Using cellphones on board

widallas

We are cruising next June on RCCL for our second cruise (w/ DH and two teens). The last time we tried to use walkie-talkies to stay in touch but with limited success… That and it's kind of loud and obnoxious when it does work. My husband had talked about us getting the Verizon package for all four phones so that we can text each other on board. Has anyone used Verizon during their cruise, or do you just purchase the ships Wi-Fi for multiple lines? And did it work? I'm just concerned about how much this would cost and if it's worth it.

If you need a wifi connection, you MUST purchase it thru the ship...that is the tower that any internet will come thru while sailing. You have no choice in the matter.

Texting doesn't require wifi...so you don't need internet to text. I don't know how the verizon package works, because we don't use our phones on the ship! We simply make tentative plans for the day, so everyone knows where everyone else will be!

I thought you are charged, in addition to your carrier, by the ship for anything you use your cell phone for. So, using your cell phone, if not in port off the ship, a ship's expensive. Anyone know more about this, I don't text anywhere.

Always amazed that folks buy expensive smart phones and don't know how they work.

If you have an iphone and text an iphone (and you haven't prevented it in your settings), it will use data (message box is blue). If yours or the other phone doesn't have data on (or the other phone is not an iPhone), SMS (regular cell phone text, in green box) will take over.

In either case, you also need network connectivity- either cellular or data. And, at sea, that means the ship's service(s), which may involve deals with your regular carrier.

The smart thing to do is to call the international department of your cell phone carrier and take about 15 minutes to learn how to correctly provision and use your phone. That 15 minutes can save you many many accidental dollars.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

Always amazed that folks buy expensive smart phones and don't know how they work.

But it is so cool to flash the mega size latest and greatest phone where everyone can see it.

I agree with Flatbush Flyer- take the time to learn what your plan covers and how to use phone by calling your provider or reading about it on the provider's site. There is so much incorrect and conflicting information provided on CC when anyone asks about cell phones on a cruise that trusting the answers here is rolling the dice.

That 15 minutes can save you many many accidental dollars.

So can going no-contract. You top off your wallet with your carrier, and if you run out of $$$, you lose service. It's a heckuva lot better than opening your bill and finding $500 in roaming charges you didn't know you had.

But I dread the day that cell phones are widely used aboard ship. One of the nicest moments of any cruise is when we move away from the shore and most everyone puts their phone away. Then I remember how much I enjoyed not listening to other peoples cell phone conversations during dinner - usually when we have docked for disembarkation and everyone is back on their phone. So there is no question, I am an active cell phone user as are all members of my traveling party. But it's nice to have 10 days of "cell-phone silence. Just my opinion.

True, I don't know everything about my smartphone. (Not the best and newest BTW...my old iPhone 5 allows me to text, call and check my email -- that's all I need.) I'm actually quite happy with what I know about my phone...I have other things to worry about in my life than mastering the latest app or feature.

My question really wasn't about WHAT my phone can do as much as what actually WORKS...I did call Verizon and (of course) they assured me that their cruise ship plan is exactly what I need. I also know enough to not always trust the mega-tele-call-center Verizon rep when he assures me of something...I was just trying to get an idea of whether people have had success with cell phone carrier plans on the ships, or if they use the ships wi-fi and an app to stay in touch.

But I dread the day that cell phones are widely used aboard ship. One of the nicest moments of any cruise is when we move away from the shore and most everyone puts their phone away.

I think we had visions of staying in touch with our kids by texting...really the only reason I would consider it, and I think the cost makes it a non-option. With two roaming teens, it is a bit nerve wracking to not know where they are. (We had a major medical scare with one, so we are a little over-protective this year.) I think we'll have to trust the great kids that they are, and set times for regular check-ins....and enjoy that cell-free time that RoySue was talking about!