Mosquitos

JJphotos

Anyone know how bad the mosquitos are here (early March)? I'm assuming you don't get them out at sea but we'll be staying here a few days, including the first ship night so I'm assuming we won't be able to have the veranda door open a bit.

I react badly to them :mad:

Anyone know how bad the mosquitos are here (early March)? I'm assuming you don't get them out at sea but we'll be staying here a few days, including the first ship night so I'm assuming we won't be able to have the veranda door open a bit.

Think PR is still on the USA warning list for Zika

If you're staying at a beachfront hotel don't go outside from about half an hour before sunset to one hour after or one hour before or after sunrise. Not only is this the most active time for mosquitoes, it's also the most active for sand fleas or as some call them "no-see-ums". They're almost impossible to spot and their bite itches worst than a mosquito's. Once on the ship you can almost forget about them, but take the precaution of observing the pre/post dusk hours and have DEET bug spray with you. I live in PR, near (as in less than a mile from) mangroves and a useless man-made lake and while mosquitoes are a fact of life here, I have never in my life suffered fro Zika, dengue, chicunkuya, malaria (basically non-existent anymore) or any of the mosquito transmitted diseases. All you have to do is be smart about it.

Is this still even an issue? I thought last year it had spread to everywhere, even affected Miami badly where everyone scattered. Seemed bad for no good reason, well unless if your pregnant, do not want to seem everything is ok but just seems the powers at be try to over scare us.

I stayed in Old san Juan and out all times of the day and never got bit and i am the kind that mosquitos love. Dusk and sunrise are the peek times for mosquitos.

I didn't see any mangroves other than the lagoon next to the little beach entering Condado.

I live in St Thomas (about 20 minute plane ride from San Juan, PR) and I can tell you that right now they are not bad. I have not worn OFF in about two months. The winter months are not as bad as the summer ones. IF there is a big rain anywhere from a week to 5 days before your cruise they may be annoying. I also have not heard of any ZIKA outbreaks lately. The no-see-ums are what get you this time of year. I agree with not being outside near the beach around sunset or sunrise, as they will swarm your legs..and they are small, but pack painful bites. Hope this helps!