Amsterdam - Banks Mansion?

Considering this hotel for our cruise next summer - We will most likely arrive around 7 or 8am, probably without much sleep. We will board our ship the next day. I really like the amenities of this hotel, and it seems to have plenty of nice restaurants nearby. I would really like to do an evening canal cruise, and pretty much relax throughout the day. We plan to get a taxi to the cruiseport the next day. Any suggestions, and or thoughts re this plan? Opinions appreciated!

We are going to AMS this August & staying at Banks Mansion. We will arrive a bit later around noon & probably without much sleep also.

We have never quite been able to stay up all day to acclimate to the time change with flying from the USA to Europe . Many from our roll call are meeting for dinner the day we arrive.

Banks Mansion seems like an ideal location & we were sold on the amenities as well. Our plans are to take a taxi to the cruise port the following day.

At the end of our cruise we are returning to the Banks Mansion for 2 additional days before returning home.

I don't plan to stay up all day either. I have had to work night shift occasionally as a nurse. I find a four hour nap during the day is enough to help me make it thru the day and evening, then usually able to return to bed around midnight . the complimentary cognac in the room should help nicely!

Our friends often stay in Banks Mansion and they love it. Another poster - Lois - just returned from a stay in this hotel before her cruise and yes she also loved it. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2344386

The location is very central, you will certainly like it.

Edited by Ine

I have been following your responses Ine, you are a great source for those of us that have never been there! Is it easy to pick up a canal tour from here? I initially looked at moevenpick and the doubletree, but this just seems a more special way to start our trip. Any restaurant suggestions for dinner nearby, my husband can't walk too far.

I have been following your responses Ine, you are a great source for those of us that have never been there! Is it easy to pick up a canal tour from here? .

I was thinking the same thing - I know that most canal cruises start from the northern end of Damrak, near the Centraal station, about a 25 minute walk from that hotel.

Ine - do you know of any canal cruises that start closer to that hotel?

Thanx

JB :)

I was thinking the same thing - I know that most canal cruises start from the northern end of Damrak, near the Centraal station, about a 25 minute walk from that hotel.

Ine - do you know of any canal cruises that start closer to that hotel?

Thanx

I think rederij Kooy at Rokin is closest to the hotel. Anyway more closer then those near Centraal Station About 15 minutes walk. Rederij Hof van Holland is probably the same distance. Check their website with map and information: http://www.rederijkooij.nl/en

Of course you can also take one of the many trams instead of walking,

Edited by Ine

I have been following your responses Ine, you are a great source for those of us that have never been there! Is it easy to pick up a canal tour from here? I initially looked at moevenpick and the doubletree, but this just seems a more special way to start our trip. Any restaurant suggestions for dinner nearby, my husband can't walk too far.

Banks Mansion isnot that far from Rembrandtsplein and Thorbeckeplein with various restaurants.

Movenpick is a bit isolated re restaurants, doubletree is close to Centraal Station.

At the square in front of CS there is Restaurant Loetje with great steaks, but also on the adjoining street Damrak there are various restaurants.

Re canalcruise see my reply to John Bull.

I think rederij Kooy at Rokin is closest to the hotel. Anyway more closer then those near Centraal Station About 15 minutes walk. Rederij Hof van Holland is probably the same distance. Check their website with map and information: http://www.rederijkooij.nl/en

Of course you can also take one of the many trams instead of walking,

Just a six minute walk :)

We stayed at the Banks Mansion in August & loved it! There are many different canal cruises (because there are many different canals;)) There was a canal cruise that we picked up right around the corner from the hotel-they'll be happy to direct you. We mostly walked everywhere!!

Remember to get your Anne Frank tickets ahead of time-you won't have to wait on line.

Also, if you are looking for a unique dining experience, look into Restaurant De Kas-a short taxi ride away, but worth the trip!

I just stayed the Banks Mansion....I can't believe I have been home a week now :eek:

It is a lovely property and I would stay here again......:D.......I already

wrote a review on Trip Advisor for them too:)

• 2 weeks later...

I stayed at the Banks Mansion for the second time a little over two weeks ago. I would caution that on arriving at 11:00am, there were no rooms available and the best we could do was to put our feet up in the "living room" and enjoy a cup of coffee. When we returned from our 2pm tickets at the Van Gogh Museum, our room was ready and we took a two hour nap. Dinner that night was at the Ponte Acari - a small Italian restaurant about a block away. I highly recommend it if you want to stay "in the neighborhood" for dinner. I highly recommend the Banks Mansion; when they say "all inclusive" they mean it!

Thank you for the information! I'm sure we will probably want to stay in the neighborhood, so I will check out this restaurant. Did you walk to the museum? Was it easy to find a tram if needed to get to it?