southampton on QM2, with pictures of Hamburg, via this link:

And photos of a previous QM2 visit to Hamburg, again four days round trip from Southampton, with some of Hamburg, via this link:

And here is a "tour" of QM2 showing her public rooms, to get you in the mood for exploring the ship yourself:

And via the link below, there are many photos of a few cruises and crossings on the current Cunard ships, esp QM2.

I hope some of this helps, have the most marvellous time, Bon Voyage! :)

Edited by pepperrn

Thankyou all so much for all your replies. I have really enjoyed reading them this morning. As I said, I am a bit behind in planning, mainly as we have a long weekend in London and a week in Puerto Pollensa before our cruise and its suddenly creeping up on me.

I am sure I will have a few more questions but until then, thank you again.