Recommend some ports to visit

RolexSubmariner

Hello,

Somewhat of a newbie cruiser here. I've done two cruises in the past, one aboard the Carnival Sensation many years ago and the other aboard the Carnival Breeze in 2015. Both were Western Caribbean cruises visiting Ochos Rios, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel.

I'm planning a third cruise this coming January with a friend. I'm thinking I'd like to do something different, probably still Caribbean for about 7/8 days or so. What are some really nice ports to visit? We loved visiting Grand Cayman but really didn't care for Jamaica. We appreciated how clean and safe we felt in Grand Cayman while Jamaica felt quite a bit dirtier and a bit less safe.

We've also enjoyed Carnival as a cruise line but we want to try something different...probably Norwegian or Royal Caribbean this time. Any recommendations on a great ship? We tend to like larger ships with a lot of activities and choices.

While money isn't necessarily an object, I also hate being nickle-and-dimed for everything. I want to pay one price and then be able to enjoy all the amenities without being charged a fee for this, that, and the other thing.

We're both 26 years old if that helps.

Any recommendations would be appreciated for ships, destinations, etc.

Almost EVERY cruise line nowadays "nickels and dimes" you....they've raised the cost of booze so much, that most folks find they need a "drink package", so that's extra. I guess you know about the "specialty" restaurants....more and more of them, if you want more than basic dining room or buffet food. All of those things can be paid for in advance, so once you're on the ship, you're covered...but it is an extra expense.

As far as itinerary goes, we like the Eastern or Southern Caribbean....

I'm going to have to look up some Southern Caribbean cruises.

We both really like a laid-back atmosphere without pushy vendors. One reason I really disliked Jamaica was that all the street vendors were so pushy and I generally felt uncomfortable.

What are similar ports to Grand Cayman? In terms of cleanliness, very easy-going, not a lot of street vendors trying to sell you cheap merchandise.

The whole specialty restaurant thing just blows my mind. The Breeze had a steakhouse that was about $40 per person and it just irritates me. We ate at the main dining room for dinner, usually just snacked on the little fast food joints for lunch, and had the morning buffet for breakfast.

As far as drink packages, we might have to do that next time as we definitely spent quite a bit on drinks.

In terms of cruise companies, who would everyone recommend for a Southern Caribbean voyage? Norwegian, Royal Caribbean, or maybe something like Celebrity or MSC?

Suggestion...don't focus on which cruise line but figure out which ports you want to visit and then which cruise line has cruises going there. BTW, we love Caymen and really would stay on the ship if we ported at Mo Bay again! Once was enough!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm going to have to look up some Southern Caribbean cruises.

We both really like a laid-back atmosphere without pushy vendors. One reason I really disliked Jamaica was that all the street vendors were so pushy and I generally felt uncomfortable.

What are similar ports to Grand Cayman? In terms of cleanliness, very easy-going, not a lot of street vendors trying to sell you cheap merchandise.

The whole specialty restaurant thing just blows my mind. The Breeze had a steakhouse that was about $40 per person and it just irritates me. We ate at the main dining room for dinner, usually just snacked on the little fast food joints for lunch, and had the morning buffet for breakfast.

As far as drink packages, we might have to do that next time as we definitely spent quite a bit on drinks.

In terms of cruise companies, who would everyone recommend for a Southern Caribbean voyage? Norwegian, Royal Caribbean, or maybe something like Celebrity or MSC?

why not Princess?

If you are going in January, keep in mind that water temperatures can vary and sometimes aren't warm enough for swimming in some areas. I'd go Southern Caribbean, where the temperatures are going to be (for me) more dependable for being warm. Curacao is very clean and very safe. No push vendors that we've ever encountered there and it's a beautiful island. We love Puerto Rico and I think you would also enjoy starting your cruise from there. Do check airfare, since that's an added expense. Remember that on a lot of the islands, getting away from the general port area is going to give you a whole different look at the island. Take a catamaran sail and snorkel cruise. The waters are incredible. Sometimes we opt to stay on the ship on a port day. It's like we have the pool and ship all to ourselves and we love it. For us, the ship is part of the destination, in the Caribbean.

Hello,

Somewhat of a newbie cruiser here. I've done two cruises in the past, one aboard the Carnival Sensation many years ago and the other aboard the Carnival Breeze in 2015. Both were Western Caribbean cruises visiting Ochos Rios, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel.

I'm planning a third cruise this coming January with a friend. I'm thinking I'd like to do something different, probably still Caribbean for about 7/8 days or so. What are some really nice ports to visit? We loved visiting Grand Cayman but really didn't care for Jamaica. We appreciated how clean and safe we felt in Grand Cayman while Jamaica felt quite a bit dirtier and a bit less safe.

We've also enjoyed Carnival as a cruise line but we want to try something different...probably Norwegian or Royal Caribbean this time. Any recommendations on a great ship? We tend to like larger ships with a lot of activities and choices.

While money isn't necessarily an object, I also hate being nickle-and-dimed for everything. I want to pay one price and then be able to enjoy all the amenities without being charged a fee for this, that, and the other thing.

We're both 26 years old if that helps.

Any recommendations would be appreciated for ships, destinations, etc.

January? South America to Polynesia. Find a cruise that stops at Easter Island.IMG_1488313232.269660.jpg.324a28cc2ba2879cde09f766ac9295df.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums